If it wasn't for all these church musicians, the U.S. music industry would be effed

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by patentcad, Jan 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patentcad

patentcad Member

In addition to the obvious benefits to society in more important areas, I'm happy to see that faith and worship is also helping to sustain the American music gear industry while also providing a venue for thousands of amateur musicians to play on a regular basis. Never realized it in the past, but I see all the church musicians here posting all the time. Very cool.

2. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Why do we divide church musicians from the rest of the crowd? And what are obvious benefits to society in more important areas?

3. patentcad

patentcad Member

How is the observation that church music activity helps the U.S. music gear industry divisive? My point is that without that significant additional venue/outlet for amateur musicians, there might be far fewer people playing in band situations regularly, which clearly fuels sales of everything from guitars/amps/strings to drumsticks. That's a very positive thing in my view.

I didn't start this thread to discuss the merits (or any potential lack thereof) of organized faith to society, you can have that debate with somebody else.

4. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Well I think the point is that contemporary music in the churches these days do involve electric guitars or a plugged in acoustic or other rock band stuff, so the move away from just a piano or organ that started in the 80s has now become mainstream enough to support a decent sized chunk of the guitar/band industry.

I can see that.

This also means more tube organs being thrown away, which is good news for tube amp scavengers!

But I wouldn't go so far as saying that the music industry would be effed otherwise. Have ya heard of Country music?

5. patentcad

patentcad Member

That's all I'm saying, half the posts here about somebody considering a new piece of gear starts with 'I play with @ church every week and..."

6. ElRay

ElRay Member

OP, Flyin' Brian's question was regarding your "the obvious benefits to society in more important areas" introductory phrase.

7. patentcad

patentcad Member

Sorry, didn't mean to being religion into this, so focus on the music connection, that's my point.

8. G Man

G Man Member

I've thought of this recently and think its interesting that 30 years ago it was considered the devil's music and today its been co-opted by the very folks who labelled it as such, which makes me wonder if it is indeed the devil's music.

9. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Guys, take this over to the P&W Forum please. Linked at the top of the page.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.