If I responded to your CL, how put off would you be if I asked...

stevel

A lot of bands put very minimal information in their CL ads. For some it's probably because they're not serious, but I can see where it might be intentional for others who might be trying to avoid getting responses from people they've already heard from and didn't want, or former bandmates, etc.

I consider myself a pro - I'm not a "full-timer", but I do approach everything on a professional level.

Unfortunately, no one else seems to.

But I would hope, if a pro band put out a minimal ad, they wouldn't be offended by these questions.

For example:

Guitarist needed for Top 40/Pop/Rock cover band.

I would ask:

Do you guys have any gigs booked? If so, what are you taking in per man? What venues are you playing?
What's the name of the band? Do you have a set list you can send me or website I can check out?
When do you rehearse? Are you holding auditions? If so, is there specific material you want a potential player to work on?

Things like that.

Or, do you guys think I should just completely avoid ads like that. Often they'll hit me back and say "well, we're just forming" or "we rehearse every Sunday but don't have any gigs booked".

And of course none of them have a website - that's one quick way for me to find out if they have their sh*t together or not.

But I don't want to miss out on something that could be great and the person just places rudimentary ads because they are either not great writers, or got elected to place the ad by everyone else, or are trying to avoid divulging too much info becuase of former bandmate problems, etc.

Thoughts?

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
I have run very detailed ads and minimal ads. No one responds to highly detailed ads. Someone may satisfy 95% of what you want, but not apply because of one thing on your list of requirements they're not sure of. Minimal ads get the conversation started -- you can then talk on the phone. On the whole, I think that's the best way to go. Then again, I don't think I ever found someone good via CL.

I can't see why someone who's at least half-serious wouldn't respond your questions.

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
Me and my musician friends have never encountered someone who didn't have tracks online that was any good, but after a while, you stop barking up that tree.

It's like folks who don't have a drum kit/amp. Get back to me when you do.

slybird

In the minimal case you described I would ignore the ad altogether. If a band is not willing to post their website, recordings, or tell me something about themselves and their situation I don't waste my time.

modoc_333

I would expect someone to get turned off if you fired off all of those questions in your first email in that way. I am guessing you don't and that you ease into it... asking the questions as they come up.

as for their answers: I don't think there is anything wrong with them telling you they don't have gigs booked or that they are just getting started. That's why they placed an ad. They need a guitar player to help them get it started.

If you are looking for an already established band then that's fine. But there is nothing wrong with a new band placing an ad. (which is what your original post implies.)

Keith

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
I don't respond to vague ads: "Classic rock band needs drummer." That doesn't tell me a thing I need to know. Usually, people who post things like this aren't sure what they want, have no gigs booked, are just forming, they're kids, or whatever. Best to stay away from stuff like that.

snow and steel

Silver Supporting Member
Steve;

Were I running that ad I personally would have a bit more info, but if the info I provided wasn't enough I certainly wouldn't; be offended if you asked for more - but I might fire a few questions back at you;

What's YOUR band history? got any video/tracks? What is your availability for shows? for practices?

I wouldn't be offended, personally - In fact I would consider it great because it probably means you're serious and you don't; want to waste your time any more than you want to waste mine... which means we'll probably get along great.

MrTAteMyBalls

Me and my musician friends have never encountered someone who didn't have tracks online that was any good, but after a while, you stop barking up that tree.

It's like folks who don't have a drum kit/amp. Get back to me when you do.

This times a million. A serious musician should have SOMETHING they can send out to showcase themselves. Honestly a cell phone video of them playing or singing something that they like is good enough. But I can't tell you how many times I encounter people on Craigslist who have no demo clips. They claim they've been playing for 20 years and been in a dozen bands and have tons of experience but have absolutely zero to show for it. I don't meet with those people anymore, as I have had the same experience as you have. I have not met with one single person who didn't have any sound files to share who had any talent whatsoever. I used to give the benefit of the doubt and meet up with them anyway but not anymore it's just a big waste of time. The fact is it's just too freakin easy to record yourself these days to not have a demo

To answer the original question, I think the list of questions that the OP post is very reasonable. That's information I would want to know before an audition for sure.

BADHAK

In the past I answer any ad as long as I know they are playing the music I like. I would then ask if they are all decent players with decent gear and are they serious enough to do their homework before a rehearsal.
All the other questions like how much experience, how many gigs/rehearsal they intend, how much pay,websites, etc can be sorted after you meet them and especially AFTER you hear them play.
If they play great and the chemistry is good then everything else can be sorted. Doesn't matter how good the experience /pay/venues are if you hate their playing/styles/personalities.
I have made some of the best and long lasting musical connections by taking a chance on people.

vintagelove

If a band couldn't respond to your first questions, they are probably not at the same place you are.

That being said, at least in my area, most serious listings say something to the effect of, if you don't have your sh@t together, don't bother responding. Those are probably the ads that you'll find folks with similar mindsets.

bob-i

These are things that should be in the ad, if they're not, of course you can ask.

Gallus

OP, your questions are all quite reasonable if what you are looking for is a band that is either gigging or very close to doing so. However, I bet you will find it pretty much true the world over that the authors of ads that don't include this information do so because there's nothing to tell. So, I think you're probably wasting your time asking in most cases.

s2y

Doesn't matter. People won't read it and will want you to join something entirely different.

gtrdave

Silver Supporting Member
I would ask:

Do you guys have any gigs booked? If so, what are you taking in per man? What venues are you playing?
What's the name of the band? Do you have a set list you can send me or website I can check out?
When do you rehearse? Are you holding auditions? If so, is there specific material you want a potential player to work on?
Anyone in my country band would be able to answer those questions easily, but we're a band of grown-ups who dig music, get down to business and avoid drama.
Honestly, if we were looking for someone and they asked those questions, that would be a sign that they're there to do more than just drink beer and waste time...which seems to be the norm for a lot of guys who respond via craigslist.

Unless you're in LA/NYC/Nashville, never look at ads for gigs. There is always a pro music community that operates off word of mouth references and there is only one way to knock at that door. Please network through the local pros who get regular work, and go out to hear local pro and semi-pro bands. It takes some time, but can be very rewarding. It is the best way to find pro players.

Trending Topics