If I Like My Barber Gain Changer, then...

Presc

I really dig my Barber Gain Changer - the transparency, dynamics, and clarity are awesome. I use it as a low gain boost for adding a touch of grind and hair, and I have a Direct Drive for higher gain stuff. I'm struggling to find a pedal for the middle ground between the two.

I have a Zendrive now, but it really colors the tone and I don't find it very natural sounding. What I'd really like is something akin to the GC in terms of transparency to my base tone but with a touch more midrange and a less gritty character to the drive. I'd like it to sing a bit more in the upper registers. Any suggestions?

jaymeister

I have both the GC and DD on my board too. Good stuff!
There are lots of options, whether they be individual pedals that do what you want or something stackable.

I stack a Klon KTR for what you are describing...maybe a Klone type pedal will get you there...signal path for my dirt is LMMD->GC->CDD->KKT

Last edited:

Kenny Blue

Gold Supporting Member
GC with mids? Well that is the GCX!
Indeed ! I had a GC for a short time, but let go of it because I also had the LTD SR and UnLimited pedals as well and the CG was pretty much a combination both of those, plus a regular LTD in one pedal. But I preferred the LTD SR and UnLimited pedals to the GC personally for some reason.

When the GCX was first released, a number of weeks ago, I ordered one as well. I LOVE it ! !

The addition of the Mid Control (on the GCX) was huge additon, to me. I let go of the LTD SR and the UnLimited pedals because for me the GCX is as good as each of them and better, imo, because I can now dial in Midrange to taste. It has quickly become my favorite, and "on most of the time" pedal.

I also have a Barber DD and a DD Low Gain (as well as a Tone Pump II) and, for me, they really all pretty much take care of the full spectrum of gain / overdrive that I use.

Presc

Thanks guys! A Klon-type could make sense; I've never tried one.

The GCX is intriguing but I'm worried there's too much overlap with the GC. Can the mids knob take you past the middle voice toggle (fat mids) on the GC? Beyond EQ, I find the gain structure of the GC "crunch" rather than "smooth" so I'd also like something with a bit sweeter top end. But perhaps a bigger mid hump partially accomplishes that by inherently decreasing treble focus.

jaymeister

In addition to the Klon I mentioned above, you could also try a Blues Breaker type pedal...there are several popular variants made by builders.

Mark Milliron

Silver Supporting Member
I'm beginning to sound like a broken record on this but you really can't go wrong with a Bearfoot SYOD1 or SYOD3. Great amp like overdrive with a really nice midrange. Highly recommend!

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
as well as a Tone Pump II
What's the currently available Barber pedal that's close to the Tone Pump? The TP is my longest continuously used pedal. A local store has one NOS and I'm thinking of buying it as a backup, but I'd consider something else from Barber.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
What's the currently available Barber pedal that's close to the Tone Pump? The TP is my longest continuously used pedal. A local store has one NOS and I'm thinking of buying it as a backup, but I'd consider something else from Barber.
I've had both.. the Tone Pump sounds a little different, but yes the Gain Changer would be their closest current model in sound similar to the TP

Trending Topics