If you converted your Marshall Superlead into a Bluesbreaker 2x12...

demea26

What speakers would you use and running what Ohm? Playing rock, hard rock, pop.

I was thinking some type of Greenback or variant.

Thanks

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
You'll need 2, 100 watt speakers. Ideally, I'd buy 2 Scumbacks. An M75 and a J75, both 100 watters with FBI break in.... 16 ohms wired parallel so the amp sees 8 ohms

demea26

Thanks! I should mention that the amp has a PPIMV and more than likely wont see its full volume due to the clubs we play

Stormin

Tele's and Plexis
Having owned both Cremebacks and Scumbacks, I like the Scumbacks way more...
I wouldn't disagree with that but the Creambacks are easier to find used in the emporium. If I was buying new, it would be Scumbacks with the FBI.

Hulakatt

Gold Supporting Member
I wouldn't disagree with that but the Creambacks are easier to find used in the emporium.
For a good reason. Not a slight on the Creambacks so much as it is mad props to the Scumbacks.

If I was buying new, it would be Scumbacks with the FBI.
And worth every penny. Come to think of it, I don't think it would be much more expensive, if at all, to buy new Scumbacks with the FBI than to buy a pair of used Creambacks but I don't know what the Creambacks are selling used for these days.

Geeze

+1 on the Scumbacks with the FBI. Also on the plus side if you pop one you won't be desecrating and devaluing an international treasure!

I have H's and M's and a new convert to awesomeness of the J's!

Russ

Uli Jon Blackmore

Silver Supporting Member
Not attempting to troll here at all but just want to voice an opinion that I have been cultivating for some time. I own all of the above in M and Hs in both Scumback (including 55 and 75 in the Hs for the Scumbacks) and Creamback Celestion. For classic Marshall tone, it is a toss up. Scumbacks are really nice and I own a bunch of them but I think that they get way too much credit on here. They are sweet and full but lack some of the appropriate clarity and definition that CB Celestions retain, some of the same frequencies that are associated with classic Marshall tone. Not a popular opinion here but true to my experience. I attribute the reverence for Scumback to the predominance of low volume players here and the preference for less bright speakers at that volume. To be fair, some of this may be the preference for an earlier, warmer tone than the 70s kerang that many of us are really talking about when we speak about Marshall tone ('68 was great but most of my heroes played '72 and '73 Marshalls). This is not to say that I do not like Scumbacks. I have 6 of them in cabs. They are great. It is just that for some situations, CB Celestions are not only equivalent but more appropriate for the historical tone I am looking for. I do fully expect to be flamed for this.

Hulakatt

Gold Supporting Member
Between Scumbacks and Celestions, I have only stuck to the M variants but I do prefer the Scumbacks. I will also say that I prefer the slightly darker tone and I'm running mine with a jtm45 in a 4x12. I run it low and clean or up until I actually get the thing to OD on it's own :D

fe911

I don't have a huge amount of experience with open back combo cabs. But I like, since you've got a ppimv, vintage 30's and g12-65's. They have both worked very well for me with Marshall amps.

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
I have the Creamback Ms in my Bogner 212CB and they sound fabulous in there!

kinmike

Silver Supporting Member
You'll need 2, 100 watt speakers. Ideally, I'd buy 2 Scumbacks. An M75 and a J75, both 100 watters with FBI break in.... 16 ohms wired parallel so the amp sees 8 ohms
Why 8 ohms?

Trending Topics