If you could equip a teaching studio in any way...

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Dajbro, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Dajbro

Dajbro Member

...how would you equip it?

I have the opportunity to build a guitar teaching studio from the ground up. I've got a waiting room, a bathroom, and a room that will be the teaching studio.

What are some of the items/features that you would want if you were teaching OR taking lessons somewhere. I'm looking for all kinds of ideas from big to small. It doesn't have to be specific to the music lessons themselves, it can have to do with furniture, storage, etc.

Any input would be appreciated.

David

2. GuitaristZ

GuitaristZ Guest

2 Marshall Stacks...one for teacher, one for student.

2 Pairs of earmuff hearing protection.

Walls

Ceiling and Floor

Fingers...

Done.

3. Brion

Brion Supporting Member

A room with lots of seating and a stage for recitals and clinics.

4. gennation

gennation Member

That would definitely be a bonus.

There's a few people here with teaching studio's. Mark Wien is one. KRosser has a "teachers studio" ;) He might be full of good pointers. Hit them up.

5. Dajbro

Dajbro Member

Great idea! Thank you.

David

6. KRosser

KRosser Member

There's people that think I'm full of something....

I read this but didn't respond because I didn't think I had anything to add..

But now that I think about it -

Comfortable chairs, good lighting. And this may sound a little prima-donna-ish, but if I have to teach all day in a room with no window I get really tired and cranky. A little fresh air and sunshine once in a while really helps me keep my attention up.

Also - a coffee maker. I pretty much need those wherever I go....

As far as the waiting room goes, a bookshelf with lots of interesting music & guitar books & magazines might be good and might lead to a discovery or two on their own that could influence the lesson.

I agree with Brion, I think a small 'recital stage' is a great idea

7. Dajbro

Dajbro Member

Thanks Mike. Will do.

David

8. Dajbro

Dajbro Member

Thank you Ken. These are the kinds of things I'm looking for. I want to make the space comfortable for myself as well as for my students and their parents.

Keep the ideas coming folks. They are much appreciated.

David

9. jb70

jb70 Member

make sure the room has a boombox/cd player with an ipod input and a small keyboard that has drum loops. i demonstrate things on piano all of the time and it's also fun to put on a drum patch and improvise with the students (much more fun than playing to a metronome). i would also equip your room with a metronome, music stand, guitar stand, a clock and some kind of shelving to hold books/cd player/etc...

p.s. ken speaks the truth- a coffee maker is essential. a microwave and small refridgerator are nice too.

10. countandduke

countandduke Member

Definitely enough room to move around and not feel cramped at all, cd for playback and maybe a way to record the lessons? Obviously cords and amps, maybe some effects for demonstration purposes, filing cabinet for info. I nice waiting area for parents. Kleenex, paper towels, music stands, extra pics, paper, pencils, pictures of cool guitar players :) extra strings, tuners, fan, space heater, access to the internet via computer or laptop (big one I think). Might sound weird but I would keep a fire extinguisher handy, phone, maybe some forms on cancellation requirements and what would be considered holidays, metronome, drum machine..........starting to run out of ideas now........

Good luck,

Chris

11. MrDoty

MrDoty Member

12. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

How about the $$$ to pay for all this.

A little of topic but
    Don't drink coffee in front of students. Coffee can smell as strong
    as tobacco in an enclosed area. The coffee drinker doesn't realise how awful the smell is,
    as well as their breath, but mostly the smell lingering in the room.
    Same goes with strong perfumes, BenGay etc.
    There's this one teacher I know...

13. Mark Wein

Mark Wein Member

I posted this yesterday in the guitar teachers thread:

My wife and I opened the studio 3 years ago...she doesn't play music (one of us has to be practical). We now have 12 teachers teaching here...things started slow but since we don't do instrument sales the overhead was pretty low and I already had a clientele...

We charge $22.00 per half hour and $39.00 per hour lessons and we do family discounts, which give an incentive for families to have more than one child in lessons. We teach Guitar, Voice, Piano, Bass guitar, Double Bass, Drums and we have a local band director who teaches beginning wind instruments. The classes are a flat $60.00 flat monthly fee. The studio has a one time per family $20.00 registration fee and the classes have a one time $20.00 material fee.

The blues class is huge here...it brings in a lot of adults who think that its an easy way to get started playing music with other people. I am currently running 3 weekly classes and we have a fourth starting next month.

Here is our website (a little out of date at the moment) http://www.premierschoolofmusic.com

I teach the blues class by myself...some of the other classes I co-teach with other guys but I hope that the students in the classes will take private lessons, too....

Here are a few pictures of the construction:

What we started with:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Mark Wein

Mark Wein Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

I learned the meaning of "sweat equity" the hard way:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Teaching in our big classroom during construction:

[​IMG]

15. Mark Wein

Mark Wein Member

When we got the sign out front:

[​IMG]

Habitable enough to teach in:

[​IMG]

Here's the big room almost finished (I'm a little behind...)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

Quality music stands.... not fold-up cheapos.....

A metronome in every room....

Quality lighting......

Comfortable chairs....

17. Mark Wein

Mark Wein Member

If it is just for guitar, it should be pretty easy to do.

In my personal studio (see the messy picture above) I have the standard stuff like chairs, music stand, amp for the student.

I have the computer with Fruity Loops to program drum loops and rhythms for the student (it also makes for a very loud metronome), record lessons, keep my music library, scheduling, notation, etc....it really has made me a more organized and effective teacher having so much stuff at my fingertips. I can also email songs, sheet music and supplementary video lessons from my website.

As far as the waiting room goes, we have no coffee pot, TV or piped in music. It ends up being the one hour or so that parents have to relax without too much noise or craziness. I'll see if I can find some pictures of our lobby today....

18. GBStratman

GBStratman Member

I really like having a big window in the lesson rooms. It makes it less claustrophobic, and importantly, it lets parents see what's going on without actually being in the room.

19. Mark Wein

Mark Wein Member

That is cool. We don't have the windows, but occasionally you will have a parent that wants to sit in on the lessons for a while because they can't see their kids, who are in effect going into a private room with an unknown adult.

Trying to keep the rooms on the bigger side is also a plus. Our small rooms are 8x8 and that gets a little small if you put a bookcase and/or a computer in the room...my room is 8x10 and the extra 2 feet helps but if I had it to do over again I would probably go 10X10....