If I love the Scumback M75, I'll also love (INSERT SPEAKER HERE)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dukeh62, Jan 24, 2012.

1. dukeh62

dukeh62 Supporting Member

I love the Scumback M75. Unfortunately, it does not fit in my Tone King Imperial. Jim and I were both scratching our heads on this one...but I've since heard from another Imperial owner who tried the same speaker (It's the mounting hole placements...not the actual size of the speaker).

So...I'm looking for something that is on par tonally with the M75.

Any suggestions?

2. rburkard

rburkard Gold Supporting Member

While not quite on par with an M75, the ASW KTS 60 & 70 are very nice speakers if you can deal with their higher efficiency. The Mojo B25 is very similar to the M75.
    Rene

3. dukeh62

Any other suggestions? I know the M75 is a tough one to match!

4. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

Emi GB12, higher efficiency and more in your face, but similar voicing. More raw and less cool Scumback vibe with humbuckers/gain, but has a little American meets brit flavor with single coils, very nice.

5. billconnorsfan

billconnorsfan Member

How's about the new Celestion Creamback? Its like a G12M-65 if ever there was one!

6. Dave_C

Dave_C Member

Maybe Jim can drill you some new holes to make it fit OR maybe you'll need to modify the holes on the amp to get it to fit. I'm wondering if the amp is wrong because my M75s fit my Germino cabs and my M75-LHDC fit my Glaswerks cab perfectly and I thought they speacing was the same as all other Celestion types.

7. dukeh62

I talked to Jim about it. He informed me that the current Eminence mounting hole placement (Eminence makes the Tone King speakers) is about an 1/8" off from the standard Celestion specs. Normally this wouldn't be a problem when only using 4 of the holes and not having anything obstructing the speaker in either direction. But in the Imperial, the very bottom of the speaker's frame sits up against a piece of the baffle reinforcement, and you need to get the speaker just a nut hair lower to line up the holes. I could make it work if I removed a little of the wood from that baffle reinforcement, but don't think I want to go there.

8. Dave_C

Dave_C Member

Ahhh....got it! So, it really *is* the amp...as I've been able to swap Celestion and Eminence types easily without ever really noticing the 1/8" difference because I find you have to shimmy the speaker around a little with the bolts untightened to get both types centered and able to be hand tightened w/o undue friction. But, if you can't shimmy the speaker, then I can see how you'd have problems.

I was going to recommend looking at the WGS Invader (a 50W GB type) but I have no idea what hole spacing they use. So, you may be limited to Eminence speakers with this amp.

9. Onioner

Onioner Member

Do it. Sounds like you only need to remove a little bit.

10. jamison162

jamison162 Member

I didn't find the mojo similar to the Scumback at all...I'm sure the cones are not treated, doping the same etc. That's big part of it.

Can you replace the baffle or drill now holes?

11. jamison162

jamison162 Member

I don't get how the holes don't line up. If any speaker would fit, why not all...isn't it a standard spacing? Which M75 did you have: Weber or New Scumback?

I would think one of them would fit unless they source the exact same frame.

12. Canon

Canon Supporting Member

was also going to say Emi GB-128