If you could have only one "interesting/alternative fuzz"

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jimijimmyjeffy, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

Hmm.

I was considering the Clusterfuzz, but I play a lot in Open C. Not sure now.

2. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Member

I can understand that. I was just trying to be honest in the post you quoted. I really haven't tested any of our pedals in C. I have no reason to believe that lower tunings wouldn't work, but I also have no hard evidence that drop-A will sound great on the Clusterfuzz. And honestly, nobody has ever asked us about low tunings. I sure wouldn't mind sending a demo unit to somebody who would be willing to record a decent-quality video showing low-tuned performance of the Clusterfuzz. ;)

3. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

All I have is an iPhone. :(

4. Mosley

Mosley Electric Catnip Gold Supporting Member

Spaceman Spacerocket

5. Strumlord

Strumlord Member

Spaceman Sputnik II is very cool with a Footswitchable drift mode, so much fun

Also love PTD Rotoface, love them horn sounds

6. Zounds Perspex

Zounds Perspex Silver Supporting Member

A good Superfuzz is great for this - those octave sounds really turn into "momentary ring mod" sounds.
    A couple of great versions now have switches/toggles that let you minimize/eliminate octave artifcacts for a more conventional fuzz sounds, too-
    smallsound/bigsound Buzzz and Basic Audio Superfuzz both qualify.

Fuzz Factory is obviously a classic, for the more gated sounds I'm loving the Os Mutantes fuzz circuit lately - rocking the Creepy Fingers Regulus now, waiting on BA Fuzz Mutant.

For truly *nasty* fuzz - Fairfield Unpleasant Surprise.

7. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

...overwhelmed with fuzzy goodness and learning a lot!

Very appreciative of all the suggestions, folks!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    ChampReverb likes this.
  8. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

... just not very familiar with the different tonebenders. Had heard Page of course, which was an mkII I guess, and that was not too unique and interesting, from just a fuzz perspective, to me. But I can start to hear in some mkI demos some potential. But none of the demos I heard really explored the pedal, other than power chords and a blues lick kinda thing.

9. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Member

I'd also like to suggest the Black Arts Toneworks Fnord! fuzz. It's definitely out there.

10. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

@jimijimmyjeffy
    a bunch of MkI action, not too many power-chords (but, some):

Ghost FX 2065 (MkI Tonebender):

here’s a live track w/another MkI, the facelessfx Marquis.
    it’s on, throughout. some live-looping in this clip:

my 1st 3 goes with a Castledine Supa MkI, and a @chaseblissaudio thermae pedal:

and, another Supa MkI, this one from Basic Audio. tons of ‘verb, though, and a bit too loud for the iPad’s internal mic, lol:

Basic Audio Supa MkI here, too, for all of the solo guitars, the ambient oddness, the screeches, and the whole of the drifting instrumental outro (which is truly “solo”); it’s a long tune, but hey..... MkI.

theRagman, johnetone, Peps and 9 others like this.
  11. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

Crossover-distortion pedals are a fun category not yet mentioned.

The Malekko Chaos can be acquired inexpensively and sounds great. I've owned a Chaos for a few years now. It led me to sell my Prunes & Custard and Ancient Astronaut (all are cool). For my ears, the core tone of the Chaos is very pleasing and preferable to the others. The pedal also affords at least comparable and arguably improved controllability vs. the others. Don't be afraid to set entropy to 0. [Fuzz fans like to turn stuff up ;p.]

Per categories already discussed, the Malekko Helium is a powerful octave fuzz that can be acquired inexpensively.

The Mastotron is also inexpensive and affords highly-textured tones that can be more or less gating. I continue to really like mine.

chankgeez and splatt like this.
  12. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

My Trombetta OctaBoneMachine - its a bone machine with a independent or additional upper octave. Damn cool fuzz.

splatt and jimijimmyjeffy like this.
  13. Nightbreed

Nightbreed Member

Observation: Last year a similar thread was posted. It wasn't exactly like this one; it was asking if you could only have one fuzz, what would it be? One fuzz to rule them all kinda thing, a fuzz that could do everything, or as close to that as one could get. That thread was posted exactly one year ago today. It's got 12 pages, so lots of people responded. Anyway, you'd think that the "winner" from that thread would apply here...I mean, that fuzz can do "everything" right (or close to it)? The DOD Carcosa got the most recommendations.

I'm not mentioning this to try and tell the OP to use the search or to justify my recommendation for the Carcosa earlier in this thread. I didn't even see that other thread until after I posted here. I think there are many fuzzes that could fit the bill here, actually. Point being...if this exact thread were posted a year ago, the DOD Carcosa would have been the overwhelming winner, but here it's barely been brought up. And that's ok...but it just goes to show the "flavors of the month" and how they often change. What was once trending and highly regarded is just about forgotten about a few months later. And it's not always because of new pedals being released. These pedals are a couple of years older than last years thread. Ask again in a few months and we'll see a totally different trend. Not complaining per se, but I think it's kind of amusing.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...e-fuzz-pedal-on-your-board-which-one.1921159/

14. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

rest assured I did check out demos of the Carcosa! Thanks again! Currently in info processing mode... :) spent hours last night just following up on as many suggestions as possible!

Currently I have a ‘69, an OctaPussy and a NagaViper. So already have SOME fuzz capability. Probably will add a Russian Muff type of fuzz. But want to be able to pull my weight in the experimental and unique voice universe too. I must say multiple pedals suggested so far seem to fit nicely. For example, Paul Trombetta is sure talented.

The OctaPussy is the one I have that can already do experimental adventurousness in fuzz tones. Underrated pedal, as far as doing things other than making an octave with certain guitar settings. I agree with all those here who find octave fuzzes can be extremely interesting in this regard.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    Nightbreed likes this.
  15. Nightbreed

Nightbreed Member

Cool. But I'm not trying to push for the Carcosa here. Actually, I think the Clusterfuzz might be even better for what you're going for. I just happened to notice what people were saying last year vs this year. The Clusterfuzz was popular last year, but it was outshined by the Carcosa. That's not so any more. I'm just saying there are obvious trends.

johnetone and jimijimmyjeffy like this.
  16. tubekingsley

tubekingsley Member

One thing to consider is that a couple of years ago, the Carcosa was constantly featured as a Holiday sale item, and a lot of TGPers bought them. The Cluster Fuzz has a bigger price tag- a year ago, not many people had tried one. Today, fuzz is very trendy around here, thanks in part, to the popularity of the Carcosa.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    johnetone and Nightbreed like this.
  17. guff

guff Member

Oscillo 86, 87 or 88...heck any dirt by LastGasp Art Laboratories

johnetone likes this.
  18. jlectka

jlectka Supporting Member

My current board has three flavors of fuzz and the special sauce that I like is an octave pedal I recently bought. It makes each one of them kind of strange and unexpected. Depending on volume and which pickup I’m on I’m never really sure what’s going to happen.

Mosley likes this.
  19. geek-mo

geek-mo Supporting Member

A Fuzz Factory or a Bee Baa might do the trick.

20. Feverdog

Feverdog Member

Currently tripping out on the EHX Lumberjack which sounds like an old amp with a broken speaker. Completely different pedal depending on chain placement; into fuzz, into OD, boosting at the end...whatever, wildly different sounds. Really reacts to input weirdly. Never played something like it.

Not Orange likes this.