If the Orange OR15 had a boutique name...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ryan, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Ryan

Ryan Member

...it would sell for $1500 on here all day long. I picked one up on a lark just to have something with an FX loop, and I'm really surprised by how much I dig it. Very touch sensitive, very fun to play, responsive tone controls, half power switch, solid master volume, and a great sounding FX loop. Comes with JJ's, even! I've been running it through the Weber Alnico Blue in my BadCat Classic Cat at home, and yesterday through my Avatar 2x12 with ceramic Weber Blues. I'll freely admit to being a gear snob, but this amp is ten pounds of fun and tone in a five pound sack. What a time to be alive.

Gibby60 likes this.
  2. bxlxaxkxe

bxlxaxkxe Supporting Member

3. Ryan

Ryan Member

Here's a clip I did on my iPhone the other day, just for kicks. I'll try to get some better clips up that show that it does more than just gain.

wademp likes this.
  4. cal1024

cal1024 Supporting Member

I ended up selling mine because it couldn't get quite as clean as I wanted at louder volumes, but you're right, it is almost impossible to get a bad overdriven rock tone out of it. With the slightly darker sound mine had, it sounded great with a bridge-HB Strat, which I often find a little bright. Of course the LP sounded great.
    I am happy with my current amps, but sometimes wish I still had the OR15.

5. jojo

jojo Member

I dig mine as well

6. Jonny G

Jonny G Member

AD15 owner here - Am curious if you guys have compared an OR15 with the AD15. Love my AD15 - has the best natural crunch of anything I have and I like the clean as well though it may be dark for some peoples tastes. My guess was that the OR15 was the latest iteration of the AD15 as it is a 2x el84 with 3 way EQ. It may however be a completely different design given that the AD15 is valve rectified and Class A. No matter what, glad to hear Orange is still doing it right with the OR15, but curious nevertheless (in case anything ever happens to my AD15). Anyone know?

7. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Great amp for rocking out at home--I thought the tone changed for the worst though when it was pushed to band volume... but then again the Dual Terror can handle those duties. I'll own another one, I agree it's that much fun.

8. jpage

The OR15 is the Jim Root amp I'm pretty sure exactly... it's all about the gain haha...

9. DeadCell

DeadCell Member

Root uses the Rockerverb, but there is also the JR Terror which is essentially the Rockerverb dirt circuit in a single channel 7/15 watt head.

10. jpage

Yeah its the JR Terror I am thinking of--it is the same amp/circuit board as the OR15

11. mikebat

mikebat Member

Don't you wish manufacturers would lay their product line out with simple descriptions? I guess they want to leave room for the customer's own opinion but...

What if Orange would say (I am not saying these are accurate descriptions)

AD - x channels, loop, footswitchable boost, loop, el84
    OR= 1 channel, less gain, loop
    Thunderverb- Mondo volume, two channels
    Rockerverb - more gain, spongier feel that Thunderverb

Hell, a comparison chart would work!

As a consumer, it would be easier to weed through their line up and figure out which one is for you.

manicompression likes this.
  12. cal1024

cal1024 Supporting Member

I can agree with all of that. In our practice room with a drummer it still sounded pretty good but was starting to get on the edge of being a little fizzy. I took it out on a backyard patio and it seemed really fizzy/buzzy that day. I felt it could still hang with our drummer indoors through my 212 with V30s most of the time though.

13. IndyMead

IndyMead Member

Totally agree...I'm always so confused at what's made for what when I'm looking around their website.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  14. DeadCell

DeadCell Member

Heck, up until last year, I thought the Thunderverb was a bass amp.

They make both the Rocker and Thunder verbs but don't specify the differences.

15. broken_sound

broken_sound Silver Supporting Member

If the 15 is anything like my 40th anni OR50, its an incredible bang for your buck.

16. elijah

elijah Member

From my research, the OR15 is in the same family as the Tiny Terror, Dark Terror, and Jim Root Terror. Many shared components and circuit boards. They are however, all voiced differently and have different feature sets.

17. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

I agree that it is extremely difficult to figure out the differences in the Orange line. I was trying to sort it all out myself just recently. The following is some info I recently received directly in emails from Orange. It doesn't address all of the amps being discussed above, but may be helpful. In my email discussions, I was trying to determine whether or not the Dark Terror was simply the dirty channel from the TH30, which apparently, is not the case.

"We built the Dark Terror off the gain stages of the Thunderverb amp. The TH50 has 3 stages of modern gain. This amp has an A and B channel. Both can do clean and dirty. We also took it a step further and created the Dual Dark, a similar amp to the TH50, however, we added a 4th stage of gain and removed the reverb."

"The TH30 is a tad higher gain, so the tone sounds crisper and brighter. Better for lead players.
    The TH50 (Thunderverb) is chunkier, fatter, and more metal sounding. Better for rhythm players."

"The “TH” series amps are different from the “Thunderverb TH50/200” amps.
    The TH30 won’t be as metal or BRUTAL. It’s more of a modern gain, suitable for all genres.
    The Dark Terror is more in the hard rock/metal side."

18. mikebat

mikebat Member

Holy circular descriptions Batman!

TH50 (Thunderverb)...
    Later....the TH series are different from the "Thunderverb TH/" amps.

Eh...

19. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

The Orange line is confusing. It takes playing them (or the info from someone who has played them) to know what's what relative to each other. The OR15 is really cool, but can't stay clean at anything above bedroom volume. It's overdrive is really nice, however!

20. Ryan

Ryan Member

I don't yet have the promised clips. I played an outdoor youth retreat with it all last week, and it took a little tweaking to get it dialed in (treble 8:30, mid 1:30, bass 1:15), but once I did, I was able to keep up with the band and cut in the mix quite well, I felt. Rolling back, either from the guitar volume or volume pedal worked to get cleaner tones. We recorded some of the sets, I'll try to pull some clips together out of that.