If I were choosing my first electric guitar today it would be:

Chief Distortion Officer
Silver Supporting Member
A vintage 1960 Les Paul Sunburst.

That is if “I’m choosing” of course...

P.S. I’m cool with it losing it’s value…whatever that is…

Steadfastly

I used to think that way. But, I bought a Gibson, new with a discount last summer, and then after Gibson bumped their prices, I sold it for more than I paid. “20%” depreciation isn’t a given.

The same thing would happen with all guitars, then wouldn't it? We don't always buy with a discount either, do we?

Any of the Gretsch Electromatics. Affordable, high quality, great tones right out of the gate but also room for upgrades if you want. Not to mention the shorter scale will be easier to play for younger/smaller hands.

Edit: Squier Classic Vibes too. Consistently excellent guitars, especially for the price.

Last edited:
Probably Revstar Elements (or whatever the name is), fits the most important criteria of a 1st guitar: light, comfy, hardtail with shorter scale, stays in tune.
Also doesn’t have the typical sins of “students” guitars: overly thin and narrow necks, poor PUs and frets, bad hardware

Borealis

Gold Supporting Member
So many of my heroes played Strats. It was the first guitar I really wanted, but lefty Strats were rare in Norway in the 80s. I settled with what was available and didn't get my first Strat until I was in my 30s. I think I would have liked to start out with one.

Feely6

Another vote for Gretsch Streamliner or Electromatic, hardtail, preferably P90s, and a Fender Pro Jr to put it through.

That's actually what I use on a day to day basis now. Played at a blues session recently and got loads of comments about how good the rig sounded, compared to all the folks with expensive strats and digital modellers, and their thin, sterile, fizzy overdrive simulations!

budg

Silver Supporting Member
My first electric was some Hondo semi hollow piece of crap . I’d vote tele this time around . Versatile and won’t lie to you on how good or bad you are .

skywade

@sunking101 gets the intention of my post. I started playing guitar at 17 years of age and money was tight then. Minimum wage was $2.65/hour. I wanted a Gibson Marauder like I saw pictures of in the Gibson brochures at the local music store but had to settle for a $200 Hondo II Les Paul with hardshell case.

At that time I had to take what I could get. I wasn't worried about resale value or brand status amongst my peers, I merely wanted a guitar to play and so the Hondo was going to have to do.

I mentally put myself back in that scenario when I recently visited a store that has more budget priced guitars that expensive ones. The Epiphone LP Jr that I played is an excellent instrument for the money and much better than the Hondo II I started with.

Last edited:

NSDQRKR

Probably buy what I bought 40 years ago…MIJ Aria Pro 2 Strat Red…such a great starter guitar at the start of the MIJ era…some still out there in Reverb

Fatty McAtty

Yamaha Pacifica 112J or 112V ... EVERY time!!

I just bought another one (for a new player) for US$178 last week...cannot be beaten for that price!

And they NEVER need tuning, for some reason...so stable

The Pacificas (120H or 611) & Revstars (RSE20, RS320, or RS420) are the best starter electrics in my eyes.

I will always recommend a fixed bridge over vibrato bridges for beginners.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom