If you could ONLY have 3 fuzzes

StratmanSteve

Silver Supporting Member
Tough call. I have a dozen fuzzes, but I seem to be rotating four at the moment (I assume limiting it to 3 was an arbitrary choice).
In no particular order:
  • AnalogMan Dark Peppermint
  • Vick Audio 1861
  • Chase Tone '68 RVF

Honorable mention: DOD Carcosa
AnalogMan Dark Pep Fuzz Sm.jpg Vick Audio 1861 cropped.JPG Chase Tone 68RVF 01.JPG

Last edited:
088AF9BF-9F77-4527-8C4C-9D136CF2F7ED.png

I only have one fuzz! The Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face Mini.

But, if I could only ever have three, my other two would be:
- Way Huge Swollen Pickle for its Muff-iness and versatility
- Audio Kitchen Flying Squirrel because that thing is just from another dimension

Very close runner-up is the Beetronics Swarm, but I feel like that’s more than just a fuzz so it doesn’t count. haha

WordMan

Gold Supporting Member
I don't have a fuzz, never had, in over 50 years of playing.:hide
So - I have been thinking about starting a thread on this. I have never had a fuzz, but, through @27sauce, ended up getting one - by Sound Sounds, aka a builder named Jonny Hafer. It is based on a Tone Bender Mk2, and I have to say it is truly wonderful.

Here are my observations:
  • It seems like most folks put Dirt on a spectrum: Overdrive > Distortion > Fuzz
  • But some Fuzzes feel different. I think of OD and Distortion as amp-focused effects - i.e., they drive the amp, provide amp-in-a-box re-voicing, etc. A good Fuzz is a guitar-focused effect - i.e., the singing quality of a great Germanium fuzz like a Mk2 changes the overall playing experience of the guitar in a way that OD’s and Distortions, in my experience don’t.
  • You can dial up a good low-gain Germanium Fuzz so it is in the Overdrive-to-Distortion range, but has that Fuzz feel. I have a real first-generation Rat; I can dial up the distortion so it is in the Fuzz range of the Dirt Spectrum, but it doesn’t have that Fuzz feel. They are in different categories, to me.
  • So the single Dirt spectrum doesn’t really work to describe Fuzz relative to OD and Distortion, and finding a great Fuzz that works for you is a very, very good thing!!
1601417976207.jpeg

Well I only have two, so I guess I get to pick a third :rotflmao

Have:
Analogman Sunface Bart
PLX FX FZ-2 clone

For the third, lets roll with EQD Hoof Reaper OR big muff pi w/ tone wicker

boppy

I have several. Picking three "forevers" would probably come out to...

Swaptronics BC108 Fuzz Face - still my favourite silicon FF.
Electro-Harmonix Muff Fuzz - late 70s with the IC chip.
Third would be an Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi or a variant thereof. I have the NYC, the Ram's Head reissue, and the Behringer Vintage Fuzz. From those three, I think I'd go with the Behringer. That thing sounds terrific.

cubistguitar

My funnest ones in the closet are
PTD Tornita
Basic Audio Foxey Lady
Basic Audio Marq Won

but a lot more in that closet

jujube

I am no expert at using TGP, so forgive me if I can find this in other threads like the "Strictly Fuzz" thread, but I couldn't bother with going through 1200 pages.

Anyways. If you could ONLY have 3 Fuzz pedals for the rest of your life, which ones would you choose and why?
(Also a bonus if you iclude how you use them)
PTD Bone Machine, PTD Burning Sensation, Noel Cornet.

Tiresias

Bearfoot Candy Apple
TB MK 1.5 variant
Ram's Head variant

I can get most of the fuzz sounds I want/find useful for the music I play from these 3 types. But I'd really miss having access to MK I tones if I had to limit things to these 3...

3 Trombetta Rotobones

In all seriousness, though Trombetta Rotobone, Spaceman Sputnik III and Analogman White Dot Sunface are the only three I have and I am content.
My Rotobone would definitely make this list. It's really difficult from there... Maybe my Creepy Fingers Regulus 8 and my De Sade V2. Don't tell my other fuzz pedals!
I think of the Rotobone more as an OD or for getting the horn thing. But Oh My the Rotoface!

PTD Bone Machine, PTD Burning Sensation, Noel Cornet.
Q for y'all PTD-owning folks—love the sound of these fuzzes, but the secondhand market terrifies me... how much are the secondhand ones on Reverb marked up from what Paul himself charges for a new pedal?

EDIT: D'oh, just found his prices on his site... couldn't find them last time I was there for some reason. Anyway—amazing pedals, y'all!

jujube

Bearfoot Candy Apple
TB MK 1.5 variant
Ram's Head variant

I can get most of the fuzz sounds I want/find useful for the music I play from these 3 types. But I'd really miss having access to MK I tones if I had to limit things to these 3...

Q for y'all PTD-owning folks—love the sound of these fuzzes, but the secondhand market terrifies me... how much are the secondhand ones on Reverb marked up from what Paul himself charges for a new pedal?

EDIT: D'oh, just found his prices on his site... couldn't find them last time I was there for some reason. Anyway—amazing pedals, y'all!
I bought them when they were price normally in the $200 range. The Bone Machine or the new versions is a particularly versatile pedal which incredible touch sensitivity. Just does not mush out.

Jazzandmore

Platinum Supporting Member
I bought them when they were price normally in the $200 range. The Bone Machine or the new versions is a particularly versatile pedal which incredible touch sensitivity. Just does not mush out.
Unfortunately I didn’t find out about them til “later”. So cost a bit more, but oooh soooo worth it!!

fishleehooker

Silver Supporting Member
I could name 3 but there will be about 10 others I like better. But if any of those 10 get named there's probably more waiting in turn. I kinda like fuzz as a rotating statement of intent. If I picked my fave 3, I'd still be looking at the next in line...because they are all so cool and its close and there really isn't a better. I mean there is like Filet Mignon IS better than a great Hamburger. Or is it? Either one all the time and I'd be sick of it. Same with Fuzz. But...I'll play.
Sola Sound Brazilian MK IV Tonebender or Pigdog Juju...its really really close there
Zvex Russian Fuzz Factory 7 or Rotobone or Basic Audio Bye Bias
DAM Dragon Fly or 1965 or Ivor its really really close there

Trending Topics