If EBMM brought this model back…..

Johnny Alien

Silver Supporting Member
I prefer the older Axis Sport with the pickguard to the new Axis Super Sport so I agree. The new Stingray has a thicker version of that neck and it's perfection. I have to disagree on the jumbo frets though.

candid_x

Silver Supporting Member
My son has an MM90 Sport for sale here. I had one, and am a fan of 6105 tall, narrow frets. My hands don't mesh well with the asymmetrical neck shape but I loved - LOVED - the HSS pickups on that guitar. I learned that it left the factory red and it had a beautiful black coat when I bought it. If it had the Silo Special neck, I'd still be playing it. I think the bridge HB was the same as the Axsis Super Sport, but not sure of it. It was a little rock machine.

Last edited:

Jimi D

I had one of these in green back when my hands were worse than they are now and I was playing Axis' pretty much exclusively for a few years... Here's a pic from back then:

The pickguard was entirely optional on those guitars... I'd looked at a couple without the guard installed but it came with the guitar. The routing was such that it really was unnecessary; you had to remove it to adjust the pickup heights which was a huge PITA...

progholio

Silver Supporting Member
I had one of these in green back when my hands were worse than they are now and I was playing Axis' pretty much exclusively for a few years... Here's a pic from back then:

The pickguard was entirely optional on those guitars... I'd looked at a couple without the guard installed but it came with the guitar. The routing was such that it really was unnecessary; you had to remove it to adjust the pickup heights which was a huge PITA...
Wow, i dig that 2nd guitar (Axis w/rosewood top?).

djlynch

Silver Supporting Member
I like both of those new EB models. I haven't played one but I bet they give you some nice stratty tones but still play like an EB. I don't care what anybody says EB has a feel that is their own. Few makers can say that

John C

Gold Supporting Member
I like both of those new EB models. I haven't played one but I bet they give you some nice stratty tones but still play like an EB. I don't care what anybody says EB has a feel that is their own. Few makers can say that
As long as you like EBMM necks the Cutlass is a really nice Strat alternative. I tried one out last month at the local GC; they did a really nice job of recreating some mid-60s Strat pickups for this one (evidently they are done in-house), and the new Silent Circuit really works well - I was playing through a Deluxe Reverb RI (the silverface one, so I guess it's a "vintage modified") and the Cutlass was dead quiet. The new circuit also has a buffered out put - so you get the same output level on all 5 switch positions. When you're used to the volume drop in positions 2 and 4 it takes you a bit off guard at first. The downside with the new circuit is when the battery dies, the guitar is dead. On the old Silent Circuit when the battery died you just lost the noise reduction.

The neck is a satin poly finish instead of the oil and wax - but it's very organic feeling, and is somewhat in-between say Fender's satin finish and the oil and wax. The shape is a mild V that morphs to a C - kind of like a Eric Johnson Strat but not quite that thick. With the SS frets it's pretty slinky feeling. I was just kicking tires that night; I played a Cutlass, an EBMM StingRay, 2 Fender American Elite Strats (HSS and SSS), and mixed in an American Standard Strat and American Standard Tele for good measure. If I had the funds, the Cutlass would have likely come home with me - or at least it would have come down to the Cutlass or the American Standard Tele. I just didn't click with the American Elite Strats (I didn't even plug in the HSS), and after playing all the single coil guitars I suppose I didn't give the StingRay a fair shot. In all fairness the StingRay and the American Elites would probably pair up better with a modern amp than the reissue-style Fender amp.

Trending Topics