If I like the OCDv3 on High with Drive at zero....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Crowder, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

I find this odd, but I am a bit odd myself.

I have an OCDv3, and the tone I like best from it is on the Hi mode with the gain/drive knob at or near its minimum setting. Is it a little odd to want to use a drive pedal that empirically has too much gain for me except at the minimum setting?

FWIW I am running my Scarab fuzz practically the same way.

I know it technically doesn't matter and that if the pedal sounds best to me with minimal gain I should just enjoy it that way. But I'm wondering if I ought to look for a pedal with the same general tone, but more useful range for my stuff.

Thoughts?

2. meterman

meterman Member

it does sound great at low gain, I found that with gain above noon it started sounding fake to me while low gain (9:00 was my usual setting) with big volume was very amplike and sounded great with most amps. I did prefer the darker LP setting with my Strat. I replaced the OCD with the Plimsoul and run the gain on that one pretty low too. Low gain/high volume generally gives my amps the most natural sounding kick

3. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

I like the gain the low on my FD2, and thats fine with me because it sounds great. When I had an OCD I did the same. I use dirty amps, so using OD pedals as boosts often works better. I do run the pedal's volume high though.

If it works, it works. That said, you may like boost pedals, or low gain OD as well. Certainly no harm in trying out different things. Just don't sell the OCD unless you've found a worthy replacement!

4. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

If it works for you it's right! You didn't say whether you use any amp distortion, your speakers, your playing style, but as long as it sound rather good it can't be bad.

I know many are those that e.g. run the Tube Driver very low. Some even use a 12AU7 in those to even lower the gain. For a mild texture effect or an amp+speaker combination with lots of headroom that is a very sweet tone to be had right there.

5. Octafuzz40

Octafuzz40 Member

That is my M.O. with respect to drive pedals: I like to set the drive knob low for a cleanish overdrive and then build dirtier tones by stacking or just going straight to fuzz. I had the OCD for years and used it precisely as you say (altho' I recall prefering LP mode). In the last couple of years, I've moved to RAT clones (and recently a WF Reissue) that I use almost exclusively in the same way. I don't know why, but I just love the sound of a good RAT pedal with the drive barely engaged. There's a real texture and dimension to the sound; it stays clean but w/ an edge that I can't find w/ a lot of other ODs--and believe me, I've tried a lot of them. HBOD (and SHOD) were to me the best of the lower gain ODs and I did often set the gain higher w/ them. But I'm stuck on the low gain RAT sound these days (not unlike, in my mind, the low gain OCD sound).

6. HBob

HBob Member

I like the OCD (v1.3) set that way also. Adds a nice edge and a little dirt when you dig in. I've also been using an EQD White Light OD set with the drive all the way off. Makes my amp sound like a little Princeton. I think I hardly ever turn up the drive knob on my OD pedals above 1:00.

7. p.j.

p.j. Member

If it sounds good to you then you're set!

PJ

8. shawnshack

shawnshack Supporting Member

I love mine on a variety of settings. Not weird at all!

9. sleejay80

sleejay80 Member

I'll go out on a limb to say that,
    the closest thing to the OCD is the Boss OD-3:omg

Not saying they sound the same, but they share similar ground.
    Gain range, slight scoop, bite/edge, amplike, etc etc etc...

10. El Gallo Negro

El Gallo Negro Member

From OCD to muffs to Rats to TS types, I always prefer high volume/low gain into a loud amp. Gets **** cooking.

11. dap9

dap9 Member

I don't care much for my v3 past noon. And mostly I have it around 9:00. I just don't think it sounds good beyond a light OD.