• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

If you could only have 1 acoustic guitar?

Skip Reid

Gibson J-200

Recently brought one to my tech for a setup and he was blown away by how great it sounded and played and how light it is.

front-300_600.png
front-300_600.png

Emmylou approved
784px-EmmylouHarris_2_2008.jpg

Others like them too
j-200.jpg
a1994ce85e507655f0d56ad6f0c7671d.jpg
4987_John_Lennon_Gibson_J200_1.jpg
8773374588b5b7a678b36a2accd53b44.jpg
Df_gSwWVMAAdf7H.jpg
I agree :)

5rj9T0w.jpg

TGP0Ohr.jpg

Gallery

Silver Supporting Member
I haven't found one yet. I'm a horrible acoustic player.

I currently own:
Taylor 810: Great playability, but so uncomfortable to hold, good tone
Martin CEO-7: Great blues box tone, tough action to play, comfortable enough to play on the couch

Let me know if you've found an acoustic that:
  • Sounds like a Martin
  • Plays like a Taylor
  • Feels comfortable like Strat
Then I'm in.

Until then, I'm with BB King on skipping that whole acoustic thing.

if i could only have 1 then id sell it and go back to not owning one.

theyre so boring and hack. every time someone thinks theyre diong something new w an acoustic theyre slapping and popping on it...gross. no thanks.

Gallery

Silver Supporting Member
You just described the Martin OM John Mayer, the OMJM. Rounded/oval neck, slightly narrower nut. Spec'ed by John to feel more like his Strats and deliver the Martin sound.

Does it have the same low action that a Taylor has? I've yet to play a Martin that can manage action as low as a Taylor.

Mark Robinson

Gold Supporting Member
I have only one, a sixties Epiphone Texan,with the very dark brown sunburst finish. It is very nice, has a neck like a '60's Gibson. The sound is deep and full like any dried out great J-45.

But a gentleman should have two acoustics, one for himself and one for his guest. So I would option for something akin to my brother Joe's J-200, or possibly a non-dread Martin. Some of the smaller Martin acoustics are ridiculously great sounding. I would also be happy (and nervous) with basically anything from Santa Cruz or Collings.

Jabby92

Heritage cherry hummingbird. Don't care about upper fret access. I just like how it looks best and how they play/sound.

Fingers

I've only ever had one. I bought my Martin D35 50 years ago & it has aged at least as well as a lot of people I've known over that time.

RhytmEarl

Damn it to hell and back Earl.

I'm NOT knowledgeable about acoustics but that Martin is absolutely breathtaking. I wasn't aware of this model at all. Did you buy it new or find a wonderful used example.

Not inexpensive per my quickie REVERB search.

My wife always wanted me to get a "fancy" Martin so I showed her your guitar and she said "I always wanted one like that but you never would buy me one"

As an aside she doesn't play. Her opinion is totally based off visuals...............LOL
I bought it when I was working in LA. A buddy of mine came down and we hit NAMM then went to the concurrent 3 Amigos show. It was there for $6K plus tax.

The OM-45 DLX was always my dream acoustic. I'm primarily an electric player but dabble on acoustic. I saw it, took two turns walking around the entire show to make up my mind, and pulled the trigger. The story I got from the seller was that it was a consignment guitar that was owned by a San Francisco restaurateur who also was a guitar collector and a friend of the local Martin rep. He said the guitar had spent it's life in a showcase. He told me all this AFTER I purchased it so I tend to believe him. The guitar did look unplayed and likely had the factory strings. I took it to McCabes to get the action down to reasonable. It was factory high.

I don't play it a lot but I play it enough so that I don't think I made a foolish purchase. It now has slight pick scratches and clothing rub on it. It's not mint anymore.

Oh, it's #84 of 84. That's kinda cool. It's Indian rosewood, not Brazilian. That would have made it even more perfect but you can't always get what you want. IIRC they only made 14 Brazilian ones.

You can order one from Martin with Brazilian. But they're $100K now. Never gonna happen for me. Even if I had that kind of play money I wouldn't do it. https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/limited-editions/om-45-de-luxe-authentic-1930/

eigentone

Gold Supporting Member
I have a nice 0000-18. I have been keeping my eyes open for the right 000-28 (or another company's take on that style) and I think those two will complement each other nicely. 0000 more for flatpicking and 000 more for fingerstyle.

But if I could have only one acoustic indefinitely, I think a nice Martin OM-18 would be it (or another company/builder's take on that style.)

Last edited:

TELECOLLECTOR

Astro Boy - who knew?
Platinum Supporting Member
I bought it when I was working in LA. A buddy of mine came down and we hit NAMM then went to the concurrent 3 Amigos show. It was there for $6K plus tax.

The OM-45 DLX was always my dream acoustic. I'm primarily an electric player but dabble on acoustic. I saw it, took two turns walking around the entire show to make up my mind, and pulled the trigger. The story I got from the seller was that it was a consignment guitar that was owned by a San Francisco restaurateur who also was a guitar collector and a friend of the local Martin rep. He said the guitar had spent it's life in a showcase. He told me all this AFTER I purchased it so I tend to believe him. The guitar did look unplayed and likely had the factory strings. I took it to McCabes to get the action down to reasonable. It was factory high.

I don't play it a lot but I play it enough so that I don't think I made a foolish purchase. It now has slight pick scratches and clothing rub on it. It's not mint anymore.

Oh, it's #84 of 84. That's kinda cool. It's Indian rosewood, not Brazilian. That would have made it even more perfect but you can't always get what you want. IIRC they only made 14 Brazilian ones.

You can order one from Martin with Brazilian. But they're $100K now. Never gonna happen for me. Even if I had that kind of play money I wouldn't do it. https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/limited-editions/om-45-de-luxe-authentic-1930/

Thanks for the history Earl. Yeah, from what I saw briefly on Reverb you'd make $$$ on it if you were ever to sell.

That's just one damn pretty guitar to me. You did good!

As an aside my wife likes guitars as visual displays - she doesn't play. For that matter most folks think I don't play either................

Back around 1991 or so she wanted me to buy a Gretsch White Falcon, a Ric 381 and a Martin D41 (or was it D42). The Martin was ornate but affordable compared to her first choice (naturally) the D45. I bought one of the White Falcons and a couple of Ric 360's (should have picked up a 381 then) but for some reason didn't buy a Martin.

Rick

Rex Anderson

I've had my '04 Martin 000C-16RGTE for about 15 years now. It's perfect for me.

Yo! I bought my 1997 Special Edition SP000C-16TR used for $1,200 about 20 years ago. I'm sure there are better acoustic guitars, but I like the one I have well enough that I have not replaced it.

M

Member 98218

Played many Martins, Taylors, and Gibsons over the years. I have a Taylor 814ce that is very comfortable and a joy to play but the one that I and all my friends reach for first is my 93 Taylor 810. It's just one of those "special" guitars. It's a tad bulky but from a tone perspective I have yet to find one that compares.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom