If money is no object, what is the greatest fuzz of all time?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by axdxm, Jul 19, 2019.

1. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

jordan bosstone, age-appropriate fender single coil pickup, battery is slightly weak, guitar volume is not on “10”, ribbon mic on a clean-ish amp.
    ya know, i’m pretty damned sure that some folks “could come-” very, very “close to nailing that sound”, if they haven’t already.

songtalk, adamajah, Windup 43 and 3 others like this.
  2. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

I agree. What I should have said is that of many attempts I have heard online (a relatively large percentage of people demonstrating fuzzes play it), and of many online discussions (most of which conclude it was a FZ1, though here and there someone suggests bosstone just because of the reasoning of being small enough to go inside a guitar, but nobody in online discussions made an argument based on listening), no one has seemed to know or be able to nail it. But as I said, my guess is pretty much what you said. Maybe you're not just guessing, but you are the first I've run across. Just a normal guy who studies hard, not a professional fuzz expert.

But yes, you are right, in the privacy of peoples lives, how could I know nobody nailed it? Sorry not to clarify that I was referring to publically available information, google searches, you tube, etc. I have looked and looked for any demo of any fuzz where the person got close. They have always been missing some or other quality. It was based on the searching, listening, and reading available to the general public.

I have posted a thread here before asking for information on that particular song. No one who posted knew. But I did hear multiple times the story of the email where he says his friend made it for him and he does not know what it was.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    Not Orange and splatt like this.
  3. JPH118

JPH118 Member

This gets my vote as well, along with my Sunface. I’ve played others that sounded maybe as good, but not necessarily better, for much more money.

For a different flavor, I really love fOXX Tone Machines and their clones, with the octave off. Falls somewhere in between a silicone fuzzface and a Big Muff.

biffoz, Echoplexi and Mosley like this.
  4. jlinde

jlinde Member

Original Sole Sound Mk1 Tonebender. Though I believe there to be only 5 left in existence. Wouldn't be cheap!

DaveLizmi likes this.
  5. hstlaurent

hstlaurent Supporting Member

Dam Dark Flesh and Fleshhead

6. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

I *know* that I'm getting closer to finding it.

My tastes keep evolving though. I mostly stopped letting my guitars and amps change.

Ceteris-paribus, keeping priorities straight, and all that stuff...

[There are a lot of amazing fuzz pedals and they keep making more.]

Not Orange and adamajah like this.
  7. Mosley

Mosley Electric Catnip Gold Supporting Member

For me, nothing seems to ever beat my original Spaceman Sputnik! I would love to grab a second one as a backup, but they’ve gotten way too expensive on the used market...so if money was no object, I’d grab another old Sputnik :) Pretty hard to say if it’s the ultimate fuzz for everybody though hahaha there are so many awesome flavors of fuzz! I also wouldn’t want to live without my Spaceman Spacerocket!

8. pete692

pete692 Silver Supporting Member

Many people cited the the PTD Rotobone. I had one, as well as a Rotoface. Both were fine. In fact, they were perfect in every way, but for my purposes, this 3-knob Minibone V1 just eats their lunch. I wanted to love the other two and sell the mini, but after about a month of solid use, the mini just had the mojo, and an extra level of JUICE enveloping every note that the others did not. If you're delving into PTD land for the first time, or if you've been there with the Roto's, you really need to check out one of these.

9. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

Did you sell the Rotoface? That one was special!

I can't think of better fuzz pedals than my Rotobone and Tornita ks. I go back and forth on which is my favourite.

If money didn't mean a thing I think they'd still be tied for top of the list.

10. pete692

Yeah, I let it go. I got a VL Effects Jimi Face that kinda took over that spot. Now, of course, if money was "no object" like the thread says, I probably would have kept both, but it's hard to sit on a 700 pedal that isn't seeing much action at the moment. You're right though, those Roto Faces, in fact all the PTD's really are special.

11. Alchemist XP

Alchemist XP Silver Supporting Member

Although I'm not a fuzz expert by any stretch at all and have not tried/owned nearly as many fuzz's as most on this thread, I have been through a lot of dirt pedals and dirt generating amps ... When I plugged into the Skreddy Lunar Module Mini Deluxe, it ended my search for the perfect fuzz for me. I wasn't chasing Gilmour tone at all, and although I think it gives that up in spades, if that's what you want, it is much, much more than that and it plays nice will all other pedals, no matter where placed in the chain. Capable of so many drive and fuzz tones and so interactive with all my guitars. Can't say enough good things about this pedal. This pedal with my MXR EQ (prefer after in the chain, but before is cool too) is pretty much capable of any dirt tone I can imagine

Not Orange and WWW like this.
  12. Lung plunger

Lung plunger Member

I'd hunt down the 'ol Hurdy Gurdy. Damn what a tone, I mean damn...perfect.

I know I'd also seek out the finest mid 60s Vox bender.

Hilltopper and AXXA like this.
  13. axdxm

axdxm Supporting Member

I had a bone machine gtx and a mini bone clone. I found both to be a lot less gain than the Rotobone. Do some mini bones have different gain ranges?

adamajah likes this.
  14. PedalCrazyFool

PedalCrazyFool Member

I thought you were messing with me. HUGE Ron Swanson fan here, now I know what my wife and daughter can put under the tree for me this year!

I almost died laughing when I saw it, and damn if the thing doesn’t sound great!

BearBryan likes this.
  15. pete692

Never had the GTX, only the V1 and a Rotobone, but I can tell you I felt that the Minibone definitely had more gain on tap, and on clean up with the volume knob it got nice and spanky, but with a nice amount of compression.

16. BearBryan

BearBryan Member

Same here. It's a dead ringer clone for $129 of a pedal selling on Reverb for over $800 and the knob is more useful than the switch on the original. It also has Ron ****ing Swanson on it! What's not to like?

PedalCrazyFool likes this.
  17. Not Orange

Not Orange Supporting Member

:drool: :cry:

18. adamajah

adamajah Supporting Member

Every PTD Bone type I’ve played has been different than the next. If you can, you gotta try a few and keep the one(s) that work best for you

19. StratmanSteve

StratmanSteve Member

Univox Super Fuzz - The Godzilla of fuzz pedals!
    I wish I still had mine.

20. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

For those citing PTD fuzzes...

I tried the WTF! On two occasions and it did nothing for me. Appreciating this, I've avoided the PTD pedals.

Should I reconsider this decision or is the WTF a good indicator?

adamajah likes this.