If the inflation-adjusted cost of a 1959 Les Paul Standard w/case is $2,565.63....

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Buduranus2, Aug 26, 2017.

1. mikesch

mikesch Gold Supporting Member

Because people will pay more. Because the cost of raw materials may have increased out of proportion to inflation. Because the cost of real estate may have increased. Because there’s more layers of management on top absorbing more money per guitar. Because labor costs have gone up due to having more experienced and expensive employees working in the custom shop instead of on the standard lines. Because necessary environmental regulations may have made it more costly to spray finishes or build electronics. Because when you could only buy one Les Paul that was the price they could charge, but now the Standard has come down in price and is cheaper than the originals, accounting for inflation, but the average selling price across the range may still be in line with the original guitars...

2. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

So basically you are describing fans of all major pro sports, highly popular international sports, some fans of popular bands, people who love one particular brand of car (Ford vs Chevy anyone?), fans of specific brands of mass produced beer, fans of certain TV series to the point they won't leave home when show is on, and the behavior of many parents (get to hear endless stories about how talented and wonderful their kid is)...basically not pointing out anything new as regards human behavior per se. ;)

I think we could argue that on a daily basis a fair amount of human behavior is irrational. :)

3. TylerE

TylerE Member

Or buy one of the higher-end Agiles from Rondo, be even cheaper, and get a guitar that is arguably closer to what Les actually wanted (e.g. neck-thru)

HTSMetal and Da Geezer like this.
  4. soulman969

soulman969 Member

That works too. I'm all for guys playing whatever they like and never complaining about prices when there are so many choices at their disposal.

Da Geezer and Jazzandmore like this.
  5. Jazzandmore

Whoa Whoa Whoa! You are talking sense and recognizing that we have free choice to enjoy what we like AND let others enjoy what they like because there are great choices to be had across all price ranges?! :nono

Hmmm, maybe we can start a revolution here at TGP recognizing this fact....but we all know that making sense won't necessarily catch on with all TGPers ;)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  6. mikesch

mikesch Gold Supporting Member

I don’t like it. I have very little else in this life to make myself feel big so I have to call everyone on guitar forums that spends less than me on guitars cheap, for not knowing a good guitar when they play one, and I also have to call everyone that spends more than me on guitars an idiot with more money than sense.

Ghast, Da Geezer, FennRx and 2 others like this.
  7. Jazzandmore

Two people talking sense :omg What is TGP coming to?:confused

soulman969 likes this.
  8. Pablo

Pablo Member

Frankly, seeing as the closest modern production version to the real '59, the Traditional T, currently sells at about $2000, I simply don't see a problem in the pricing.
    Custom Shop is an altogether different kettle of fish entirely - generally excellent instruments, I simply can't justify the cost, considering the quality available at MUCH lower prices elsewhere.

rizla likes this.
  9. stratplexi

stratplexi Member

10. rsm

rsm Member

more money than sense?

11. pattste

pattste Member

Hey look, a Gibson bashing thread. How original.

12. sswanson3

sswanson3 Member

That's about what a Standard costs now, right?

rizla likes this.
  13. jlb32

jlb32 Member

Who cares what Gibsons most expensive Custom Shop model cost, unless you have the money and want one.

Gibson offers guitars in all price ranges. The USA SG Standards are steals pricewise IMO and are awesome playing and sounding guitars.

14. Jazzandmore

Yeah there are a few TGPers that love to use that phrase to insult anybody that buys a guitar they don't like the price of.

15. soulman969

soulman969 Member

LOL, sorry but my advancing years have now found me brutally slaved to the same common sense which somehow seemed to always escape me when I was a younger man. :oops: :D

I guess these days when I read someone complain about the high cost of Gibby's or MIA Fenders my instincts are to both concur but then ask why don't you play one of their off brands then? :dunno I played top of the line Fenders and Gibsons for years but I'm no longer tethered to a name on a headstock when as I posted I can get 90% of the same performance for 20% of the cost and then upgrade to my hearts content if I wish.

It's not that I don't appreciate top end gear either. I still own a CS '51 Nocaster I "bought right" many years ago but I wouldn't pay well upwards of $3000 for a new one today. I also have a clone of it that stared life as a blonde Nashville deluxe and has been modified to be the Nocaster's stand in now. It plays just as well and sounds exactly like the Nocaster and it's fooled many into thinking it's a '52 RI even after they played it.

So we all have choices. It's just that I've chosen to be proactive and tell Fender and Gibson they can take their upper end pricing and shove it by buying at the lower end and creating my own custom shop versions exactly the way I like them. It's just what works best for me. :beer

guff likes this.
  16. soulman969

soulman969 Member

And IMHO that has little or nothing to with it either other than to somehow express an opinion that insults another for actually having made their own decision that yeah, that $3500 Les Paul IS exactly what I want and I don't mind paying that for it. THAT'S exercising free will and actually choosing to spend the going rate on what you want. It's those who simply bitch about that high price and fail to exercise their choices that make me scratch or shake my head. Make a decision and act on it.

One of my best friends has 30 guitars most of which he paid between $1000-$3000 for. I don't think he's insane for doing it nor does he look down his nose at me because I don't have more than $500 (except the Nocaster) into any of mine including all of their upgrades which I've done myself and quite well too IMHO. You couldn't find two players with more opposite buying habits than the two of us yet we have a mutual respect for one another as musicians that became the very basis for our friendship from day one.

So play what you like and to paraphrase A.G. Wentworth, "it's your money spend it how YOU like". :D

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    guff and rsm like this.
  17. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

The really interesting info would be Gibson's profit margin in 1959 and today. Is the price increase down to expenses in production or do they make more per unit?

guff and rizla like this.
  18. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

If you want to see equipment get cheaper after adjusting for inflation, check out the original prices of Marshall 4x12 cabs in the 60s and adjust those. They're a bit less expensive now. OTOH, for certain the cheapest guitars these days are FAR better quality than the cheapest guitars in the late 60s and 70s.

soulman969 likes this.
  19. Da Geezer

Da Geezer Supporting Member

WAY too much common sense being bandied about here....disgusting

Posts reported

soulman969 likes this.