If A Guy's Considering A Tone King Meteor...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Teahead, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Teahead

Teahead Member

What other amps should he also consider? I have a good 'net buddy in the US who lusts for a Tone King Meteor, says it's just about everything he would want from an amp.

So, I'd like to know what else he should know about in the same vein. Many thanks for any help, Tea.

2. marks

marks Member

The Meteor is a fine amp.

If you are looking for something to compare it with then perhaps try the Bruno Cowtipper 22 (which has a slightly darker sound) or Carr Rambler (but that is 6L6 powered).

For less pricey options then try the Fender Deluxe Reverb reissue (6V6) or even the Hot Rod Deluxe (6L6).

3. ryhlick

ryhlick Supporting Member

The ToneKing is a great amp for sure, but for other options I would look at the following. I own a CT 22 great amp and have owned the TK M2, and the Rambler, but very much prefer the Blueverb in everyway to any of these amps. You may also look at the Swart AST or SST, or the Pure 64's. There are so many great choices for you out there, that if you end up with any of the mentioned amps you will be stoked. Give the Blueverb, Pure 64, and the Swart a look, just other great options.
    Good Luck!

4. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Bruno Cowtippers. The end of the line in Blackface TYPE tone to my ear. Less harsh, tighter bass, and MUCH better reverb. Other than that, I prefer a good fender to anything else.

5. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

If you decide to agree with Tag, I'll sell you my Bruno Cowtipper 22. Just PM me.

6. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Hey Harry - I have a TK Meteor II, and it doesn't fall apart at all at stage volumes, and the Tweed side gets pretty Marshally, especially with the Mid-Bite control turned up past 4. I DID replace the stock output tubes w. a mixed quartet of Brimar and Marconi 6V6's, and that helped, IMHO. I have the 40w, 2x12" combo.

Tea - the thing aboyut the TK is that it has NO MASTER VOL, so be prepared to move some air if you want a gainy sound. It does take pedals well.

Harry's experience and mine differ greatly w/ the Tone King amps. Harry's a great player and a working musician, so his view is definitely valid. Me too - Harry, I wonder if it's the Comet v Meteor II? I though the comet lacked clean headroom - the M II does not, IMHO. The M II also has bigger xformers than the Comet, so the gain stays together a little batter on the M II than on the Comet.

Hope this helps, Dana O.

7. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

On paper, the Meteor and the Carr Slant 6V are very similar (two channels, 4x6V6 switchable to 2x6V6 poweramp section, Fender-inspired designs). I've owned both, they are both very nice amps, but the extra chime and grind of the Meteor suits me much better.

Comparing a Bruno CT22 and a standard 4x6V6 40W Meteor is not a good comparison. The 40W Meteor will have a much bigger soundstage and more clean clean headroom. Comparing a 40W Meteor to a Bruno CT35 is more of an apples-to-apples situation. I did, and the Meteor came out on top for my needs.

There are a bunch of other Fender-inspired boutiques to consider besides the Tone King........Pure 64, Fargen, Gries are just a few that come to mind.

8. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

This has to be one of the most rehashed topics of all time. What's the list good Fender-based amps.

My advice is: Just buy one and go with that. Doesn't matter which one. If you hang around here, you will change anyway. If you don't hang around here, then any one of them will work for you for a long time.

9. FFTT

FFTT Member

Tone Kings are great even with partial PCB construction.
    all reports say they are quite rugged and roadworthy.

Howsomever, I would also take a serious look at the Category
    5 Andrew and the fine Builds from VVT Amps, Bruno, Divided By 13,
    Gries, Reeves, Reinhardt, Vintone Circuits, Top Hat, Blankenship, and
    Pure 64.

All of these builders offer exceptional hand wired circuits in your price range.

10. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Heritage Patriot.

6L6 power/fender-y reverb/G12H30 spkrs(I have the 212 combo)...BF Fender at it's finest, IMO.

I also dig the Tone King Comet 40B...212 combo version.

S.
    j

11. Teahead

Teahead Member

Cheers for all the suggestions fellas, I'll do my homework and then talk them over with my friend as possible alternatives that he might want to check out. Many of them he's aware of and the Tone King just speaks to him, I can relate to that, as I'm sure you all can. Thanks again and feel free to keep them coming.

12. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Ooops - so sorry. Still, you make your points clearly and well.

Both the Carr and the Tone King are cool amps.

Dana O.

13. ryhlick

ryhlick Supporting Member

Very well said. :AOK

14. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

Well I'll say this...I was so jonesing for a Bruno Cowtipper 22 after playing one in NYC. Then I got to play your Cowtipper - after playing your Blueverb, and it was no contest. Blueverb by a longshot.

So imagine my surprise when I was clued in last night to the fact that my other "jonser" amp - a Swart AST - is sitting on consigment in a local shop.....I went down there at lunch today for a test drive, and man, what a simply cool a$$ amp, in every dept. Sounded a little boxy,but it looked so insanely cool you could get past it. The reverb and vibrato were way cool. Greg V's clips on the Swart site had me pretty much over the edge.

So sitting there I had to justify how often woud I use the verb and vibrato...cash just burning a hole in my pocket. Played a Carr Mercury, played the latest Dr. Z....

In the end I walked out without the amp...it was priced about $200 - 300 above the average used market price. The biggest reason though? It was not a Blueverb. Period. Must have Blueverb.

Steve E

15. SGFan

SGFan Member

Steve, what did you like about the Blueverb more so than the Tone King and the Bruno?