If I already have a Big Muff do I need a Fuzz Face?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Kev O))), Jun 2, 2008.

1. Kev O)))

Kev O))) Member

The title says it all.

I currently have a BMP, USA (modded to triangle specs with mid-switch, etc.) and was wondering if I could use or get another flavor of Fuzz.

I was thinking an Si Fuzz like the Fulltone '70 or new Jimi Hendrix Fuzz Face but I wonder if a Si Muff would be too similar to an Si Fuzz Face.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

2. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

You need food clothing shelter and love.
    BUT, they are totally different fuzzes. FF is a "clean" fuzz until cranked, and responds to dynamics vis volume pot (crank FF then roll volume to 9 on guitar= classic sound). Muff is a wall of infinite sustain.

3. meterman

meterman Member

Very different animals, and for the most contrast I'd try a germanium fuzzface. Silicon will sound different but still high gain, lots of sustain, etc. Germanium has less gain but is very warm and dynamic, lots of shades of dirt available, etc.

4. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

I was in your same place not too long ago. Picked up a Si fuzzface and believe me its WAY different. Both can do the wall-of-fuzz sound when cranked, but they do very different single note lead sounds. The si fuzzface is more violin/trumpet like in its attack/sustain, and the bmp is more of a vacuum with a feedback loop. The tonestack is also very different. BMP is a mid scoop pedal, and FF provides a slight mid boost.

5. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

If you love fuzz, you need both. Or, rather, you need some sort of Ge fuzz. Not necessarily a Fuzz Face, per se.

6. ibobunot

ibobunot Member

After you put your Face into a Muff your life will never be the same... :banana

7. mfgobbi

mfgobbi Member

You may try a huckleberry: big muff tone with the fuzz face dynamics.

8. Turnipfarmer

Turnipfarmer Member

9. daddyo

daddyo Guest

You need both.

10. geetarman

geetarman Member

Two completely different animals I have both.

11. iggs

iggs Member

As others have pointed out ... two different beasts and sounds, I have both and use them both equally.

For Fuzz Face sounds, my Phoenix Custom Electronics Supernova just kills, it's an amazing FF fuzz with some xtra tweaking options.

For Big Muff sounds I went through a few ones before I got the MJM Foxey Fuzz which is absolutely amazing BM fuzz. Wall of sound, infinite sustain, nice harmonic feedback and thick fuzz that still cuts through ... it's got it all!!!

12. meterman

meterman Member

+1, I went through several Muffs including a couple different EH versions and the MJM sounded best to me