If you could win only one Major Golf Championship...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by gigs, Apr 8, 2015.

1. gigs

gigs Member

US Open for me. Toughest conditions to win with the fast greens and high rough. Set up to penalize every bad shot.

2. RhytmEarl

RhytmEarl Member

Masters for me.

I'd happily settle for just playing the course once.

3. amptex

amptex Member

The usual daydream in my earlier youth was having the green jacket put on by the previous winner. Augusta for me.

4. BMX

BMX Supporting Member

I picked U.S. Open. The Masters is cool but it has the weakest field so it doesn't have the same prestige of the U.S. Open for me.

5. 808

808 Member

I love the Masters but to me the U.S. Open is the the most prestigious major of all. Typically the toughest coarses and fields. The very reason as of now I rate Ernie Els above Phil Mickelson.

6. Nickstrtcstr

Nickstrtcstr Lactose Intolerant Guitar Slinger

The Open is the most challenging but, Augusta National looks so beautiful on TV. I would love to play it in real life.

7. jimmybcool

jimmybcool Supporting Member

Whoa. Weakest field at the Masters? How do you figure that?

Here are the criteria for playing in the Masters and US Open. Seems like about 90% overlap to me.

As for myself it would be the green jacket every day.

US Open

The U.S. Open is open to any professional, or to any amateur with an up-to-date men's USGA Handicap Index not exceeding 1.4.[3] Players (male or female)[3] may obtain a place by being fully exempt or by competing successfully in qualifying. The field is 156 players.

About half of the field is made up of players who are fully exempt from qualifying. As of the most recent U.S. Open in 2014, the exemption categories are:[4]

Winners of the U.S. Open for the last ten years
    Winner and runner-up from the previous year's U.S. Amateur
    Winner of the previous year's Amateur Championship[5]
    The previous year's Mark H. McCormack Medal winner for the top-ranked amateur golfer in the world[5]
    Winners of each of Masters Tournament, Open Championship and PGA Championship for the last five years
    Winners of the last three Players Championships
    Winner of the current year's BMW PGA Championship
    Winner of the last U.S. Senior Open
    Top 10 finishers and ties from the previous year's U.S. Open
    Players who qualified for the previous year's Tour Championship
    The top 60 in the Official World Golf Ranking (OWGR) as of two weeks before the start of the tournament
    The top 60 in the OWGR as of the tournament date
    Special exemptions selected by the USGA
    All remaining spots after the second top 60 OWGR cutoff date filled by alternates from qualifying tournaments.
    The exemptions for amateurs apply only if the players remain amateurs as of the tournament date.

Before 2011, the sole OWGR cutoff for entry was the top 50 as of two weeks before the tournament. An exemption category for the top 50 as of the tournament date was added for 2011, apparently in response to the phenomenon of golfers entering the top 50 between the original cutoff date and the tournament (such as Justin Rose and Rickie Fowler in 2010).[6]

Through 2011, exemptions existed for leading money winners on the PGA, European, Japanese, and Australasian tours, as well as winners of multiple PGA Tour events in the year before the U.S. Open. These categories were eliminated in favor of inviting the top 60 on the OWGR at both relevant dates.[6] Starting with the 2012 championship, an exemption was added for the winner of the current year's BMW PGA Championship, the European Tour's equivalent of The Players Championship.[7]

Potential competitors who are not fully exempt must enter the Qualifying process, which has two stages. Firstly there is Local Qualifying, which is played over 18 holes at more than 100 courses around the United States. Many leading players are exempt from this first stage, and they join the successful local qualifiers at the Sectional Qualifying stage, which is played over 36 holes in one day at several sites in the U.S., as well as one each in Europe and Japan. There is no lower age limit and the youngest-ever qualifier was 14-year-old Andy Zhang of China, who qualified in 2012 after Paul Casey withdrew days before the tournament.

