If a telecaster is the most unforgiving...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ronster, Aug 17, 2005.

1. ronster

ronster Member

What would you consider to be the most FORGIVING of poor technique?

uh... it's not for me, it's for a "friend" ;)

ronster
    www.moonshotradio.com

2. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I'll probably get flamed for this but.............Les Paul set up with 9's and a gained out squishy Marshall............Play 1 note and you could walk away and it would still be playing an hour later.

Learn 3 Power Chords and your good to go..........

3. ronster

ronster Member

hee-hee! Okay, without the gained out squishy Marshall?

4. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

+1

Humbuckers and a fair amount of gain/compression can help to cover up a lot of insufficiencies in technique...

Taste...? Well, that's another issue... LOL!

5. HHB

HHB Member

gain cant hide crappy playing anymore than a tele can IMO. play a really loud 412 rig where you can hear the straplocks groan when you move and tell me it's covering anything up, the answer to this question is "woodshed"

6. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

A Telecaster.

:)

No, this is not a funny answer.

I know that (and why) a lot of people think that a Tele is the most unforgiving guitar, but it's also the most completely natural and easy guitar to play. Slap on a set of medium-heavy strings and you can bash out anything from simple open chords to out-of-time leads and it will sound great - through just about any amp.

That's why so many punk and indie bands like them...

I must get myself another one ;).

7. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Sorry guys, but all this talk about forgiving guitars and what instrument is the most pure is pure hogwash, any guitar can be set up to play easily or play like ****. I can put 12's on my Les Paul and 9's on my tele and my tele will be easier to play.

It also can take a lot of skill to play well with high gain. I hear people like Van Halen, Satriani, Vai etc... they use gain and humbuckers I wouldn't say they are cheating because the use a humbucker guitar or a high gain amp.

If I had to say anything it would be this, lighter gauge strings and low action equal more forgiveness. Bigger frets can have a lot to do with forgiveness especially when it comes to bending a note.

Let the person buy what they like, if they are happy there will be plenty of forgiveness.

8. Gary F.

Gary F. Member

John Phillips, I take great interest in your intelligent posts and usually either agree or, better still, learn something, but I disagree with you on this one. A tele will cut you no slack. It is a guitar only for those whom have found a voice, and it still has the ability to humble in its simplicity. No place to hide. A Humbucker equipped LP or shred machine plugged into a gained out amp (visit Guitar Center on any givien Saturday) unfortunately makes too many young guns think they sound just like their heroes, with no place for ME to hide, LOL.

Best,

Gary

9. cvansickle

cvansickle Member

Any guitar played clean, electric or acoustic, will reveal the true talent of the player. With added distortion or fuzz, you can afford to be a little sloppy. But a clean Les Paul that is played badly will sound just as crappy as a clean Tele that is played badly.

Furthermore, a highly distorted guitar that is played badly is not something that any of us want to listen to either! (You know who you are!)

10. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

...though the reverse can also be true - some bad techiques are amplified by gain/compression (poor muting, hitting adjacent strings accidently, poor vibrato, off intonation on bends...).

11. trisonic

trisonic Member

I don't know about most "forgiving" but after playing Strats and Tele's for a while my Les Paul seems easy playing - probably a function more of the short scale coupled with playing width and flatness.

I don't get any of that after playing my Chapin Strata-houla which has the same true-Gibson scale but a compound radius fret "board" (it is a one piece neck).

Best, Pete.

12. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

In general I don't find it more or less forgiving than any other guitar, *however* I can guess where that general impression comes from and why they are perceived that way....

A tele using the bridge pickup into a loud clean amp will reveal every nuance of picking, string control, and expression simply by virtue of the fact we *hear* bright tones better than mellow tones with the highs rolled off. They simply cut through. There is no doubt if you screw up. Using the neck pickup or playing into a distortion pedal, a tele isn't nearly as different as any other guitar.

The ability of the tele to reveal every touch is what makes it so powerful in the right hands and so annoying in the wrong hands. Not terribly unlike a violin in that respect.....:)

13. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Sorry, total nonsense! :) A Tele set up right will sound great no matter how you play it. Like I said earlier, why do you think a lot of student/alternative/punk/indie bands use them? Because they're so easy to get a good sound out of. They sound fine through any amp within reason, and you simply can't play anything that sounds really bad. Set with a warm medium-crunch type of tone, you can thrash away on it however you want. Even clean, the Tele has a naturally even, full tone which is much easier to make sound good than any other electric guitar I can think of.

I'd pick a Tele every time as the guitar that's easiest to get away with most on. It's true that they can be revealing too, when played well, but that isn't the same thing. I think a lot of you are kidding yourselves that you're somehow "noble" by playing an "unforgiving guitar". Try an archtop, that's unforgiving :).

No offense intended of course... I just find it hard not to laugh when I hear that a Tele is "unforgiving", or that someone would pick one for that reason on purpose... and not because they make you sound good ;).

I also disagree with harry that light strings give more forgiveness. They may be easier to fret, but they're easier to push out of tune and make sound bad. A lot of beginners make this mistake and wonder why they can't make everything sound tuneful. Light strings can let you play fast but they also require more subtlety.

BTW, this is exactly one of the reasons I use 11s and want to find a good Tele - because I'm no great player, I'm quite hamfisted and thrash away at it. I've owned Teles before and they were very easy to play. I only changed because I wanted a guitar with a trem, really... and I'm missing one now.

14. John Bell

John Bell Supporting Member

Careful.The teles are listening and they're not happy.:cool:

15. Unburst

Unburst Member

Absolutely agree, I never agreed with this myth that a Tele is more revealing than other guitars, in fact, because Teles sound so good I find them easier to play because everything sounds better on one.

fwiw, I find Strats much less flattering to play, especially on the bridge pup.

As far as guitars that are forgiving of poor technique?
    I've never heard one, a sloppy player is a sloppy player no matter what guitar they're playing.

16. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

You clearly have not heard the same people I've heard....:D :D

17. fatback

fatback Member

My Tele and I have made up and all is forgiven.

That Selmer is still an unreasonable beotch that won't let me get away with anything though...

:D

18. 57special

57special Member

not to mention the intonation...

19. Gril Grissom

Gril Grissom Member

+1