If you dont gig or play out, can you justify a high dollar custom shop guitar ?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by BryanMatthews, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Dave2512

Dave2512 Member

I'll say it again, I don't see how where an instrument is played matters. Why does the OP place so much importance on playing out? Not even sure what that means. Anyone can hoof on over to an open jam or busk, that's playing out. Not sure why using a tool to make music needs to be heard by another person. Point being music happens in lots of different places, a stage in front of strangers is just one place.

2. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

I agree ... they each have pluses but there is something unique about the totality of the mix in a good live situation in a bigger room with the right inspiration, perspiration, adrenaline, interaction, etc., that you just may not get at home in the basement ... the reverse can also be true some days.;)

3. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

Done... ...and yeah, I've had Ken's bread. :bow indeed!

4. kingsleyd

There are other places one might play, Donnie. A few years ago I was invited to perform at the inaugural concert for the new concert hall at the high school I attended in the early '70s. (ever see Dead Poets Society? that was filmed at the school I went to) The sound onstage (and in the seats) was extraodinary. I did one of the solo pieces from my CD and, holy crap, I've never heard anything like that in my life. Wow!!!!!! Wish I got to play there more often.

(funny, in my days as a student, I spent a whole lotta time playing solo guitar in the chapel... reverb for days... that explains a lot! ;))

5. aaron1433

aaron1433 Member

fenders and gibsons weren't inexpensive when they hit the scene. quality instruments are inspiring. As is often in case (not always), you get what you pay for.

6. Kanetoads

Kanetoads Active Member

I record my music, the answer lies there....

7. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

it's just money...you can't take it with you.
    buy what makes you happy and screw what others think. you only live life once.

8. ldp1959

ldp1959 Member

I guess if I buy a multi thousand dollar guitar to play at home, that is where it was made to be played. This could possibly be relevant if it was directed at those who buy mega fast sports cars to drive to the club and back, but even then the same premise applies, in America we can do, legally, whatever we want with our money. Pretty much. Or at least those with money can..;)

9. kingsleyd

This is sort of a digression, but Dave, I've played "out" and in bands enough to concur with you on this point. Certain guitars might not stand out played solo at home, but in a band mix, they sound great. They cut through with clarity and definition in such a way that you don't have to goose the volume to hear yourself, and they're mix-friendly. That's a significant part of what is so fantabulous about good vintage LPs, Strats, and Teles btw...

...it's not dissimilar to how wine works. There are two opposing points of view on wine. One way is to think of it in isolation: you have a tasting where you just sip a bunch of different wines and pick the one that stands out the most. The other way is to think of it as a condiment: you put a meal on the table and sip the wines in the context of your meal. A funny thing happens when you do both: wines that blow everyone away solo don't always work with food, and wines that work great with food tend to get underestimated when tasted solo.

The bottom line? Just because a certain wine got a 97 in the Wine Spectator doesn't mean it's what you want to have with the dinner you're fixing tonight for that special someone! Same thing applies to guitars...

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  10. Tidewater Custom Shop

Tidewater Custom Shop Performance Enhancing Guitarworks Supporting Member

I don't gig, and I'm not in a band. The relevance for me is what I like and what I can afford. I am not adverse to a sub $500 guitar if it's a good one. But because I don't gig doesn't mean I don't want to play or own a $3000 guitar.

11. badger146

badger146 Member

i can, therefore i should

12. Irreverent

Irreverent Member

Now what kinda RIDICULOUS question is that?

Peace.

13. kingsleyd

Dude... you are the test case for this particular question! (which, I agree, is sorta misguided)

See ya Friday, I hope. :drink

14. frank62

frank62 Member

When I had my shop and when I worked for GC it was common for people who could not play a lick to buy high end guitars just because they liked nice things.

15. lhallam

lhallam Member

+1

My buddy has three motor cycles, one of which he customized in a Hendrix theme. All my gear total doesn't come to that cost.

Other folks I know have huge houses and drive Mercedes.

I have a house just big enough (wish it was a little bigger) and drive a used Honda I paid cash for.

It's all about your priorities and what you can afford.

That said I've got a pretty good mix of equipment, some boutique, some OTS, some no name, all of it mostly bought used.

I'm a pretty good player, have put in the hours, got a music degree, have paid my dues and am done with band practices, dealing with band members, 2AM equipment load in, 45 minute drive, unload for a few measly bucks. Although I'd do it for the right band and the right music.

I do continue to jam with folks though.

BTW - my gear sounds great.

16. HerrRentz

HerrRentz Member

Yeah, I can justify it. I earned it, I saved for it, I bought it.

Waited 30 years for one and no one is going to tell me I don't need a $5K guitar.

17. KennethC

KennethC Member

Does playing in a band in church weekly and in a public space once a month count as gigging? If so, then I gig with my Tyler and love the feel of the guitar and the tones I get! As someone else said, it's all self-justifiable, and what's most important is whether it inspires you to do what you like in the most passionate and enjoyable way.

18. robare99

robare99 Senior Member

It's your money, do what you want with it.

19. teleman55

teleman55 Member

I gig and play out and I can't justify those guitars. Not that I could afford them anyway. What I can do is compare old ones like their modeled after with the new standard ones. I like the new ones, sometimes with a pickup swap or a little tweaking, sometimes not. That said, the better the instrument you have, the better you will sound, and the more at ease you wil be using it.

20. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

best reply in the thread :spit