If you could only have 1 acoustic guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by fuzzface71, Feb 23, 2020.

1. WhiskeyWhiskers

WhiskeyWhiskers Member

I only have one. Taylor 314CE. Honestly, it’s awesome and I can’t see a reason to change.

uab9253 likes this.
  2. sandcastle

sandcastle Member

Gibson Songwriter probably

Microdot likes this.
  3. guitarmek

guitarmek Member

i only have one, a martin 000. it's a great guitar for writing and recording, but i would like a slightly bigger/louder martin for campfire/backporch jams.

4. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

I only have one acoustic now. I am pretty bonded with it, and it plays easy and sounds sweet, so I guess I'm set. It's a custom built OM style from a small lutherie called John David Scott.
    [​IMG]

Luecack likes this.
  5. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Not versatile, but it would be a National resonator. I would have to be in the position of having to make the choice in real life to make the choice between a single cone or tri-cone. Tri-cone is the prettiest sounding guitar on the planet to me. But the sonic sledgehammer a brass single cone is makes it a force of nature.

6. jvin248

jvin248 Member

I keep a Johnson MIC $80 acoustic that was gifted to me years ago. After a fret level and setup it plays as good as any. I mounted a Strat single coil in the sound hole and added a pin jack at the heel so I can plug into a regular electric guitar amp.

I have other guitars that I've bought to repair and flip or outright flip in a range of price points. But really I am mostly an electric player and the acoustic is a beech campfire singalong guitar and not putting big money into something that can get sand in it/on it/or stepped on by drunken girlfriends.

All you Martin, Taylor, etc etc acoustic players ... glad you are attracted to them to keep those companies making guitars.
    Just work at convincing those companies to choose local fast replenishing woods not fragile rain forest lumber, and all that wood from "managed forests" are still creating demand in the market so don't do it. Play responsibly.

Route67 likes this.
  7. 3waytie4last

3waytie4last Unfluencer Gold Supporting Member

J-45, mine's a '52.

[​IMG]

rusty and Teal_66 like this.
  8. Jamie_Mitchell

Jamie_Mitchell Member

9. BMW-KTM

BMW-KTM Member

Olson SJ
    No question

10. pinfloi

pinfloi Member

Godin Multiac Nylon ACS Slim

[​IMG]
    Slim neck
    No need for microphone
    13-pin cable to V-Guitar modeling for unlimited possibilities :p

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    zcostilla and Inoshishi like this.
  11. GGinMP

GGinMP Silver Supporting Member

A rosewood back & sides OM.

12. s2y

s2y Member

[​IMG]

Sorry about the photobucket blur.

I picked up a Bob Thompson OM with Englemann top and Brazilian RW back/sides. Very versatile for flat picking and fingerstyle. Could easily be my only acoustic.

13. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

14. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

I can only comment on what I've used or owned, this is the one for me, my lovely Taylor 812.

[​IMG]

15. The bear

The bear Member

For steel I would have my Collings C10 short scale cutaway.
    For Nylon my Godin Multiac Grand Concert.

joesnewmatch likes this.
  16. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius Member

But it's true .. I DO only have one acoustic guitar! That's so not true with electrics and basses though. :facepalm

17. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

I have a Waterloo WL-14 and a National Resophonic El Trovador.

I'll make the call that the El T being a reso doesn't count as my "regular" acoustic! Plus it has the National Hot Plate with a Lollar Special T Tele pickup, so it's double-secret protected!

So I guess by default the Waterloo is in fact the acoustic I picked as my only acoustic.

If the question means what acoustic would I pick to own out of all the acoustics, but I don't have to pay for it, well, let's see. There's a Martin 00-17 hanging in my friends store, new and expensive. I really like playing that. And there was a mahogany smaller bodied Santa Cruz model out that I really liked, can't remember the model name. Or a vintage 00-18. Any of those would be just fine!

18. 2Plus2isChicken

2Plus2isChicken Member

I'm not much of an acoustic player, so I'm perfectly happy with my Ovation. It's probably not the best acoustic but it gets the job done for me and sounds good.

I suppose if I were to buy another acoustic I might get some sort of Martin or Taylor, but I don't know much about acoustic guitars, and I'm not planning on getting another one anytime in the foreseeable future.

19. pfair

pfair Supporting Member

I'm a bit of a Collings fanboy, and the only one of my guitars that's currently off limits is my OM1. That being said, I think to my ears it's hard to beat a pre-war or 50's Martin D-18. After buying and selling tons of acoustic guitars, I'm just a mahogany guy.

zcostilla likes this.
  20. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

10 years ago I took the HD28 plunge and never felt the need to seek another acoustic since. It’s THAT special.