If Brazilian fretboards were cheaper and more readily available- would you prefer it over....

cap10kirk

I don't really care either way. As long as it's not maple or a perfectly uniform solid black slab of ebony, I'm okay with most fretboard woods.

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
Assuming the BRW board looked nicer to me, which was likely in past days when it was plentiful, I would consider it a plus. I do like the look of a nice dark board. But choosing between two guitars in a store? The two would have to play and sound very similar before the look of the fretboard became a deciding factor.

Rick51

I've liked every maple and every ebony fretboard I've ever had. Mixed results on rosewood. The worst I ever had was on a 70s Gibson LP Standard.

olejason

Doesn't matter. I have a few mandolins from the early 20th century with it and it's a beautiful wood but doesn't contribute to tone at all. I prefer the look of ebony for fretboards. If you play with with proper technique your fingers will never touch the fretboard wood so feel doesn't come into the equation for me either.

AaeCee

Silver Supporting Member
If I wanted rosewood, yes, it would likely be my choice.

Besides, I like the extra zing it contributes tonally. :hide

Mr Shades

I think it all depends on what you play. if your gonna play heavy metal; your not really gonna hear a difference due too the massive amount of gain involved. if you play blues and smoother styles that requires cleaner tones, you will notice a difference in the guitar's response.

Now having both Brazilian and non-Brazilian boards on two Les Paul type guitar; I notice that both guitars sounds the same. HOWEVER, the Brazilian board is much nicer, smoother(in feel) and that guitar happens to be more punchier and "alive". I don't think the board has much to do with it, I think its more about the quality of all the woods and construction of the guitar itself.

A good guitar is a good guitar.

vds5000

I've had 3 PRS guitars with solid Brazilian rosewood necks (still own one of them). I would say that the bass tones were very noticeably emphasized with 2 of the 3.

jvin248

I prefer using a single wood species -- like all maple, for less variation that you'll get with dissimilar woods.

There is also the whole environmental fragile rain forest baggage that goes with rosewood/ebony/mahogany/etc.

If guitar builders were better they wouldn't need the crutch of exotic woods to sell guitars ....
If players could play 'just a little bit better' they could avoid the crutch of exotic woods (should they believe the wood is the cause for their good/poor tone).

GA20T

EIR has always been more beautiful to my eye, but there are exceptions.

iu

burton56

If Big Macs cost $129 per burger and the average filet mignon was $0.29 a lb, I wonder what would happen?
My thoughts is a lot of people would get tired of filet mignon and wonder what all of the Big Mac rage is about.
Brazilian Rosewood might look nice but much of the fuss is about attainability and price.

Amp_Addicted

My favorite guitars seem to either have maple or ebony fingerboards. I have a few with rosewood. My Guild Starfire XII has a BRW fingerboard. For sure it's prettier than my other rosewood fingerboards, but I don't really notice much of a sonic difference.

Sp8ctre

I had a custom build with a BRW board and it didn't do anything for me.

I prefer a very dark Ebony board myself...

guitarpedaladdict

Gold Supporting Member
Nope, and I own a guitar with a BRW board. Its a beautiful board, but so is the IRW board on another guitar I own. I'm with the guy who, a few posts back, said "its the quality of the board" not where it comes from.

colinesquire

I personally can't tell the difference, so for me it's a "don't care". I know this is usually a "Les Paul" question, but the last guitar I had with a Brazilian fretboard was one of these. It wasn't even a question in 1959... if you bought bulk rosewood based on price, you got Brazilian:
cmas_new_11.jpg
Yep! I recently got a 1960 Silvertone with a nice looking Brazilian board and bridge saddle. This should end the argument that there was something special or exotic about it at the time as silvertones and danelectros were made of the cheapest possible components.

aleclee

TGP Tech Wrangler
Staff member
Owned a couple BRW guitars:
  • PRS BRW Singlecut
  • 20th Anniversary PRS Singlecut (Artist Package came with BRW fretboards)
I prefer the feel of BRW compared to IRW (smoother, more like ebony) while it still sounds like rosewood. Most of the stuff available in recent years hasn't had the coloring that I prefer.

Not gonna argue about tone. Even if we agreed that it sounded different, it would be a fool's errand to suggest that one objectively sounded better.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom