If loud amps are out of vogue, why aren't people selling them?

6AM

I'm on the hunt right now for a non-channel switching high power head that sounds different than my Fender Showman on the used market. I'm looking for something cool, like a Matchless Chief, or HC-85, or Superchief, or a Morgan SW100, or a Bruno Lead Man 100, or a Mako Makoplex, or something like that... Nothing. I found a Bad Cat Hot Cat 100, but then it sold. I found a Bad Cat Wild Cat 85, which I didn't even realize existed, which was sold.

If low watt amps are the thing, why aren't people selling their "too loud" amps? Fake news?

Reactions: C-4

chillybilly

Because nobody's buying them?
:dunno

I would think any seller automatically checks market conditions before he even considers listing. Prices are going down down down and if someone's paid $1,000 for an amp but the market tops out at $700 he quite understandably decides it's not worth it in terms of economics or effort.

JK1965

Gold Supporting Member
Because nobody's buying them?
:dunno

I would think any seller automatically checks market conditions before he even considers listing. Prices are going down down down and if someone's paid $1,000 for an amp but the market tops out at $700 he quite understandably decides it's not worth it in terms of economics or effort.
This. I tried selling my Yeti 100 last summer and was asking a ridiculous low price for basically a mint condition amp and absolutely nobody cared. Its a great amp. I just don't get to really run it hot often enough. Not giving it away though. Just the climate now.

honeyiscool

Shipping *is* brutal on amps. If you can't sell it for enough change to even afford a decent small amp with the proceeds, and smaller amps are getting ever more expensive, you'll just continue to schlep the big one and play it at 1 rather than take gigantic losses.

gixxerrock

I'm not selling mine because they sound great and get played regularly. Figured out how to make them work for me (master volume, hotplate, pedals, soundproofing etc...) years ago.

bman5150us

Took me a while to get $500 out of my mint Peavey 5150 Combo. That’s a hella loud amp but I wasn’t going to give it away for less. Meant more to me than getting less than $500 for it. I paid $600 for it used about 8 years ago.

MmcGrouty

If they weren’t selling, all these companies wouldn’t be making them. All my amps are over 50 watts. Smaller amps are easier to sell and ship, which is why the market is flooded with them.

Prices are down. PayPal six month return policy BS. Shipping costs. You name it. I have a few I would consider moving to fund some studio upgrades or maybe a Fractal but I have no interest in dealing with that nonsense.

Trending Topics