The purse at the 2014 U.S. Open was $9 million, and the winner's share was $1.62 million. The European Tour uses conversion rates at the time of the tournament to calculate the official prize money used in their Race to Dubai (€6,665,578 in 2014). In line with the other majors, winning the U.S. Open gives a golfer several privileges that make his career much more secure if he is not already one of the elite players of the sport. U.S. Open champions are automatically invited to play in the other three majors (the Masters, The Open Championship (British Open), and the PGA Championship) for the next five years, as well as The Players Championship, and they are exempt from qualifying for the U.S. Open itself for 10 years. They may also receive a five-year exemption on the PGA Tour, which is automatic for regular members. Non-PGA Tour members who win the U.S. Open have the choice of joining the PGA Tour either within 60 days of winning, or prior to the beginning of any one of the next five tour seasons. Finally, U.S. Open winners receive automatic invitations to three of the five senior majors once they turn 50; they receive a five-year invitation to the U.S. Senior Open and a lifetime invitation to the Senior PGA Championship and Senior British Open.

The top 10 finishers at the U.S. Open are fully exempt from qualifying for the following year's Open, and the top four are automatically invited to the following season's Masters.

Masters

Masters Tournament Champions (Lifetime)
    US Open Champions (Honorary, non-competing after 5 years)
    British Open Champions (Honorary, non-competing after 5 years)
    PGA Champions (Honorary, non-competing after 5 years)
    Winners of The Players Championship (Three years)
    Current US Amateur Champion (Honorary, non-competing after 1 year) and the runner-up to the current US Amateur Champion
    Current British Amateur Champion (Honorary, non-competing after 1 year)
    Current Asia-Pacific Amateur Champion
    Current Latin America Amateur Champion
    Current US Amateur Public Links Champion
    Current US Mid-Amateur Champion
    The first 12 players, including ties, in the previous year's Masters Tournament
    The first 4 players, including ties, in the previous year's US Open Championship
    The first 4 players, including ties, in the previous year's British Open Championship
    The first 4 players, including ties, in the previous year's PGA Championship
    Winners of PGA Tour events that award a full-point allocation for the season-ending Tour Championship, from previous Masters to current Masters
    Those qualifying for the previous year's season-ending Tour Championship
    The 50 leaders on the Final Official World Golf Ranking for the previous calendar year
    The 50 leaders on the Official World Golf Ranking published during the week prior to the current Masters Tournament

8. DamianL

DamianL Member

It's all about the history.

The Open at St Andrew's please.

D

9. ACfixer

ACfixer Member

Ditto.

10. luv

luv Member

There are various reasons to want to win a Masters, a US Open and a British Open (aka The Open). PGA Championship? Sorry PGA, but meh.

US Open......obvious. I'm an American. It's my countries Championship.

British Open. 1st Major Championship. Would be tough to pass up a win if the Open was played at St Andrews. Home of golf.

Masters. Just WOW! Winner gets a lifetime entry into the Masters every year and gets to eat at the Champions dinner every year. I couldn't pass that up.

US Open and British Open are often played on courses that the public has access to. Anyone can play on many of these courses. The same can't be said for Augusta.

Masters for me, by a pretty big margin.

11. Bobby Wasabi

Bobby Wasabi Member

I voted Masters because green is my favorite color and I don't own a sport coat.

12. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

US Open, though I don't like how "easy" it has become. I don't like seeing -15 and -9 winners.

13. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

14. BMX

BMX Supporting Member

Jimmybcool-it's actually not controversial to say that the masters has a weaker field. Any golf analyst would agree with that. There are a lot of players in any given masters field that wouldn't be in any other major including amateurs and past winners.

15. taez555

taez555 Member

Whichever gets you the best Nike Endorsement.

16. Bankston

Bankston Member

Me too. I've played the Old Course and I'm going to see the Open this year. We're hoping to play the Old Course on Tuesday because the pin placements will be the same as Sunday.

17. gigs

gigs Member

Wondering why the PGA is considered a Major anymore? Why don't they replace the PGA and play a Major in Australia or Asia instead?

18. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

I believe the PGA Championship, having no amateurs in it, is generally considered the hardest field of the year.

19. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

I've been to quite a few Majors but I truly enjoy going to Augusta. That is the HEAVEN in golf. The grounds are as pristine as what you see on TV during the tournament and even better when the tournament is not in progress. I've been there 6 times and will be there again next year, and always look forward to it. It's bucket list good.

20. gigs

gigs Member

Suppose they held the PGA the week before the Super Bowl in a Southern Hemisphere country. Keep interest in the PGA year round.