If I didnt like the Menatone Howie would I not like the Barber Burn Unit?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by therhodeo, Jan 2, 2008.

1. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

The Howie was probably the worst gear purchase I've ever made. I couldnt wait to get it off my board. How similar is the Burn Unit? I play a huge variety of music and basically I'm looking for a nice smooth lead sound. I don't care how dumble like it is. Just smooth and sustaining.

My guitars: FMT Telecaster, Peavey HP EXP, 79' SG, Baja Tele
    Amp: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45 into an Avatar 2x12

2. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

I hated the Howie as well. It obliterated my guitar sound. The Burn Unit is night & day. It can be set to be as transparent as you want, and can get some seriously smooth sustain. Great pedal. :AOK

3. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Thanks. Yeah I own a King of the Brits and thought the Howie would be at least as good. Wrong. Farty bass, glitchy noises on sustained notes, etc. I was amazed at its crappiness.

4. Jam119

Jam119 Member

BUEQ is very smmoth... Let's your harmonic overtones shine through... The Dynamics control is fantastic and the pedal is versitle with both single coils and humbuckers...

5. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Very good to know.

6. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

I hear ya man. I didn't "get" it either.

FWIW, the Barber Tone Pump EQ is also an amazing overdrive pedal if you want smooth & transparent. The Burn Unit rules as well. Different league than the Howie, to these ears anyway, 100%. :cool:

7. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

I don't care for the overdrive channel on the Howie but I have been running my Eternity and Zendrive through channel one set real clean and the tone is f%##%g amazing! I was just about to sell my Howie when I figured this out so this pedal is definitely a keeper.

8. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Paying for 2 other $300 dollar pedals to have a reason to keep the third $300 pedal is a little out of the question for me. Also I dont want to keep a pedal the size of the howie on my board unless all of its getting used.

9. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

Glad to see others didn't dig the Howie. I thought it was going to be the temple of all pedals but I couldn't stand it. If a Dumble amp sounds like that then I ll not take out the second mortgage on the house.

Since I am into the Vox thing lately I would like to try their AC30 in a box, or whatever its called. I have been quite content with my Fulltone Full Drive 2 and the OCD but of course always looking for the next best thing.

10. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

I love my King of the Brits and would really like to try the Top Boost in a Can.

11. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

Hey why not one of you guys sell me your Howie then.:D I'm one who has to try it myself.:BOUNCE

12. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

did you guys try the new howie? the 8 knobber? Best pedal I've ever heard!!!!

13. mfgobbi

mfgobbi Member

The burn unit can be set kind of like a robben ford tone, but it can do a lot more, including the higher gain tube screamer-ish thing.

14. jpagey

jpagey Member

At what settings? Got mine right here. The clean boost, dumble and marshall tones are pretty easy to dial in. Not so sure about a ts thou.

15. Bodhisattva

Bodhisattva Member

I'm not that familiar with Robben Ford's work, what's a good tune to use to get a feel for this fabled tone?

and my 2 cents is howie=good. I have the 8 knob version.
    But from what you guys say i would like to check out the Barber stuff too, i think it's cheaper anyway.

16. Bodhisattva

Bodhisattva Member

Make that 7 knobs and an EQ switch - the Howie

17. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

I had the newest version of the howie. I've had lots of cheap pedals and I'd rather play through a DS-1 and Bad Monkey than have the Howie on my board.

18. ed84246

ed84246 Member

I think the new Howie only has 7 knobs actually, unless he's already unleashed another one. Personally, I love the tone of the 6 knob PTP hand wired one. Sounds much more natural and amplike. It's funny, I never saw this much "Howie bashing" before. I hope everyone's talking about the new one because the old Howie sounds perfect to me. I don't experience any "farty" bass whatsoever from the pedal. As far as the Barber pedal goes, like most Barber pedals, I think it's good, but not great. IMO Lovepedals and all Menatones (yes Howie included) are a step above the Barbers. I'm not saying Barbers are bad, they just sound a little non-distinct to me to be honest. A little lackluster when compared to most other boutique pedals.

19. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

I believe mine was about 5 knobs and I DID have the glitches and farty bass as described by another Forumite. I at the time owned a Fulldrive 2, trying to get as close to my Mesa MKIIC+ sound as I could get in a pedal, and was looking for the Holly Shootski of all OD pedals. I still use the FD-2 alot. The (whatever vintage) Howie lasted about half a gig. My band-mates also noticed the difference too.

I am glad you said Howie Bashing and not Menatone bashing. I have not had a chance to try their other pedals and am keeping an open mind.

20. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

Do you own the old one? And are you interested in another?