If new guitars are going up, up, up in price, why aren't the used guitars following?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Dr. Tweedbucket, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    .... and who the heck would buy a new guitar if they are the same old thing .... when the used guitar market is such a bargain? :huh (unless you are one of those people who are afraid to touch anything that was touched by someone else first).

Maybe there is so much money out there that people don't want to bother with used gear? :dunno

2. Buick8

Buick8 Member

3. radiolab

radiolab Member

For some reason I tend to keep near gear a lot longer because I know I'll never break even on it. So I don't see it for what it's worth but rather what I can do with it. If I buy something new it's because it's perfect. If I buy something used, it's because it was a good value and I can always break even with it

4. dazco

dazco Member

IMO because most of the used stuff I see is going for far too much already and they;re already having a problem dumping them as it is. I dunno about other areas, but here in LA when i look for a guitar on CL the prices are insane. Lots of people asking new or close to new prices. And in the last year especially i've been doing a good bit of tele hunting and seeing the same guitars listed for 6 months or a year. I rarely see a new tele listed, they've all been in there forever at idiotic prices. So why would they go up when they are already unable to unload them after 6 months or a year of more. There was a guy selling a couple of over priced strats in there once literally for about 3 years ! He never dropped the stupid high price.

5. Skeet skeet!

Skeet skeet! Member

I havent thought about it.

:idea

6. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

Well the used ones I happen to want are always going up...until I buy one.

7. Serenity

Serenity Member

I almost never buy new gear. I did just pick up a new amp, but that's only because what i was after doesn't come up used very often. Can't even remember the last time i bought a brand new guitar.
    There are so many used guitars on the market, and that's what keeps prices down. Just so many good options, so why bother buying new.

8. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

My 2 cents: Much like the new Car market - Guitars lose aprox 20% of there value as soon as you buy it.
    A certain percentage of people only want a new Guitar. They are usually willing to pay full retail price for the exact Features, model or color they want.
    Another percentage of people are happy to save some bread on a used Guitar.
    The percentages of buyers has remained the same over the years, but the available used guitar market has expanded leaps and bounds. Just check out the Emporium, Ebay, Craigslist, Reverb Ect... = Raw materials for making Guitars is rising very fast. Cost of Labor, Parts, all much more expensive as the years progress.

9. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Member

I don't know anyone that's buying a new electric guitar, aside from a few parents getting starter kits for their kids.

10. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Have you not seen the prices in the Emporium, Tweedy? :eeks

11. rickc007

rickc007 Gold Supporting Member

Was thinkin the same thing, you can get used Fender Custom for even under $2000

Yet, some new prices are between $4800 and $9800 for "Master" built ????

12. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

They will, and they already have to a degree. There's a lag. It's an economics 'thing'.

13. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

Your joking right :dunno

Used prices are so frekkin ridiculous it's better to buy new. There are no good deals on used stuff. Everybody's asks way to much for there gear

14. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

In 10-20 years, all the junk will be that-junk and obtainable for 10% of the current ask due to total lack of buyers. I'm already seeing 4-12 cabinets for $125. No one wants them unless they're spectacular examples.

15. PW214

PW214 Member

I was thinking the same thing...used prices are ridiculously high. Guitars with no warranties, no returns and you just have to hope they are playable...yeah, I'd rather take the hit on something new when there's not a big difference.

16. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

I agree. Prices for used guitars on eBay, Reverb and elsewhere have gotten ridiculous. Junk guitars from the 70's and 80's often are selling at a premium. These were guitars people in the 90's bought to glue on bar and restaurant walls as decor. Now they're a "rare ax just oozing with mojo".

The real deals to be had today are on new, higher quality, imports where you're buying a guitar, not a brand name.

17. Bossanova

Bossanova Member

Yup I see some loud amps and big cabs almost going extinct... But I wonder what a straight SG standard might be worth in 10 years..? Probably the same 900-1100 bucks but you can never tell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Hadnt noticed that the used isn't going up. But I guess if you mean the import used stuff.. yeah that doesn't go up. I guess not much but vintage stuff goes up. Once quality new stuff takes that initial price hit... it seems like maybe it stabilizes and then starts up. I can think of a lot of things I sold in the last 10 years that amazed me how much it's gone up... Should have kept it instead as investment...
    Some examples:
    Gibson L6S's: I had three in about a one year time period maybe 8 years ago. I paid $450-$550 for them. Fought like hell to get my money back out of them. Last summer I bought one from someone I met at a jam for $600 and sold it in a week for $1000.
    Bought a '59 ES 225 for $600 about 10 years ago. It needed refretted. Sold it maybe 4 years later for $1300
    3 Bolt Strat: Ran across a Hardtail 3 bolt the day it came out of Pawn in a Pawnshop probably 10 years ago, They wanted $550 for it. No one seemed to want the "defective" 3 bolt design back then so I didn't buy it. Man it played well and was super resonant. Could have had it for $500. Then they became popluar. Not sure now... $2000?
    57 strat: A guy was playing a sunburst '57 in a park with a little amp where I was camping. This was about 2002 or 3. I camped there every summer for 3 years at an event they had each year. He was the original owner. The case was beat to hell with a broken hinge. The finish had that crazing that old Lacquer does. but generally it was pretty nice, not played hard from the fret wear. Mostly cowboy chords. The following year he was there also, I got his phone number. I called him later on and asked if he would sell it. He didn't really want to so I said "what if I give you $7000 for it?" Nah he said... he'd have to have $10000. I dint buy it. Probably worth $20k today?
    etc etc etc
    Bottom line is a lot of stuff is going up. Amps too. But not the junk sold today.

19. Jay K

Jay K Member

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make given the dollar has gotten substantially stronger against virtually all major currencies the last year or so.

20. rickc007

rickc007 Gold Supporting Member

There's a boat load of people "asking" high prices...
    But not selling for that .

There's also a boat load of deals out there, specially compared to high end new prices