If You Could Only Get A New Fender Amp...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ShredSquatch, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Kevy_Metal

Kevy_Metal Member

The Blues Junior IV that I heard last month sounded damn fine to my ears. Also, the blonde Bassbreaker 15 Combo I was playing through last week was highly addictive.

nowhere, ShredSquatch and AprioriMark like this.
  2. dmac in SC

dmac in SC Silver Supporting Member

I would go with the Vibrolux RI... I played through a friend's a while back and the thing was just incredible...it absolutely sparkled..and it went from sparkle to perfect OD with the help of just a (Supro) clean boost, and without risking shattered windows...has enough headroom to make any sound I want to make....I'm just not willing to drop a grand on another amp right now...

And I do get the love for the Deluxes but at the same time I don't get it...they have no headroom, so in some live situations where you actually need volume from the amp, they can be a 'one trick pony' in my opinion...great for recording, but limited otherwise, again, in my opinion

And I also don't understand the lack of love for the Hotrods... Ive got an older model Hotrod Deluxe and I absolutely love the thing...is it the master volume or what? I've been 'boxing' this thing up with a mike inside and am getting some of the best recorded tones I've ever heard...but tone is a matter of taste...endless threads here argue that..some think it doesn't matter..I do

nowhere and ShredSquatch like this.
  3. spawnofthesith

spawnofthesith Member

This... I had a DRRI, and while it was awesome sounding, with the band a clean tone wasn't an option by the time it was cranked enough to play with drums (and that drummer was a pretty quiet drummer too). I also had two brand new ones crap out on me in the span of a month, so after the second one I decided to just get my money back (didn't sour me on new fenders either, just some bad luck... it happens).

Fender amps I've owned:
    1965 Blackface Bandmaster head

DRRI
    Hot Rod Deluxe
    Hot Rod Deville
    and I have a Blues Deluxe on the way right now

While the vintage guy was awesome and had a lot of mojo, when it came to loud clean head room (Which I need a lot of) the deville has been the best for that so far. I am excited to see how I like this BDRI, just getting back into playing again after a hiatus for the last year. I love all eras of fender amps honestly, old and new :dunno

If you cant get a good tone out of the hot rod series I've got bad news for you.........

4. Gridlock

Gridlock Member

The handwired ‘64 Custom Deluxe Reverb.

Gaspode, FenderBigot and ShredSquatch like this.
  5. GGinMP

GGinMP Silver Supporting Member

Good point. That's why I went with a Vintage Sound Amps for a Deluxe Reverb.

ShredSquatch likes this.
  6. Tritone

Tritone Member

Me too. The silent recording sounds reeeeeeeeeally good from what I've heard.

ShredSquatch and JCW308 like this.
  7. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

I would buy the new Tonemaster Twin Reverb.
    I would return it if I didn’t like it.

ShredSquatch and AprioriMark like this.
  8. bokeh

bokeh Member

Don't know the OPs needs, but if they just want one Fender amp. Tweed Deluxe.

9. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

I love my 65 DRRI. It sounded good stock, and after a new Weber alnico speaker, new transformer, premium tubes, and some rewiring (including a push pull on one of the tone knobs that turns the bright thing off or on) - it sounds better. It will continue to get better as the speaker breaks in. I'm a happy amp-camper!

ShredSquatch likes this.
  10. AprioriMark

AprioriMark Supporting Member

I'll let you know when mine gets here. I was going to purchase a Bassbreaker 30r because I love my racing green Bassbreaker 15 but could use that tone with a bit more volume... and then the Tonemaster amps come out. Full stop; ordered a Twin. If it sounds/plays like it seems it does, this amp could be a game changer for me.

