• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

If I buy a genuine Fender Stratocaster body...

Scottjo64

If I buy a genuine Fender Body, and a genuine Fender neck (with a genuine fender serial number) and buy every piece of the guitar from Fender or Fender approved and supplied vendors, Is it a genuine Fender Stratocaster? Or is it a Frankencaster?

SJJ

Gclef

It's a parts caster.

A genuine guitar is one that is purchased whole from somewhere, as it came from the factory.

Now, one could argue that any mod will make a genuine fender a partscaster, but I see that as silly.

One thing is for sure though, a partscaster made up of all fender parts can easily be passed off as genuine.
The real strat guys know the differences and can usually spot them right away.

moehuh

By definition that would be a partscaster. You build the guitar from parts you buy, independent if everything is made as Stratocaster parts.

Genuine Stratocaster would be a model entirely built and assembled by the manufacturer. Some "boutique builders" are in fact just building partscasters, because they buy a lot of the parts external instead of manufacturing themselves.

Ron Kirn

Platinum Supporting Member
If Fender didnt assemble it, its a partscaster.

Well. . . maybe.... Perhaps a historical perspective may help...

Back in the day, like the late 50's . . the early 60's... a kid could walk into Marvin Kay's on Main Street here in Jacksonville, the local Authorized Fender dealer.. and ogle a broad array of all the parts necessary to build Teles and Strats.... necks, signed and dated ya might note as well as the bodies.... Pickups.. everything.. even the screws.... all laid out on display tables...

I can still remember making note of the price of all thiose parts .. going home and figuring up how much it would cost to make my Strat.. then how many Lawns I'd have to mow to cover the cost. It worked out to if I did 6 a weekend, I could buy everything when I was about 57.. :eek:

But . . . there were guys that were buying the parts, piecemeal.. and assembling them at home....

Now note . . . ALL the parts were directly from Fullerton, taken from the stockpile ready for assembly, and all carried all the necessary indicators that one would use to validate it's authenticity... Thus one may extrapolate that there exists an uncertian number of Genuine Fenders that never saw a Fender factory as an assembled guitar.... and no one dismisses them as partscasters.. mainly becasue no one can tell..

I have assembled a few made from the collection of "genuine" parts.. they make exceptional guitars, every one. Thus, I'd say don't worry about what someone calls it.. if they DO throw some disparaging dribble at it.... just pick it up and rip a few unbelievable riffs and ask, "so anyway, can YOU do that on YOUR guitar?" ;)

r

germs

a partscaster is a partscaster is a partscaster.

you might not know about it, you might not like knowing about it, you may not agree - but them's the facts.

at the end of the day, the guitar is only worth what you can sell it for.

Rmccamey

So, how do you go about the process of finding or getting parts for partscaster? Are there some good parts stores with authentic Fender bodies, necks, etc? Or do you usually start with a busted up authentic you buy on the cheap and build from there?

JB6464

If the neck serial number and body serial number or factory markings dating the two somehow don't match it's a partscaster .
Nothing wrong with partscasters though , they are my favorite since I have never found a guitar off the wall new that I like from the get go .

Tech By Trade

So, how do you go about the process of finding or getting parts for partscaster? Are there some good parts stores with authentic Fender bodies, necks, etc? Or do you usually start with a busted up authentic you buy on the cheap and build from there?
Solo music sells all you need in Canada. Stratosphere will supply you in the US.

66fuzz

Silver Supporting Member
MJT and Musikraft are wicked good.

Warmoth
Allparts
Stewmac
Local music store
The big three online

Trending Topics