If everyone is charging the same, where do you buy from?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by BadAssBill, Feb 25, 2015.

1. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

I'm going to probably be buying some Yamaha DXR or DSR powered speakers here soon. It seems like everyone has the same exact price...and I don't see any holiday sales in the next 30 days or so.

Who would you buy from and why? I'm thinking I may actually try to support the local brick and mortar stores. Powered speakers can be tricky as well if anything goes wrong.

Thoughts?

2. modulusman

modulusman Member

I try to buy locally whenever possible. I bought a pair of dxr10s and a DxS12 sub from my locally owned store. I got the tops for the same price as the online stores plus they threw in the covers. The sub I got for $50.00 less and a free cover. They might give you a better deal than you can get online. Doesn't hurt to ask.

3. scottlr

scottlr Member

I call my Sweetwater guy and ask for his best price. It's always lower than the listed price online. Free shipping, no sales tax, and a bag of candy. No brainer to me.

4. Nelson89

Nelson89 Member

Local store mainly because you can bundle some extra things in for an overall cheaper price like spare cables, covers etc.

5. rangerkarlos

rangerkarlos Member

Buy locally, drink globally.

6. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

The only times I've ever gotten the lowest price I've found from Sweetwater (after their rock bottom price) was on sub $10 items, thanks to the free shipping.

Anything of any value you can always get it for less than my Sweetwater rep can offer if you look around.

I've bought a good bit from them, but they are virtually never the lowest price I can find.

Also paying the asking price on $500+ items is only for suckers.

7. texasdave

texasdave Member

Trying to juggle some DSRs into my spending allotment. What you'll prob find in general is a lot more folks probably have stock of DXR than DSR. Buy what you really want, but the better discount may happen on the DXRs. That's a limited survey of inventory, but that's my best guess. If you find a ridiculous deal on DSRs with shipping, PM me ;)

Texasdave

8. Semitone

Semitone Member

MAP= "ask for a better price"

9. slybird

slybird Member

For new gear Amazon is the first place I check. I have no issues or reservations about buying anything from Amazon provided the vendor and product reviews are favorable.

Prices are always competitive and I've never had any issues with any Amazon purchase. Some of the larger gear items I have purchased include: speakers, mixing boards, microphones, powered monitors, effects, and one guitar. All have gone without issues.

I also trust the Amazon product review system. Unlike opinions on TGP the Amazon reviews have never steered me in the wrong direction.

10. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

Agreed, I buy a lot from Amazon. But when I look for these, and really amost all the powered speakers, they all have the same price. I may save 40 to 70 on a demo unit...but I don't think that's a good idea on a powered speaker.
    I had my first return to amazon a few weeks ago, and it went fine...but I'd hate to send back a large speaker.

11. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Member

I've had great service from both Musicians Friend and Sweetwater, although I usually buy from MF when they have one of their many 10-15% off sales.

12. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

Full Compass.
    Usually cheaper than anyone else.

13. dcbc

dcbc Member

Same here.

14. OilsFan

OilsFan Supporting Member

For pro audio stuff these days always look at ebay. There is an all out war going on between pro audio dealers there. They will list stuff with big markdowns as "Like New" or "Open Box" or sometimes "Used Mint" and offer full warranties, then say they have 50 or whatever in stock. Wink, Wink, who has 50 open box items? They just do it to list a low price and not break dealer agreements. Everything I've ordered from reputable dealers this way has come to my door unopened and brand new in box. Look for known authorized dealers like Proaudiostar, Pitbull Audio etc.

15. Jazzydave

Jazzydave Seeker Silver Supporting Member

Yep, I've seen this a lot as well. And, as mentioned already, I have "people" at nearly every major retailer in the country. I call around and see who's willing to budge a little (or a lot). For the ones I've bought the most from, they seem to always offer me a better deal. I'm also a big fan of Amazon...especially when I find those sort of secret deals that only last a few hours! I've purchased some great gear at stupid prices on there.

16. mattball826

mattball826 Member

sweetwater told us web price was best they could do. we went to pro audio star for one unit (only 1 they stocked) and mf happily matched pas's price on the other.

17. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

I got my DSR112s from MF for $750 a box.

18. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

If it's something I have to try out, I buy it at the local GC so I can return it easily. Otherwise Amazon, I because I have Prime.

19. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Somebody's always going to sell cheaper. I'll buy locally sometimes, but sales tax usually makes it impossible to get the best bottom line.

ProAudioStar carries a lot of name brand stuff and their prices are usually the best, but you have to call and talk to them to get it.

20. rangerkarlos

rangerkarlos Member

I think it's important to support my local mom and pop. Rock bottom price just isn't as important to me as the local resource and community that a music store brings to the local musicians