If you could keep either brown deluxe or brown princeton, which one?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by StanG, Feb 24, 2012.

1. StanG

StanG Member

Between brown deluxe or brown princeton, assuming you had both, which one would you keep and why? Interested in thoughts and reasoning.

I have both, both are players grade, and probably have to move one to fund a purchase.

My thoughts: the princeton is less gigable, but I have played it with a full band, but it has a sound unlike any other. The clean, and clean pushed to the edge of breakup are perfect for my tastes. Also, I bought it approx. 10 years ago and paid way less than they go for now a days.

The Deluxe is more gigable, it can get pretty loud for 15-20 watts. It does the clean to edge of break up thing very well also, and has a great overdriven sound when cranked. It definitely has a sweet spot, though and will mush out if too much is asked of it.

I have started playing in a rock band, and have planned to use the deluxe for a "marshall" type tone, but I can replicate that in a number of ways. When mulling this over, I go back and forth between, "use the deluxe" vs. the "princeton is special and blows me away sometimes".

This is not a troll for a sale, when if I decide, one goes on the block. I just am interested in other's thoughts and opinions.

2. guitarcapo

guitarcapo Senior Member

3. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Agreed. Deluxe is more useful.

Try a Cannabis Rex in it to keep it from mushing out. Fantastic combo.

4. vibrasonic

vibrasonic Member

I also have both and agree it would be a hard choice. Both are great amps.

The only thing i can think of is you would get more for the deluxe to fund your next purchase.

Anyway you go i think you will regret selling either of those amps in the future.

5. zenas

zenas Member

Keep them both. Need money? Sell the old ladys crap or work some over time.
    I don't care which one you sell you will regret it sooner or latter

6. CaptRKirkB

CaptRKirkB Member

Always listen to LeonC. the voice of reason. Times are gettin tough for me as well and I can tell you it just about kills me to say I will have to let the Brownie Pro go before the the Deluxe hits the block. That will be one of the last to go.

Or go back and listen to some early ZZ Top I can't remember the albums ....I'm sure someone will fill in the blanks ..haha

peace Kirk

7. goodtone

goodtone Member

Keep both because they both have their own thing going and the big question is will you have latent gas pains afterwards.

8. StanG

StanG Member

Good advice.

9. zenas

zenas Member

What the hell was I thinking telling you to keep both. I want to buy one or both. DAM !

10. StanG

StanG Member

I put a swamp thang in the deluxe to add more headroom and it may not be optimum but works

11. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

I have a brown Deluxe and a blackface Princeton. And though I'd never sell either, the Deluxe is a much more giggable amp. The Princeton just doesn't have enough oomph for more than a small gig/room situation. But I think selling either is a mistake.

12. StanG

StanG Member

But the princeton does what it does magnificently, that is the quandary!

13. vibrasonic

vibrasonic Member

Big difference between the 6G2(brown) and a 65 BF princeton.

14. cratz2

cratz2 Member

Between any generation of Princeton or Deluxe, I'd tend to go for the Deluxe.

15. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I would keep the Brown Deluxe as I like amps that are good at home and at the gig. I would be happy to have either amp though...

16. TELECOLLECTOR

TELECOLLECTOR Astro Boy - who knew? Gold Supporting Member

Boy, a bunch of us have both..............

Although my Deluxe is by far the cleanest I love them both but agree if one stays (both will) it's the Deluxe.

Pardon the cruddy photo's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Red House

Red House Silver Supporting Member

Deluxe as it has more headroom, yet will still roar like the Princeton cranked.
    :beer

18. StanG

StanG Member

I agree with the general consensus: that the deluxe is more usable, and that I should keep the princeton, if I can.

For now, I am keeping both and my sales plan (for now) doesn't require any other hard choices, such as a choice between keeping either the Mission 5E3 I built myself 10 years ago, and the '57 or '56 Gibson GA-20 I've had since 2005.

thanks for all the input.

19. Tele Wacker

Tele Wacker Member

Keep 'em both. You'll regret selling one down the line.

20. StanG

StanG Member

I had the princeton up in the emporium for a few days, to help pay for the goldtop w minihum's I bought last month, and took it down when something else sold.

Whew.. that was close.