• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

If a Relic is Blemished, how can you tell?

bluegrif

Yeah, we've been down this road several times. Blems in general can be really good deals, since they're usually just customer returns and not actually blemished (although they can be both). With free shipping and a liberal return policy, they can be worth a shot. Of course there's always the possibility the guitar was returned because it just doesn't have the tone. But I'm betting a lot of returns are just about crappy setups though. And experienced players know that factory setups are all over the map and shouldn't be deal killers. The lion's share of new guitars I buy go straight to my luthier for top notch fretwork anyway, so if you keep that in mind, bargains can be had.

chrisr777

Yes, I understand the concept of B-stock, factory seconds, blems and open box. I think maybe you guys are missing the irony here.

;)

baimun

THANK YOU!!!!!

Now I know how to get that Rory Gallagher strat I've been wanting without the wife saying anything!!!!!

Wife - "Where'd that guitar come from?"

Me - "Uhhh..... Would you believe I found it on the side of the road, in a ditch?"

Wife - "yeah. So are you going to try to fix it up?"

Me - "Nah... I'll just play it as a 'beater' guitar." :D

chucke99

Yes, I understand the concept of B-stock, factory seconds, blems and open box. I think maybe you guys are missing the irony here.

;)
Not lost on me. But since factory relics are done with templates, I wonder if someone puts a REAL, actual scratch on the front of a Roadworn, whether it will decrease its value. I'd be willing to bet "yes, it will" because the actual scratch won't be artistically in harmony with the rest of the relic'ing.

Auriemma

... I think maybe you guys are missing the irony here. ;)
The answer is NO, you can't tell the difference between an dinged "relic" and an undinged one. Its why Fender came up with it. So they can sell blems as new ones, full price.

Luckily...this FAD, like all others, will pass.

baimun

The answer is NO, you can't tell the difference between an dinged "relic" and an undinged one. Its why Fender came up with it. So they can sell blems as new ones, full price.
So for the new "Road Worn" series, they just take all their American Series returns and b-stock.... beat 'em to hell, and stuff 'em in boxes. :D

Blue Fin

I bought a blemished Strat from Music123 and it was perfect except it looked like it had been a return.

buddastrat

Lots or reasons. fret wear, torn vinyl on case. or it could just have been a return. Then it gest sold at a discount. The irony is old dudes.

And most relics don't follow any template. And even the road worns can vary. The smartest buyers imo are the ones who buy a used relic. They can play that thing like there's no tomorrow and then sell it and not take a hit.

chucke99

Most relics don't follow any template. And even the road worns can vary.
Not by much. Line them up at GC and take a look. Even the necks have the same "wear" patterns, and that pattern is duplicated on tele and strat necks.

buddastrat

Not by much. Line them up at GC and take a look. Even the necks have the same "wear" patterns, and that pattern is duplicated on tele and strat necks.

Maybe on the road worns if you sit and compare, but I've owned quite a few CS relics and they've all had totally their own thing. Now the latest heavy relic series issued for Music Zoo is an exception or where Fender is doing a replica of an artist's guitar, but most all through the years have been unique.

THANK YOU!!!!!

Now I know how to get that Rory Gallagher strat I've been wanting without the wife saying anything!!!!!

Wife - "Where'd that guitar come from?"

Me - "Uhhh..... Would you believe I found it on the side of the road, in a ditch?"

Wife - "yeah. So are you going to try to fix it up?"

Me - "Nah... I'll just play it as a 'beater' guitar." :D
Then while you're busy at work, one day the paper boy mentions how much he admires the old guitar from the ditch - the wife decides since it cost nothing, why not be nice to the young man and give it to him?

;)

They've had that one for a while I think. It used to be available for about $ 2,000-3,000 less 3 months ago.

How does Music 123 and MF deal with someone who orders this guitar, keeps it insured to the hilt; has a great lot of fun playing it and then unapologetically returns it within the allotted time window. Seems like a fairly low risk way of easing the GAS pains by renting the fancy heavy relic guitar and then returning it. One wonders how many times this "blem" has gone out and been returned.

:Devil

Trending Topics