If you found out your beloved #1 was a fake or a knock off copy......

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 70 Mach 1, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Page of Cups

Page of Cups Member

I'd simply be grateful that I had a beloved #1.

It's not difficult to find an authentic 57 goldtop or a 68 fretless wonder, relatively. What's difficult to find is a beloved number one. My number one [probably my 50th purchase in trying to find a beloved #1] turns out to be a beat up old K-Line telecaster "copy". It has a Fender "Custom" neck. I assumed it was a Fender custom shop guitar until I was inside it once and discovered "K-Line" and "Lollar" written in there. Meh. Good for K-Line! Good for me! I have more expensive guitars. I have less expensive guitars. My love for it developed over time. I simply without thinking too much, kept reaching for that one. I've never spent a moment thinking of it as a fake or copy. I'm just glad somebody created it, and a passed it to my hands.

Here is the last comment I "liked" in the Gibson threads. It expresses the definitive core sentiment for me. It comes to mind here...
    Having a beloved #1 even lays that impeccable comment to rest. Once you have a beloved, it redefines authentic. Everything else doesn't completely even seem like a guitar.

JackD likes this.
  2. coffeecupman

coffeecupman Member

I should add that I don't ONLY have copies. Just that they're my go-tos. Some of the boutique builders can be a little better than the master builders at the custom shops. And they're not strangled by CITES.

3. mvsr990

mvsr990 Supporting Member

I would be horrified that Wildwood's Thin Skin runs have nothing to do with Fender and they're just contracting out knockoffs. I would then use this information to blackmail them into sending me free stuff.

4. Page of Cups

Page of Cups Member

I was thinking I was in that crowd above branding until I realized that if I discovered my Les Paul was China-shop counterfeit I'd probably get a thrill out of telling people it wasn't Gibson but a Chinese copy. Yeah, I can see myself broadcasting that far and wide...;) Ya got me!:p I am humbled...:D

5. monty

monty Member

I would scrape of the wording on the headstock and keep playing and enjoying it.

6. SkydogFan81

SkydogFan81 Supporting Member

Let Ray Charles answer this question...he would ask, "But how does it sound, baby?"

My number one is because of sound/tone and dynamic range/flexibility. I don't care who made it, it just happens to be #playauthentic :band:horse:hide2

7. dougk

dougk Silver Supporting Member

LOL it'd probably be better than ours anyways

bsacamano likes this.
  8. buddyrama

buddyrama Supporting Member

The music I collided with over the years didn't ask me where my instrument was made.

9. paulydangerous

paulydangerous Member

My first good guitar was a Partscaster. I bought it off a guy I knew who worked at a guitar store I went to a lot. Alder body in Fiesta Red, maple neck w/vintage frets. He told me it was a 57' Strat. Cool. 375.00 (1986). I didn't know the difference between a parts guitar and the real thing so if people asked me what guitar I played I said "a 57 Strat". My older guitar playing buddy explained
    to me the difference. Namely " A 57 Strat doesn't have 22 frets amongst other things". We laughed, I played the guitar for a month or so. Discovered I don't like vintage fret wire and sold it to an older guitar player in town. Last I heard he still owns it. The 57 Strat.

10. runningman

runningman Member

I like to think I wouldn't care, but I have a feeling I would.

There's no logic in it--it works on an emotional level.

Here's an analogy. You hire someone on the basis of their stellar resume and impressive credentials, and they turn out to be hard-working, creative and smart. They are conscientious and professional: an undisputed asset to the company. After a few years, you find out their entire background was fabricated, they never got a degree and they have a criminal record.

What to do?

I submit that you wouldn't be able to look at them the same way ever again, and that if you kept them on, you'd be consumed not only by the fact that you were employing a fraud, but even more so by the realization you'd been conned.

Regardless how good the guitar, I think I'd have to cut it loose.

11. CanuckChris

CanuckChris Supporting Member

My number one is a bit of a fake. Fender neck, custom strat body from a local builder, and parts gleaned from the spare parts box, Stewmac and the local guitar shops. Doesn't bother me at all, as it still inspires me to create music. If it turned out the neck was a knock-off, I'd say whoever faked it got it right.

12. Jamie_Mitchell

Jamie_Mitchell Member

but why would you care, exactly?
    for your #1? usually a #1 is an instrument you’ve invested a lot of time with. so you’re getting retroactively furious about overpaying for the instrument you’ve bonded the most with? you’re never going to sell it, so why does it matter?

13. PeterG

PeterG Member

My beloved number 1 is a booteek Stratocaster knockoff. :D :D :D

14. Johnny Rockit

Johnny Rockit Gold Supporting Member

A bunch of guitars, quite a few Les Pauls' hard to say. They are all fantastic but my #1 is a fake along with #2 and #3 Two Maxes, a Derrig and a collector's choice. I'm NOT BUMMED AT ALL! Can you guess the order 1,2,3, and 4?

15. JosephZdyrski

JosephZdyrski Member

Would I care if my MIC Epiphone Dot was fake.... not I wouldn’t care.

How about my Ibanez RG170r .... nope wouldn’t care either.

16. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

No problem. If it works, it works, and it's all mojo.

17. Dale

Dale Member

Yes.

18. Ron

Ron Supporting Member

I don't have a #1, so keeping or selling it would depend on how much I liked playing it. I mean it's just a guitar, right?

19. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Member

nope. if it plays great and sounds great then it's a good guitar regardless.

20. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

I'd be a little perturbed regarding how much money I spent on it, but that wouldn't do a thing to stop me from playing it or cherishing it the way I do now.