If I love telecasters will I hate one with noiseless pups?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by wyattt, Feb 20, 2012.

1. wyattt

wyattt Member

I love traditional telecasters. I like guitars with P90's. Not a huge fan of humbucker guitars for the style of music I play. Would I like a tele with noiseless pups?

2. jjcolas

jjcolas Supporting Member

It all depends on the pickups. I highly recommend the Dimarzio Area T's or the David Allen Johnny Blades (I played a prototype set at NAMM). I would try to go with a noiseless set that doesn't use ceramic magnets and aren't wound super hot. The hotter they are in the noiseless world usually means that it's dull.

3. GA20T

GA20T Member

I was just going to post the very same question. I've got a down payment on an American Deluxe Tele w/ "samarium cobalt noiseless" pups. Sounded good in the (noisy) store the few times I tried it, but definitely sounded "different" than the Nocaster/'52 setups I'm accustomed to.

4. 12StringStrat

12StringStrat Member

Tough question. I've tried Kinman's, Samarium Cobalt, Area T's, Seymour Duncan blades, Noiseless, Lace Golds/Silvers/Hot Golds/etc and personally I can say that I don't like any of them. That's because they sound different from the Alnico 3 pickups in the 8502 telecasters. If I actually preferred Alnico 5 sounds, then maybe the noiseless style pups would be more on my radar.

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

if you don't mind the hum, then there's no reason to compromise (and noiseless solutions are always a compromise.) if you don't mind P-90 hum, then fender hum is nothing!

the least compromise i've heard so far is with the dimarzio area pickups; the least least is a suhr with his hum-canceling system.

6. frankthomson

frankthomson Member

itll be nice, but it wont really sound like a trad tele

7. Ben Sp

Ben Sp Member

I have a tele with a stock noiseless in the neck position, and I think it sounds GREAT

8. wyattt

wyattt Member

Thanks for all the replies. The reason I asked (forgot to mention) is that a guy wants to trade me a fender fsr ash tele with vintage noiseless pups. I need to play I need to play one before I decided though. He's out of state.

9. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

I'm moving away from noiseless pickups after a few years of being with the DiMarzio Area/Virtual stuff. Not that they sound BAD, mind you, just feels like there's something missing.

10. lord preset

lord preset Member

I seriously hate hum and have found that I can work with noiseless PUs on my Strat. However the traditional telecaster sound is very specific - it has to be just so or it becomes something different, not necessarily bad but not a telecaster. i tried a couple of noiseless Tele PUs including Bill Lawrence but I ended up with a straight up 52 Reissue. I just try to pretend the hum isn't there :p

11. coot tone

coot tone Member

Find a used set of Bardens. I lusted after them for years, finally got a set, and was prepared to be let down because I had wanted some for so long. I wasn't. Not everyone likes them, but I do. To me they are like vintage Tele sound, with a little Gretsch Filter 'Tron (the hi-fi aspect of them) thrown in. And the absolute best Tele neck pickup I've ever heard, period.

12. AceBSpankin

AceBSpankin Prince of Ales Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have Bender Froadcaster with the Kinman broadcaster set and they Rawk!! I can get Don Rich/Twang and all kinds of Keef/Boss rock tones as well. I don't hear anything lacking in their tones, but YMMV!!! And their as quiet as my LP's Buckers!!!

13. bluesking55

bluesking55 Supporting Member

Ck out Bill lawrence. I have a TN model in the neck of mine, very sweet

14. wyattt

wyattt Member

Sounds like I'd have to upgrade these pups regardless...

15. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, fender's own noiseless variations are not so great (guitar's a winner though).

16. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

+1 The Kinman Broadcasters are killer!

17. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Some people split hairs to much IMO.

My Dimarzio Virtual T equipped Tele... sounds like a freakin Tele. The custom Tele I'm having built right now will have Dimarzio Area T's in it. I didn't even consider other pickups, it was a foregone conclusion before I even placed the order for the guitar.

If you use any appreciable gain, compression and other effects - and don't like hum it's a no brainer. If you don’t mind hum… that’s a different story.

18. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I have Area T's in my tele and it absolutely sounds like a tele. I've owned a whole lot of boutique pickups and i don't feel like I'm missing anything with these. It's a very resonant swamp ash guitar - might have something to do with it.

19. throbert

throbert Member

I think you would enjoy the Bill Lawrence 280/290 set. The Bardens have their own sound but they are good. The Kinman Broadcaster set is also good but the Lawrence worked better for me and were priced a lot lower.

20. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Silver Supporting Member

Dimarzio and Kinman sound pretty good for me...I don't like any of the noiseless "hot" tele pickups...I don't like the Fender SCN's at all. I don't even plug in guitars with those any more...I just play the guitar acoustically and if it rings good, I yank the pickup assembly and install Lollars. I can deal with the noise, it's a tele.