To be clear, I've got these Fender amps:
    -73 Super with vintage greenbacks
    -Bassman 100 with a new (ohm switchable) transformer and several different sized cabs
    -late 60s Twin (unsure of date, drip edge)
    -Blues Jr lll in oxblood/wheat
    -Bassbreaker 15 in British racing green
    -68 Vibrolux Reverb (current go-to for most gigs)
    -EVH 5150 lll 50w head with Voodoo mods

I want the Bassbreaker 30r still, and a Princeton with a 12" speaker. I've never been big on Deluxe Reverbs, though a few have passed through my hands including the DRRI.

-Mark

11. Chops

Chops Gold Supporting Member

Deluxe Reverb Reissue.

ShredSquatch likes this.
  12. nowhere

nowhere Member

If a new Fender was my only option I would love to go with one of the Customs - Pro, Bandmaster, 57 Twin, Vibro-King, Vibrolux, 65 Twin or Deluxe.

I would be happy to have a Blues Jr., Blues Deluxe or Hot Rod Deluxe though. Despite all the crap they get I've heard lots of players get great sound out of these amps. In fact at the moment I'm considering getting a lacquered tweed Blues Jr. in order to have an amp that's easy to carry around. I've had one in the past and thought it sounded fine. I may go for building a tweed Deluxe kit instead.

Wolfboy1 and ShredSquatch like this.
  13. muzishun

muzishun Member

It would have to be the high powered twin!:dude

Why settle?

ShredSquatch likes this.
  14. jthomas666

jthomas666 Member

I bought a 68 Custom DRRI last summer and I am still in love with the amp. Lots of different amp opinions out there, but really, this is an amazing amp. (Floor model- slightly used= $700 plus shipping... well worth it.) Silverface DRRI from the Vintage channel AND Bassman tones from the Custom channel, reverb and tremolo from both channels. I just jam with friends and so I don't know how it would do gigging, but I suspect that it would be ok in a bar if the drummer wasn't too crazy.

I also have a high power Princeton clone built from a Weber kit (2- 6L6's instead of 6V6's = about 35 watts output through a 12 inch Weber speaker) and it sings. It could certainly keep up with a bar gig, especially with a boost pedal.

I also have a Blues Jr from about 2007 (I think). My first tube amp. It was fine for playing at home. Not my favorite now, but adequate for about $300 used for playing at home and getting tube tone.

If you want new (i.e., not used)- building an amp from a kit will give you about twice the amp for the money. If you can't build it yourself, you probably would still end up ahead in the long run if you paid someone to build it. An amp built on an eyelet or turret board is far more repairable, if/when something craps out. My 68 Custom is built on a PCB board and when some component dies... something other than a bad tube, it would be dicier to fix. (I'll probably have to send it of to Jeff Gehring someday.)

All of my experiences aside, the 4 key issues in buying a new amp would be: 1. how much do you have to spend. 2. How loud do need to get. 3. are you gigging or playing at home, and 4. How much headroom do you need. Like buying a car, used gives you more value as long as the amp's not been abused.

Good luck.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  15. Gillespie1983

Gillespie1983 Member

I would want the 59 Bassman RI, but I couldn't use it. For practical use, I'd go with the 68 Deluxe Reverb or the Vibrolux.

ShredSquatch likes this.
  16. MangoMango

MangoMango Supporting Member

EVH 5150
    What? Its made by Fender.

ShredSquatch likes this.
  17. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

18. Wolfboy1

Wolfboy1 Grandpa but...Not Yet Old! Silver Supporting Member

Edge Deluxe if you're buying otherwise I'd go with the 68 Vibrolux as I like it's options and sounds. Curious about it having a solid state rectifier instead of a tube. I'm not savvy enough to know (or probably hear) the difference.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  19. phractus

phractus Member

I use a 10" Allesandro in my 68 CPR. Awesome speaker for fender tones! Guessing the 12 is just as good

ShredSquatch and ChampReverb like this.
  20. john weires

john weires Member

Super Reverb 65 reissue unless I could find and afford a 59 Twin Tweed Joe Bonamassa model.

ShredSquatch likes this.