• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

If I didn't like the Quilter Tone Block...

metropolis_4

Gold Supporting Member
... is there any hope that I would like either the Micropro or the Aviator?

To clarify, I'm only interested in the tone direct out of the XLR output, and the two things I didn't like about the Tone Block were that it felt dark and muffled to me. It didn't have the openness and chime I want. I also wasn't thrilled about overdrive pedals in front of it. To my ears, they did the same thing they do in front of other SS amps, and that is to sort of sit on top of the tone of the amp rather than blending with it.

Is the Micropro or Aviator worth a try, or am I gonna have the same complaints with them?

DaveKS

Why would want a SS power amp if your just going to use the direct out. Plenty of amp in a pedal choices without the power amp, some even with tube preamps and effects loops.

jpage

I thought you bought an AC15? I liked, didn't love, the Aviator and actually thought it was voiced pretty dark. Never tried the TB tho.

metropolis_4

Gold Supporting Member
I thought you bought an AC15? I liked, didn't love, the Aviator and actually thought it was voiced pretty dark. Never tried the TB tho.
The TB was the first thing I tried since it seemed like it might be a good middle-ground option. I went out and bought the AC15 after the TB didn't work for me.

I was still curious about the other Quilter's since I would really love to have a direct out and no stage volume, but it sounds like they just might not be voiced well for me.

charley

Gold Supporting Member
Ok, so I was reading your original post and thinking how interesting it was, as my experience with the Tone Block has been completely opposite. But now I think I understand......if you are using the DI, you still really need a speaker attached. According to Quilter, the speaker effects the DI. It will still work with no speaker, but will sound dramatically better with a speaker attached in my experience.

For a silent stage, the Tone Block may not be your best option.

That being said, I LOVE my Tone Block live. It is light, portable, and sounds excellent. I use a cab on stage, and the DI sounds fabulous....so much so that I am seriously debating scrapping the power amp to my "more expensive" rig to use 2 TB's. I find the TB packs so much value and great tone in such a tiny package, and the inclusion of a DI with speaker emulation takes it over the top for me.

csweldon

Ethos? The direct tone is FANTASTIC! I sold mine when I got my Fuchs, but am still GASing hard for an Ethos Clean Fusion amp. Won't be as loud as the quilter, but if going direct it won't matter!

charley

Gold Supporting Member
I have both the Ethos Clean and the Tone Block. I like running the Ethos into the Tone Block (set flat). This provides a better tone than either unit on their own. I have compared the DI only feature of both units as well. The Ethos is excellent. The Tone Block is better. The Ethos lacked body, and sounded very "small" relative to the Tone Block. As I mentioned, using them together creates a monster.

Trending Topics