If the Mk II C+ is so good...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Killcrop, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

Why doesn't Mesa just reissue it?

jamme61, Dale, louis and 1 other person like this.
  2. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

Allegedly they can no longer get some component/element any more.

Fishyfishfish, xiwiwix and Dale like this.
  3. LCW

LCW Supporting Member

They’ll say they did with the JP2C... but obviously that’s not exactly the case.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    stratzrus, LTE, FPFL and 1 other person like this.
  4. Graffiti Yellow

Graffiti Yellow Member

I read recently the process for building the transformers is now illegal. I also think Randall Smith is more interested in coming up with new amps instead of living in the past.

supergenius365 likes this.
  5. musekatcher

musekatcher Member

Because, that would admit that the best amp has already been produced thousands of times over, and there is no need to produce anymore, and Mesa and all the others would go defunct, since there are about 10 amps per picker in circulation. Every year, manufacturers have to convince folks the latest is the greatest...till next year when the new latest is REALLY THE greatest, till the year after that when no-kidding, for real, THIS YEAR is the greatest, till the year after that....

My favorite amp is 30 years old. My second favorite, is a copy of a 60 year old design (cheaper than buying the real thing).

6. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

I also read that some of the components in the II C+ are now unavailable and/or illegal.

Also, you can get that sound from the Mark V series. I haven’t had the chance to a/b it next to an actual II C+ but the Mark V does sound very good.

Dale likes this.
  7. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

i have heard the story about the transformer being illegal before. is it a copyright thing where someone else owns the design rights?

8. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

I'ma go out on a limb and say it was good for it's day. I've never owner an original 2C, but I've played Boogie stuff for 20 years. Amp technology has moved on. The whole Graphic EQ thing colors the sound and the Mark design is very compressed in nature. A Fryette Deliverance is far more open and complex in tone.

stratzrus and akosbev7757 like this.
  9. Jon Bcn

Jon Bcn Member

The Deliverance is far too dry sounding, it lacks the organic nature of the IIC+.

10. 44 and feeling it

44 and feeling it Member

According to my,Mark V manual, they took a few of the best 2C+ they had and, according to them, nailed it with the 2C+ mode. Its supposed to be the tightest tracking mode but i prefer Mark 4 mode.

Listen to the difference between the two the original 2c+ sounds fuller, which is what I like about the mark 4 mode compared to the 2c+ mode on mark V- it sounds fuller as well.

Adamclayton, Dale and paulg like this.
  11. 44 and feeling it

44 and feeling it Member

Ill disagree about organic I think the D120 I had was very organic tones but its apples and oranges comparing a Mark and Deliverance. Its irrelavent to this topic at least.

stratzrus, In Absentia and big mike like this.
  12. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

Guitarists are a funny bunch. :facepalm

lifeson1, Rossi163, tommyg and 5 others like this.
  13. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

There's nothing dry about an amp that's far more dynamic and responds to your dynamics and volume control. To say it's dry implies that you have a hard time playing it because of the lack of compression to carry your weak intonation, lol..

indeedido and stratzrus like this.
  14. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

That MkII sounds great.

Uffe Steen and jdel77 like this.
  15. NashSG

NashSG Member

You really can't go wrong with any of that period of Mesa Boogie amps. I don't doubt the rep and voodoo that a Mark IIC+ is a good amp, but I don't know that it is 4 times the amp of a Mark IIB or a 50 Caliber + or Mark III Blue Stripe - which are all about the same amp and sound amazing.

If you want the THING, yeah you are never going to be happy. If you are looking for an amp that can get a similar sound and setup, you got options.

16. 44 and feeling it

44 and feeling it Member

yes some of us fly over,the cuckoo's nest.
    Yes it does sound meaty, big but not bouncy.

17. Jon Bcn

Jon Bcn Member

If they did an exact copy that sounds and feels exactly the same, it would sell like hotcakes.

They lied when they made the Mark V saying it sounded exactly the same as a real IIC+, which is obviously ********.

I have a Friedman BE100, that's a dynamic amp. The Deliverance it's a tight, dry and raspy sounding amp. The IIC+ was tight, dry but also managed to be organic and have a very special feel to it, some of the best musicians ever from a wide variety of styles used it.

If you think the Fryette Deliverance is a better amp than a IIC+, you should at least disclose your relationship with Fryette or stop drinking so early in the morning.

Promit, Brig Gen Ripper and mcuguitar like this.
  18. Jon Bcn

Jon Bcn Member

I don't know why you are still making excuses for Mesa Boogie. They have released amps with a lot of compromises that also had to be played loud over the years, stop trying to paint that as the reason they don't have made a IIC+ reissue.

And of course Randall Smith is wise, he made the Mark V and told everybody that was wishing for a IIC+ reissue that the Mark V sounded exactly like it. Then made a mini Mark V, then another version of the Mark V and now another version of the IIC+ under the Petrucci name.

Randall Smith is benefiting from the legacy of the IIC+ without actually delivering an amp that sounds and feels like the real IIC+. He is incredibly wise and smart.

scelerat likes this.
  19. les_paul

les_paul Member

I've had two Mark II C+s and several Mark IVs. Haven't tried the Mark V but to me the Mark IV was a superior amp. I eventually grew to like Channel 2 but even if you ignore that channel and think of the Mark IV as a two channel amp IME it blew the IIC+ out of the water.

JPH118, hackenfort, bluesoul and 3 others like this.
  20. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

1. Which Mesa MarkIIC+ amp are you referring? HRG, DRG, DG, HRGX, SRG... which model? Which model OT/PT? There are several MarkIIC+ models. Not one übermensch model to rule them all.

2. Have you read this thread?: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/mesa-boogie-iic-impossible-to-replicate.1883407/

3. Mesa can no longer source the transformers, the process to make them produces chemical pollutants which are now illegal (kind of like why you don't see vacuum tubes manufactured the US much anymore), the pcbs require too much time/work to make/populate which is cost prohibitive (look at the MKIII pcb to see the difference) and the final price would be too high comparative to the customer demand for a single channel 2 mode tube amp in today's marketplace.

Really not hard to understand when the facts are examined objectively.

I own 2 of them and they are great amps.

jcmusic, aynirar27, xiwiwix and 8 others like this.