If I were king for a day in creating keyboards.....

Discussion in 'Keyboards' started by jomama2, Jan 13, 2018.

1. jomama2

jomama2 Member

- No keyboard (at least none over say roughly $300) would be permitted without a basic audio recorder. This is a simple and cheap thing to implement. Higher-priced sets not having this is inexcusable.

- No keyboard (except "digital pianos") at or over $1000 would be permitted without aftertouch. At this more mid-range-ish area, this is also an inexcusable omission.

- There would be a hard push and vast improvements for far more modular keyboards. For example, ones where you could swap out various keybeds, displays, mod and pitch wheels, etc.

You?

2. dougb415

dougb415 Supporting Member

- Audio recorder? No. MIDI/digital recorder? Absolutely!
    - I’ve never used aftertouch, have zero use for it.
    - These days I’m far more “in the box”. I’ll take a sweet controller using VSTis over modular hardware synths.

I’d like a more comprehensive controller with multiple knobs, drawbars, etc that can easily be mapped to a VSTi. Each knob, drawbar, etc would have clearly visible labeling that would change based on the VSTi being used at the time. I don’t want to have to look at the computer screen to see what parameter is being adjusted; I just want to be solely engaged with the keyboard.

3. Jr Deluxe

Jr Deluxe Member

All 61 boards would add lower keys to go down to E. Just so i can thump lower that a bass player.

4. Babysquid

Babysquid Member

For me 1/4” jacks instead of fiddley 1/8” jacks and no more mini keys. But to be fair I’ve probably got more room than others.

5. champion ruby

champion ruby Member

I’d create an iPad style touch keyboard that is 30” wide. Animoog style MPE touch keys that are normal key size and a ribbon controller above them. Custom scales, microtuning blah blah. Make it two 15” pieces so it fits in a backpack. Step sequencer, Arpeggiator, Looper and all that stuff.

For now I just do all that with 2 iPad 9.7” but longer keys would be nice.

6. rsm

rsm Member

I'm done, for now, with hardware synths, my focus is on MIDI controllers, I dig my Push2, QuNexus and Alesis Vortex wireless. What I want is a Roli without the price, with better visibility (black on black, not so good)

MIDI Controller, this is close for me (minus the red and blue):

[​IMG]

A new / improved MIDI controller in keytar form is what I want. ;)

7. stevel

stevel Member

On board audio recorder is not a big deal.

ALL keyboards should have aftertouch. Period.

I like the idea of pop-in customizeable modules that go into a chassis. I've wanted this for decades in guitar pedals and while a few have done it, it's been proprietary and thus not been appealing. I'm sure any keyboard manufacturer would louse that up nowadays.

NO MINI KEYS. And I mean, none of this Roland BS where they say it's a "full-size key" but it's be shaved a bit of dimensions.

But you know, here's what we really want - for them to stop being misers.

And that ain't gonna happen.

jomama2 likes this.
  8. jomama2

jomama2 Member

And yet, few have it. Weird.

eh, I can see why cheaper ones wouldn't. I think few using low-end keyboards have much use for it, or frankly even know what it is.

Now you're REALLY dreaming big lol

9. Bee3

Bee3 Member

A mechanism to somehow switch between fully weighted hammer action and various B3, Wurli, Rhodes type of actions.

Laservampire likes this.
  10. sansui

sansui Member

a modern keyboard sampler. think asr10 with more knobs and analog filters!!

and a vco synth with an oldschool sound paired with the modulation possibilities of a matrix/prophet08. something like an andromeda but reliable and with a better ui. poly aftertouch would be nice to have. and yeah 61 full size keys.

i don‘t really see the point in onboard fx (analog excepted), sequencers or even audio recorders when everyone has full fledged fx, sequencers and recorders allready, be it hardware or itb. all in one workstations where never a good idea. too many compromises. and i‘m not even talking about cutting costs in quality but the ui, which for me is the most important part.

in fact, after using synths for over 20 years, i really appreciate the more limited stuff with lots of character like dreadbox for instance, that does‘nt do everything, but what it does, it does really well. hell i don‘t even have to care about saving patches anymore, if i only need 10 seconds to dial it in. that‘s less then looking for the right preset.

limitation enhances creativity they say ;)

but yeah, a modern andromeda would be nice anyway! one monster synth in the studio doesn‘t hurt :D

11. stevel

stevel Member

That would be cool.

