If I am going to use Switchcraft Style Pancake Plugs....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ROTHNROLL, Mar 22, 2008.

1. ROTHNROLL

ROTHNROLL Member

I want to use the plugs that Gururyan uses below

I am going to use Canare gs6
    http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=543
    and the switcraft plugs.

My question.. do I need to use Heat shrink on these?
    Is this all I need
    1. Plug
    2. Cable
    3. Solder

thanks in advance..

2. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

are those switchcrafts still available? i was looking for them a few months ago and could only find the newer, plastic backed models available.

3. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Yes they are available. IIRC www.effectsconnection.com has them for sale. Also, no need for heat shrink with these as the shrink won't fit. IF you want an absolute no fail cable then you could make them, test them, then goop them with nonconductive epoxy. Of course you would never be able to fix a connection without sacrificing an end and a little cable. IME they are pretty sturdy without the epoxy if you aren't TOO rough with your pedals. They just don't fit on some closely placed top mount jacks. I know they don't work too well with danelectro and the ibanez soundtank pedals. IMO, the taiwanese flat rt angle connectors are a little easier to solder as they have a hot and ground solder connection. I haven't had one fail yet.

http://www.effectsconnection.com/oscommerce/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=76

http://www.effectsconnection.com/oscommerce/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=140

4. silverface63

silverface63 Member

If your are using these for pedal patching, let me suggest the Van Damme cable. It fits perfect, sounds great and is very bendable. Thanks for reminding me, I think I'll build a few right now.

5. ROTHNROLL

ROTHNROLL Member

Great,
    Are you testing them with anything but a multimeter?
    That is all I have.
    I was planning on making a bunch for inbetween the pedals. Whatever pedals that will not work, I was planning on using straight switchcraft plugs.

6. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

I actually have a cable tester by planet waves. Using a multimeter is good, but sometimes there can be a tiny short just enough to bleed you of your high end but will still show connectivity on the MM. I see you are looking at cable from redco, I can also attest to Lavaman's cable AND superior customer service. He's helped me and plenty others around here.

7. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

wow, that is bizarre. i contacted switchcraft not too long ago when i was looking for these and they said the 238 stereo pancake jacks were still available but the 228 went to a plastic backed version. glad to see they are stilla round.

8. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

I've been contemplating wiring up my whole board with Evidence Monorails.

I've got Canares on the board right now, the thinner more flexible variety; they are all wired with Taiwanese Flathead Plugs like the ones shown here.

http://www.effectsconnection.com/oscommerce/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=140

Do you guys think it's worth it to upgrade to the switchcraft ones?

I was thinking to use my existing plugs and remove the cables and replace them with the monorails.

I had a pair of Canares with Amphenol plugs for my guitar cables, I recently changed them and tried out Evidence Lyric HGs and believe it's a world of difference. Much more highs and midrange punch than the Canares, hence my motivation for changing the Canares on my pedalboard too.

9. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

I am looking at the 2 different plugs right now in hand and the only differences I can tell is that the taiwanese version has a paper insert to keep from shorting on the back plate and also has a place to solder to ground instead of having to solder to the casing like on the switchcraft. Also, the white plastic part near the tip is a hard platic on the switchcraft and what seems to be a slightly softer plastic or hard insulating material.

10. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

11. ROTHNROLL

ROTHNROLL Member

The one's I plan on using are the GHS audio right angle plugs.

Does anyone recommened any other cable than Canare GS6?

12. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

I'm currently using the Canare GS4 variety, the thinner more flexible one.

The GS6 you're referring to is the thicker one, much like an instrument cable.

To my ears there's no difference between the two actually!

Anyone tried out Evidence Monorails yet?

13. Ricman

Ricman Member

location, location - it's the most important thing
    Take a look at this place. They have what you want plus...
    http://www.tubesandmore.com/
    I've ordered from them before and they are very good.

14. ROTHNROLL

ROTHNROLL Member

[​IMG]
    Does anyone know who sells these style plugs besides Lavacable?

15. j_m_s

j_m_s Member

those plugs in the picture are george L plugs.

theres also bill lawrence cables which has similar plugs.

16. ROTHNROLL

ROTHNROLL Member

17. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

I use mogami for my pedalboard and Lava Elc for board-amp and guit-board. Lavaman has a pretty good description of all these cables on his site if it will help. IMO the mogami was a tad bit warmer than george l's which helped tame my Barden pickups in my tele. :D