If you could put together the lightest, best sounding digital rig (from guitar to FOH) including FRFR...what would you use?

Ejay

I understand this...I think.
I'm trying to put (and/or buy) as few components as possible. I actually own a Crate Powerblock SS. It sounds great clean, but useable OD tones have escaped me using it with pedals.
I have played through an Atomic CLR cab with an Axe Fx 2 and it sounded great.
I have the Axe Fx effects without cab or amp emulation in the FX8. I could try the Crate Powerblock with it through a Bogner Cube 112 I have.
Using this rig, I wouldn't have to buy anything new. The Iridium does sound great on YT, better than the Crate Powerblock at any rate...and I could go with that into the CLR...if I can find one.
Decisions...
Will get back.

Sj
I could well imagine that power block doesn't sounds all hallelujah with drives in front. odds are that when u use modeling into its line input....you will get much better results. at venues I have used returns with a modeler of amps that were horrible using the front, yet when speaker and power section are half decent...with actually very good results.
To get an indication of what the result would be, if you own a daw, download the trial of sgear, switch cabs off and feed that into your crate + cab. Or if your tube amp has a loop, hijack the preamp at the send, and feed that into its line in. This way you can hear what it does with a good preamp in front of it, to possibly pair it with a modeler later. (don't be afraid to use a global eq when needed)

the iridium sounds great, but....if you want to use gain sounds + time effects, there is no way to split your signal into cabsimmed + non cabsimmed signal......so that would be " all in" on full range system. (or mic your cab)

Reactions: TNJ

Baba

Silver Supporting Member
I'd save some money and keep the FX8, and run it into a DSM simplifier, an Atomic Firebox, or a Tech 21 Blonde pedal, into an FRFR.

Or, if the FX8 doesn't have the drive pedal(s) you like, maybe think about an HX Effects, but, that layout should provide the least amount of weight, with the highest SPL, if you can't use IEMs.

Something else to think about, even with custom molded IEM's, they don't block 100% of sound. Even if you just used them for yourself, and kept the guitar volume on the lower side (that's what I do), you will still hear/feel the bass, still hear the drums, and certainly still hear the horns and vocals, so I would at least think about that.

We run silent stage, with acoustic drums, so, I *HAVE to mix the keys and vocals into my ears, but I don't need a lot of bass, nor a lot of drums, because I keep my whole mix and guitar, relatively low in my ears, and these days, I'd rather do that, than use speakers of any kind.

rublalup

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. My wife got me a bluetooth speaker for Christmas, it's about the size of a whiskey glass, it gets surprisingly loud with good bass response and radiates 360 degrees. I remember hearing an Boss L1 back in the day and thinking how great it's going to be when they shrink those down. It's bizarre how far we've come in terms of digital processors modeling amps and yet sound no one is making (or perhaps not marketing) great sounding compact systems for playback. I realize music gear is a very niche industry, but there's some cross over here that a company should exploit.

EDIT: I probably should have looked first. No experience with it, and Bose gear tends to have somewhat of a specific sound, but looks extremely promising:

I use the S1 at home with my fm3. The sound is amazing (I go in one of the inputs normally with bass and treble all the way down... not sure why but that’s the way I prefer it).

Not sure if it can work itself as a monitor with a full band with a loud drummer... on our rehearsal space we have a bigger pa and I monitor trough my power engine or tube amp loop.

It is very light weight and portable. Would be great if my band weren’t so noisy

metropolis_4

Gold Supporting Member
One suggestion I’ll make: if you haven’t shopped for FRFR speakers before, don’t think of speaker sizes the same way you would for guitar speakers.

If you like 12” guitar speakers that doesn’t mean you need a 12” speaker in your FRFR. In fact you’ll often get a better EQ response for guitar from smaller speakers because they have less bass.

With sufficient power, I actually think 8” is a great size because they tend to have less bass and more midrange when pushed louder.