12. Modulator

Modulator Member

Waldorf Quantum?

I have a feeling everything everyone wants exists in some form or another, just a matter of do you want to pay the price. For example, Haken Continuum does what the Roli does, isn't all black, and may actually be a better controller, but it costs 3 times as much. Recording your performance can be done via real time midi recording into a sequencer, this has been around for decades, and if you play it back, you can tweak things so it sounds more like what you may want, recording as an experimental composing tool (I think much better than setting the recording in stone at a set bit rate, at a set sampling rate)

I have lots of synths (DSI, Buchla, Electron, Korg, etc), but one thing I would never want in the synth is an audio recorder. Some samplers can route audio and act as a digital recorder/resampler, and that makes sense to me, but I would not want to pay extra for an audio recorder in a pro level synth. I have an audio recorder hooked up to my mixer, so I can record anything I hear at any point in my setup. I use a SoundDevices MixPre6, but you could use anything from your mixer (which I assume you are using if you are using synths).

Now things I would want...
    1. real time midi recording (not just notes, all CCs and knob twists)
    2. one or more sequencers and an arpeggiator
    3. that missing low E on 61 keys (if I'm playing with guitars/bassists), maybe make it 62 keys and keep that high C
    4. channel aftertouch as a minimum, even better if it's polyAT
    5. modulation that can route anything to anything (even a feedback loop).
    I feel I'm pretty close to having everything I want. I'd love an Andromeda, but got plenty I can do with the P12, Rev2, OB-6, Pro2. And I get as much experimental as I would want/need with the Buchla.

But that Quantum looks fun as hell to use...hopefully it's well deserving of the Waldorf name.

And you can have everything that everyone wants in this thread if you go modular, but it won't be cheap.

13. MoPho

MoPho International Man of Leisure Silver Supporting Member

Although I have a Juno DS88, I want Whitesnake keyboards in a ROMpler module for less than $500. I'm sure you guys cab direct me :D

EDIT: I want my Mopho X4 up top for analog/Prophet tones and my Mopho SE as a controller for the module mentioned above. 80s metal and pop tones.

14. The Axecutioner

The Axecutioner Member

I don't get this one, most 61/49 controllers have transpose up and down buttons so you can shift octaves up and down beyond the fix key range of the physical keyboard.
    I too would want a great pro midi controller in a 73 key format with some nice sliders and knobs with a clear funky touch display. Something like the Kronos LS without the synth/sample engines, just a controller. I too use all VSTs these days.

15. Devnor

Devnor Member

They make a synth that does pretty much everything under the sun and that's the Kronos. Get that you will need nothing else.

16. Modulator

Modulator Member

What if I want analog filters and poly AT? Pretty sure the Kronos has neither.

Overdriven analog filter sounds worlds apart from a DSP filter that's digitally clipping.

sansui likes this.
  17. Laservampire

Laservampire Member

Hit the nail on the head. I hate playing weighted keys, especially when all I play regularly is a clunky plastic keyed Hohner Pianet N electric piano.

18. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Kronos is sweet-looking product line but I doubt it can sound like a Dreadbox Abyss. Lovely little polysynth with a distinct character.

This reminds me of the choice just about every beginning electric guitarist faces when he/she wants to get FX:

1. One multieffects unit

or

2. Couple of pedals

Kronos is like the multieffects - the all-in-one kind of Cadillac. Which I guess i fine if you get comfortable with the UI so you can fly around it quickly to tweak sounds.

Whereas a multi-synth setup is like going with pedals - each has one speciality and you can tweak stuff quickly because specialized synths tend to have minimal to no menu diving. It's like the pedals route in another way - most multieffects units tend to have fairly generic sounding efffects whereas you're more likely to find a unique pedal that has a sound and functions that aren't in multieeffects units.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    sansui likes this.