• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

If you could only have one...

If you could own only one, which would you choose?

• Les Paul

Votes: 311 42.8%
  • SG

Votes: 96 13.2%

Votes: 320 44.0%

• Total voters

Blue Lizard

Ultimate TGP thread; I’m used to responses throwing gear options into the mix that were never asked about, but this is the first I’ve seen an OP get option GAS and go back to the top to add gear! ;)

Still going with LP though!

kdc113

ES-335 all the way, don't like so much the SG, love Les Pauls sound and look, but they don't fit my strum style, I constantly hit the switch when I´m playing.

AprioriMark

Gold Supporting Member
It's odd, because I give way more of a f about Les Pauls, but if I had to choose one, it would have to be an SG. I use LPs because I also have Teles and offsets. As much as I love Les Pauls, I would have to go SG because they're tonally more in the middle of where I need to be. This was a surprising realization, so thanks for the post, OP. Never considered myself an SG guy. Hmmm.

-Mark

Arcadia

Silver Supporting Member
I chose 335 from your choices, but I'm more of a 25.5" bolt-on maple neck guy when it comes to electrics. If I had to get a Gibson electric, I might go for the CS-356.

your name here

Silver Supporting Member
Les Paul.

Why? Because the ES-335 is physically more delicate and prone to feedback and the SG has a spongy attack and weirdly located strap button and can neck dive.

sonofspy

So say you're trying to decide between getting a Les Paul, 335, or an SG. You have a choice of keeping the best Les Paul you've ever heard and played, the best 335 you've ever heard and played, or the best SG you've ever heard and played. Which would you choose and why? And no, you can't afford all three in this case. :p
A Parker of course, nihil conntendere!

MightyGuru

I'd go with the ES335. I've wanted one for ages. My parents surprised me with a ES-175 when I graduated...was supposed to be a 335 but they didn't know the difference.

Years later I traded it on a very special R7 Gold Top...which I still own.

Ron K

Silver Supporting Member
335, for the tone and versatility, plus I just love them. Although, the most beautiful tone I ever heard when plugged straight into an amp was playing a '61 SG-LP my friend owned ages ago. Wish he would have told me when he went to sell it.

sunking101

Depends on my mood on any given day but it would be approximately 50/50 between the 335 and the LP. Today I voted 335 and it's by far the most versatile of the three.

wilson1

So say you're trying to decide between getting a Les Paul, 335, or an SG. You have a choice of keeping the best Les Paul you've ever heard and played, the best 335 you've ever heard and played, or the best SG you've ever heard and played. Which would you choose and why? And no, you can't afford all three in this case. :p
I have all three. Of course the answer is what kind of music you play but to answer your question, the 335. It's the most versatile.

Arf

I may eventually become to old and decrepit to hold a Les Paul or 335, so probably the SG. Besides, an SG's resonance responds to string vibrato like no other guitar. So alive in a different way than a 335. Can't say it's better, just really cool in it's own way.

Trending Topics