If I didn't like a Bad Cat Black Cat, will I like a Matchless SC-30?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tele_jas, May 9, 2016.

1. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

As mentioned in a previous post, I had an offer to trade my Z-Wreck for a Matchless SC-30.

Thinking back, a few years ago I traded my Dr. Z Stangray for a Bad Cat Black Cat 2x12 combo and didn't like it.....I ended trading it off 3 days later. Quickest amp turn-around I ever had.

I guess my question is, are these basically the same amps? Or is there a significant difference?

2. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Yes, they are essentially the same amp. I've heard some folks say that have owned/played both that the Black Cat is a little darker/warmer than the C-30. I have a HC-30 myself but, have never played the Black Cat.

3. FFTT

FFTT Member

What's missing with the Z-Wreck that you'd like in another amp?

4. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

Well........About $1500 ;)

I actually made the decision that, since the shows I've been playing the past 2 years have dropped off and gotten smaller - I didn't need a Z-Wreck for those gigs I'm playing now. Just too much of a too nice of an amp to not be used a lot. So my original idea was to list it as "trade" for a different/less expensive amp, plus $1000-$1500. Something like a Maz Jr, Hayseed 30 or Morgan AC20 (or similar). But my first offer was for a straight across trade for the SC-30.

So it's not that the Z-Wreck is missing anything, it's just got "too much". I really liked my Maz Jr a few years ago and think that would be more than enough for what I do, and not sacrifice too much (if any) on my tone.

5. FFTT

FFTT Member

Trying to think of smaller but not too skinny.

Divided by 13 BTR 23 or RSA23
    Magnatone Twilighter Single
    Reeves Custom 30 with power scaling standard. 2XKT66 = 2/3 Bluesbreaker 1/3 Hiwatt
    Allen Encore
    Gries 35
    Germino Club 40. 30 watt Bluesbreaker version.

6. Kris Richards

Kris Richards Supporting Member

Yeah I didn't care for the badcat blackcat amp at all. Loved the matchless. More gain on the badcat though.. If that's your thing!

7. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Yep, I've owned both as 2x12 combos and the Black Cat was definitely warmer/darker.

8. FFTT

FFTT Member

If you don't care for the Black Cat, you should try the Hot Cat 50R open back cab with AlNiCos

AC50 to Plexi

9. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

:munch

Guess I should add at least something...

Well, you know you like the Hayseed 30 and it has a half-power switch for smaller rooms etc. On the other hand you have had and dig the Maz. Those 18w are Z-watts and would work for you.

What about a Budda 18? Should be loud enough for most rooms and gives you two channels. (I know nothing of this amp - I was just reading a thread on it. Ha!

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  10. MHG

MHG Member

I also found the Black Cat to be warmer/darker, but also bigger/stiffer in feel as well. I definitely preferred the Matchless, but in the end wasn't able to bond with it either. My favorite of the Sampson amps was the Star Gainstar, but in the end sold that as well. They all just lacked that vintage mojo in both tone and feel.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    hacinador likes this.
  11. markstullkc

markstullkc Member

I think you will miss the wreck......

12. Geetarman74

Geetarman74 Member

I've owned both and they are VERY similar amplifiers. Sold the DC30 only because of the weight...killed me to lug it around. Now have the Black Cat head with K master and love it. Both are great amps.

13. Aslan

Aslan Silver Supporting Member

I never understand these threads, why don't you just get a Bad Cat Unleash or a Fayette Power Station and keep the Z-Wreck (great amp), you could then play it at any volume in any size of venue? Matchless SC30's are every bit as loud as a Z-Wreck so I don't see the advantage in trading, am I missing something here?

14. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

Volume isn't the issue.... It's more of a "GAS attack". As I mentioned, I started the idea of trading for something of lesser value because I don't need a $3000 amp to play for 25 people, but I don't want to compromise my tone for the times I do play in front of 2000+ people. So I was aiming for a MazJr or Hayseed 30, but was offered a Matchless SC-30....So, the GAS started ;)

15. Stormin

Stormin Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

If you take your foot, and kick the Wreck over on its face, it'll only be a $2500 amp. Sorry Jason - couldn't resist!