If you are looking for a distortion pedal - check out this cheap one

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rotren, Sep 24, 2006.

1. rotren

rotren Member

Camrose, Alberta, Canada, but originally from Umea
    Danelectro FAB distortion video clip

This pedal goes for $14.95! I think it sounds awesome. :AOK

Let me know what you think of the tones I got.

I use a cheap SX strat on this clip with Fender CS '54 pickups in it, through a Reverend Hellhound and an Avatar 2x12 cab. Only other effect is a PB&J delay. At the end of the clip, I add a Blues Driver to the chain for the "over-the-top" gain and fuzz.

The design of the pedal is kinda crappy. Super light, looks fragile, the knobs are positioned at the front of the pedal, the switch is far from easy to engage... but it sounds nice and it is only 15 bucks.

2. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Nicely done.
    Pedal sounds good, for that price.. great. LOL

3. Doodad

Doodad Member

We have the whole suite of Dano effects to go with the Dano guitars. Price for sound they are hands down good. Not stellar, but good all the way around.

4. stairs

stairs Member

i could bet that, if you dont name the pedal, a lot of guys would jump on and say that it is.....that or that one. it is more than "weird" that a almost $20 dirt box, sounds that good.

that is an example of how sometimes, we just became....snobs

thanks for the clip

5. rotren

rotren Member

Yeah, maybe I should have done one of those "guess what pedal..."-threads - too late now. I would like to try a really good distortion pedal, but for this price I think this one is hard to beat. In a way it seems insane to pay $150+ for a great distortion pedal when it's possible to get a more than decent one for 15 bucks. It seems like maybe life is getting tougher for the boutique pedal makers since many mass produced cheap pedals sound pretty good? The Bad Monkey is another example of a good pedal.

6. drolling

drolling Member

Yeah, yeah, yeah.. we ALL love Dano stuff - I was lucky enough to get a copperburst baritone guitar when they were first reissued.. Killer guitar, but very difficult to intonate properly w/the popsickle-stick bridge, and I defy you to find cheaper tuners - worse than the lousiest 79 buck Chinese strat knock-off..

Same w/their pedals - I've had a few of them, loved 'em.. but it's no secret that their buffers are among the worst you'll ever hear; definitive "tone-suckers" in the truest sense of the word.. And the construction's pretty shabby, too - They are more faliure prone than almost anything else out there..

So let's try & keep this in perspective guys.. You get what you pay for, and comparing a 15 dollar stomp box to an expensive, true-bypassed, hand-built pedal is ridiculous..

just sayin'..

***EDIT***nice clip, BTW!!

7. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I want the FAB Metal pedal...it looks promising. Especially for the money!

8. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I had a Dan-Echo that had a tone-suck bypass, but sounded good... It stopped working. I don't think we're paying so much for prestige and brand name recognition (in most cases, anyway). We pay more for fancy pedals because it is usually a guy and not a big corporation, the components are top quality, it is hand made and not PCB robot-made, the plastic case on the dano pedals in the fab line doesn't look too sturdy.

Some people have rehoused and true bypassed these circuits with good results, awesome little projects.

I still think these are marketed largely to beginners and teenagers who don't have $150-300 for a dirt pedal (and won't make much difference through their 15 watt solid state peavey that everybody starts with). So, a good thing, sure. Just in a different way than the more expensive good (better? usually) things that are usually discussed here.

9. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I guess Im the exception to that...:D:eek: :drool :crazy :messedup :NUTS :BEER

10. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Aren't you a little young to put a beer emoticon in your posts? :jo :crazy

11. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

^^^^
    its supposed to be ginger-ale...;)

12. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I dunno, I type :ginger-ale and get nothing...

13. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

please dont tell my mommy:worried :( :messedup

14. rotren

rotren Member

Yeah, this cheap pedal isn't all quality, but my point is that it sounds very good for the investment of 15 bucks, if you can call that an investment! :)

I am not comparing it to hand-made boutique pedals, but what I notice with this FAB distortion is it has better sound than other cheap pedals I've tried. It is possible to get a good sound these days for a low cost. 10 years ago, I don't think you could have bought a 15 dollar distortion pedal new, and certainly not one that would sound this good. Anyway, I like the sound of this pedal.