And the bonus is that the 8” will be much smaller, lighter, and cheaper than a 12”

LaceSensor1

Silver Supporting Member
HX stomp or GT-1000 CORE would be your lightest and smallest with full functionality. For just a few more pounds you could step into the full Helix or GT-1000.

Alex Kenivel

the boss cant stand IEM's, and doesn't want to pay any $$$ for anything.
This is a little silly in this context. The IEMs would be for you to hear yourself - nothing would be different for the "boss". A lot of folks (including me) get their feet wet with some $50 KZ buds from Amazon and a long headphone cord.

The "boss" in my band doesn't like IEMs. Everyone in the band uses them except for him and it doesn't get in the way at all as long as you're taking care of your own split and mix.

Pat6969

Silver Supporting Member
Kemper Powerhead and Mesa 112 Widebody. I’d add a small 5-6 button midi switch with mini expression pedal and be done. Out of everything I’ve tried, this rig can’t be beat in sound or ease of use.

Axe-FX III or Kemper and a CLR monitor.

Two pieces, compact, easy to control volume, and what you hear is exactly what goes to FOH. Anything else over-complicates things and adds no real value.

Will Chen

Platinum Supporting Member
I use the S1 at home with my fm3. The sound is amazing (I go in one of the inputs normally with bass and treble all the way down... not sure why but that’s the way I prefer it).

Not sure if it can work itself as a monitor with a full band with a loud drummer... on our rehearsal space we have a bigger pa and I monitor trough my power engine or tube amp loop.

It is very light weight and portable. Would be great if my band weren’t so noisy
Bummer, but I guess it was a bit optimistic and maybe unrealistic to expect a battery powered device to get over a loud drummer.

aleclee

TGP Tech Wrangler
Staff member
That would be great, but I don’t always get a monitor. With the big band I have to share with the horn section. Which never works adequately for me.
When size, space, and weight are at a premium, I'd leave my CLR and PowerCab at home and grab my QSC K8. It's loud, clear, and fairly tiny.

Depending on what your needs are, the Atomic Amplifire 6 or 12 might do the trick. Both are small and lightweight and sound great. If the Atomic amp & FX options cover your bases, it's a great option and tremendous value.

Sleezy E

If light weight is a priority, run through the house monitors. With just guitar and floor modeler / pedal board, you’re toting less than 25 lbs of gear to the venue.
^^this!!

Nothing like showing up to a show with a guitar in one hand and a Helix strapped to my back :drink

rublalup

^^this!!

Nothing like showing up to a show with a guitar in one hand and a Helix strapped to my back :drink
Done that. Sometimes it works... but there’s a big chance you’re gonna miss your monitor/stage volume if iem are not available.

WTF I’m doing reading tgp today at this time? This covid disaster is really changing the way we live

TNJ

Gold Supporting Member
A new year!
Right now I’m thinking a Fractal FM3, an FC6, and a Neo mkii Atomic wedge.
What could I Not do live with a kickin band?
Two pedals, two guitars , one wedge, one mic stand/sennheiser mic?
Less than I take now. The atomic is 33 lb.
anybody wanna buy a great condition FX8 With bag and cable?

Sj

guitarrob

LP > Line 6 HX Stomp > Headrush 108
Rehearsed this week with my band using my full sized Helix into a Headrush FR108. The Headrush FRFR was loud and sounded huge. The only thing that was necessary using this cab was a low cut filter to remove the unnatural bass emphasis of the cab. Think I could do just about any type of gig with this set-up. The Helix is a heavy beast though, as far as floor modelers go, but I like having the DSP and full array of foot-switching options. It was nice to walk into rehearsal with my Helix backpack on my back, guitar gig bag in one hand and FR108 in the other - one trip load in!

Pastafarian

I do miss the days when I had to reach up to plug my guitar in to my live rig but I have come to accept those days are long gone. Doesn't mean you can't have a huge sound though.

Helix with two wedges pointed up at you can give you some insanely huge tones.

Trending Topics