If my local mesa dealer doesn't have an item in stock, but will order it for me

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by chrisrocksusa, Feb 15, 2012.

1. chrisrocksusa

chrisrocksusa Member

is it standard practice to split the shipping?

I was under the assumption that they would have it shipped to them and I would just pay the price and taxes.

Am I being nickel and dimed , or is that is this normal?

2. russ

russ Supporting Member

It's unusual for the dealer to price it like that. But let's face
    it, you're paying for it one way or another. Call a different Mesa dealer and get their price for your peace of mind.

3. Nickstrtcstr

Nickstrtcstr Lactose Intolerant Guitar Slinger

That sounds silly to me. I would just leave a down payment for the piece of gear to show intention to buy. They have a profit built into the sales price. That would be like them saying that every piece of gear in the store needs to marked up to equal 50 percent of every shipping price.

4. Bluzeboy

Bluzeboy Gold Supporting Member

Personally.. I wouldn't go for that. If they had the item in stock you would have paid for it and walked out with it. To me there is no difference here. They get it.. You pay the price they quoted for it and walk out.

5. chrisrocksusa

chrisrocksusa Member

I've never had to order a piece like that (usually I find what I need on CL and get it in person, never ordered a piece of equipment new actually lol). I figured if I paid for it in full they'd just order it and I'd drive my happy ass up to the shop and pick it up when it arrived.

Frankly, if they're going to make me pay shipping I'll order a used cab on amazon.

nearest mesa dealer other than this one is over 2 hours away </3

6. Bluzeboy

Bluzeboy Gold Supporting Member

Mesa has (or at least as of Dec of last year had) a "fixed price" schedule.. i.e. this is the price the consumer pays.. Doesn't matter where you buy it etc it's all the same price.

with that said.. I would think the shipping etc is built in as "dealer cost".

7. chrisrocksusa

chrisrocksusa Member

yeah, I was aware of that. I'm not hoping to find a better deal, I just don't want to pay shipping. Doesn't seem right to me

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  8. russ

russ Supporting Member

Not much dealer mark-up on Mesa products.

9. djw

djw Member

I had to pay for the shipping when I ordered a Mesa cab through Guitar Center last year. Which does seem like BS, especially when you consider my GC is 40 miles from the damned factory. But yeah, that's how they roll. I wanted it, and was willing to pay for it, but I remember it too... doubt I'd do it again, there are probably online dealers who will ship in-stock items *to you* for free.

10. DaveP

DaveP Supporting Member

Call Mesa direct and ask them, this does not seem to be the standard practice. Maybe Mesa needs to know what this dealer is up to. They have strict pricing policy.
    Sounds like they are trying to make some extra coin.

11. koa

koa Member

I don't think you should have to pay shipping either... seems like a really poor way to do business. I'd do a search for Mesa dealers and see if any of them have it in stock...some places offer free shipping. Good luck

12. chrisrocksusa

chrisrocksusa Member

I'll give them a chance to order it and pay for shipping before I call mesa, but this is not the 1st time I've had a complaint about this dealer.

I'm pretty sure they lied to me about their rep and why they didn't have a mini recto in stock (don't care), but they never called me back with info as far as when they were going to have one (they were supposed to know that week).

same when I called about ordering a wicker grill. They told me they'd have to check with their rep for pricing and never called me back :bonk

I just called a mesa dealer on the other coast, they have a recto cab (2x12) for a bit cheaper, and it's in stock. I'll be on the east coast anyway in a couple of weeks so I may just give them a call and pick it up then.

13. earthlydescent

earthlydescent Senior Member

I've ordered three different amp and have never paid for shipping. Not cool, you may want to contact Mesa directly, you'll probably get the same deal.

14. germs

germs Member

not enough details, OP.

is this a special order, custom tolex or something?

MF offers free shipping, as does Sweetwater.

i'd purchase from there, especially if it saves me $50 or more...

15. SteveO

SteveO Member

Keep in mind that most dealers don't place orders one unit at a time, they place large orders of multiple pieces that are usually shipped in quantity. This lowers the freight cost per unit on the floor. I would imagine that higher-volume stores are in the position where they can eat the freight on most special orders, but many smaller stores run on a much narrower profit margin.

16. chrisrocksusa

chrisrocksusa Member

standard run of the mil 2x12 recto cab

17. supersonic1414

supersonic1414 Silver Supporting Member

Usually they get free shipping, so that is odd. This is a no brainier for the store, as the u it is already sold, so they do not need to float cash before sale or have it take up showroom floor, plus it increases their total sales with that manufacturer. They should offer to drop ship to your house for free....

I would call some other dealers as most will do it for free. I always negotiate a great discount when I special order due to the perks for the store.

18. Cody Anchor

Cody Anchor Member

I've ordered several mesa's before and never had to pay shipping. It's already built into the dealers selling price.

19. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

You're being nickel and dimed. As was stated, the shipping price is built into their price.

20. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Supporting Member

I wouldn't reward this dealer for dropping the ball and not following up with you and I sure as hell wouldn't pay a penny for shipping. Find another Boogie dealer. Try Stu at Fat Sound.