If a musician also acts....

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by GtrGeorge!, Sep 14, 2018.

1. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

I think when A-Bone said it was case by case, he was talking ability in the respective fields. But there's also the case by case aspect of the popularity of the person as to how some react. I've yet to hear a musician complain about Zooey Deschanel!

People like Conan, people don't like Steven Seagal. So it's always so cool when Conan plays, Johnny Depp too, but Seagal is a douchebag because he plays. Seagal is a much better player too, from anything I've heard.

I like Conan by the way, and think it's cool that he plays. I just don't reverse it for Seagal even though I'm not a big fan, it's cool with me that he plays too.

marktweedy and A-Bone like this.
  2. tim gueguen

tim gueguen Member

They don't seem to have the same kind of hangup about it in much of Asia. Jackie Chan had vocal training from a young age and since the '80s has put out 20 albums. Andy Lau has been equally successful as an actor and as a singer.

GtrGeorge! likes this.
  3. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

One of the better musicians turned actor at acting IMO is Phil Collins.

He was great in Roger Rabbit!

(Okay, that last sentence was a joke, but I do think he's pretty good.)

deeohgee and GtrGeorge! like this.
  4. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

I think Phil may have acted before playing drums? Oliver Twist.

GtrGeorge! likes this.
  5. MuddyDitch

MuddyDitch Member

Jerry Reed. 'Nuff said.

6. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Silver Supporting Member

I was just thinking about this, as I just saw that flick with Meryl Streep and Rick Springfield (who wasn't listed in the forward credits) last night, and I thought he did ok - not great, but credible...he was also in some soap for years (General Hospital?) and he was at it a while so he must've been decent...I worked for him when he was just starting his music career, and back then ('74) he was a pretty f'ing good player/singer/performer.

There's a ton of actors from way back that were quite accomplished players (can't recall names atm, maybe somebody can fill in the blanks), mostly pianists and singers, but that was before the pop music "boom" where being an average player could make you rich and famous.:rolleyes::cool:

A-Bone likes this.
  7. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

Hee Haw was a perfect example of both:

8. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

Love that he continued working, has fun, and doesn't take himself seriously.

9. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

I agree, and Dwight's performance in "slingblade" just floored me: a performer who was the quintessential ladies man playing a balding drunk who was easy to hate. On paper, a helluva stretch but he pulled it off perfectly.

10. rowdyyates

rowdyyates Supporting Member

A couple of years back a saw Cabaret at Studio 54. Almost every person in it played an instrument in the band (and played very well), had some spoken lines and dance routines, as well as singing parts for some. I think in that world being good at only one thing won’t get you very far.

Ncp10 likes this.
  11. GtrGeorge!

GtrGeorge! Member

I saw Rick Springfield play last night...and that is what got me thinking. I've seen him play music gigs before and and I am aware that,in his case,it was ALWAYS about playing music and acting happened incidentally. He is a talented guy. But I think alot of people don't give him (especially) a chance (as a musician). Kinda weird. The guy has now been gigging for 40 years..when is someone gonna say "The dude checks all the boxes"?...He is a bonafide musician.
    Cats like Jared Leto, I respect,as well...but for him its very early in the game (will he be gigging in 40 years?) Conan? Most just don't have a long run. Maybe I am missing something here,..give me some insight here..If I missed something.

84superchamp likes this.
  12. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

I always wondered which came first with Springfield but it's true that he is an excellent double dipper.

13. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

I think children shouldn't comment on what adults do.
    It's just like the numbnut musicians who said learning
    how to read and write music would harm ones' creativity.
    Right up there with musicians who said ' Don't sell out ' - while making
    their 3rd record with a single that sold millions - and then went
    on tour produced by people with more money than them so
    they could tour.

14. GtrGeorge!

GtrGeorge! Member

Springfield had already had a very succesful single in Australia and the U.S, well before acting. then he fizzled, got dropped by a label. Got back into the recording game, recorded again. got dropped again....and THEN did acting...cause (if you were in his shoes...) "Not sure this music thing is gonna work for me"..

84superchamp likes this.
  15. drewl

drewl Member

There are several people who were quite accomplished at both, especially in the old days when studios would groom their actors to be versatile.
    It's no surprise that many actors started out as musicians.
    Look at a show like The Office.
    Several of the actors played guitar.

Plenty of rappers have gone on to do some good film work as growing up in a rough environment lent authenticity to their acting, portraying what they actually lived through.

16. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

He definitely doesn't take himself too seriously, contrary to what his acting style would suggest.
    I read his autobiography over the Summer & laughed a fair bit.
    His wife's death was seriously tragic!

[​IMG]

He seems a little prudish on that series with George Foreman & Terry Bradshaw.

17. Trevordog

Trevordog Member

I just found out that Mel Brooks made his living as a musician (drums and piano) playing shows in the mountains, until one night the comedian didn't show up, and he decided to sub for him, and knocked them dead.
    When he wasn't working in show biz, he was able to pick up some gigs to pay the rent.
    But that was a different time, when it was easier/possible to make a decent living as a musician.
    Today it really doesn't matter anymore; it's almost expected that any rapper or singer is going to use their popularity in the music biz to get them a career as an actor.
    Their ability is almost secondary in a time when a reality TV star can become someone, uh, very important...But I was just reading Paul Simon's new bio, and he was very bugged when 'Artie' started getting better and better roles; from Catch-22 to 'Carnal Knowledge'.
    Simon could've just written songs for their next album during the months that Garfunkel did CN, and then they could've recorded them after CN, but something about AG becoming a featured star in CN made Simon flip out.
    Simon told Garfunkel that S&G was all over, and PS embarked on a solo career.
    I think it was this competitive streak that PS had that pretty much ruled his life (and made him the incredible success he was) that made him split with Garfunkel.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  18. jkendrick

jkendrick Supporting Member

19. deeohgee

deeohgee Member

You “role with the punches” if I’m catching your drift.

A-Bone likes this.
  20. deeohgee

deeohgee Member

Sums up Mick’s acting career.

[​IMG]