If you had $1350 what 1x12 30w Combo Would You Buy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 1kidc, Oct 13, 2006.

1. 1kidc

1kidc Member

I'd like a 30w el-84 (though I'd consider other tube types) amp that won't break either my wallet or my back. In general I like the Matchless/Badcat class A vibe but don't have the Benjamins for one of those.

Don't really care about channel switching or how well the amp breaks up.. I'm more interested in clean tone, headroom and projection. I've got plenty of dirt pedals.

I play in a 9 pc horn band and am rarely able to be mic'd. I play lots of EWF rhythm stuff and often feel like I get burried in the shuffle. If you were a strat guy like me what would you be on the lookout for used?

2. Beam Tetrode

Beam Tetrode Member

3. 1kidc

1kidc Member

But don't those weigh a TON?

4. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I'm more interested in clean tone, headroom and projection. I've got plenty of dirt pedals.

I play in a 9 pc horn band and am rarely able to be mic'd. I play lots of EWF rhythm stuff and often feel like I get burried in the shuffle. If you were a strat guy like me what would you be on the lookout for used?

-----------------------------------------------------

Based on those criteria, and your price, I *would not* get a 4xEL84 1x12 combo, I'd get a

Super Reverb Reissue.

5. alanbass1

alanbass1 Member

I would go that 'little' bit further and get a Kingsley Classic 30 - but these come in at $1690.

http://www.kingsleyamplifiers.com/

However, the sound and quality of construction is right up there with Matchless and Badcat.

6. rooster

rooster Member

Mine's 18W, but it runs 6V6's rather than EL84's, so it has lots more headroom and balls. Personally, I'd buy mine, since I'm tight with the manufacturer. :AOK

rooster.

7. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

Boogie F-50. It has 6L6's and not El84s (that would be the F-30) but I thought this amp was a superb combo. The higher wattage gives you greater headroom but you can dial in the dirt at any volume.

-Rich

8. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

9. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

for that type of music, a no brainer.
    a silver face super reverb would be a good choice, as well.

10. 1kidc

1kidc Member

Nice options - keep em coming!

That 18w Dr. Z is mighty tempting. I've played those before and the headroom/clean volume is ALMOST there but still not quite enough to cut through this giant behemoth of a band I'm in. Also, I like the way Dr. Z's sound generally, but you sure see a lot of them up for sale here - and I wonder why?

I've never really bonded with Fender amps other than my buddy's 1964 deluxe. There's that metallic upper midrange clank that I just can't ever seem to dial out.

I really like the responsive snap that class A amps w/ el84's seem to deliver - though el34's like the clubman seem to have it as well.

To be honest, my early 80's yamaha g-50's do the trick onstage for getting that "direct through the board" rhythm sound ala EWF & Prince. I'm just looking for something more dynamic in response and more multi-dimensional in tone.

Weight-wise something along the lines of a Carr Rambler or a CUB is what I'm looking for. IE: Light!

11. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Many of the Z amps I see for sale seem to be making room for a larger or smaller Z amp, though I'm sure they don't fit everybody. My Carmen Ghia is about all the amp I need these days...

If you put a higher powered speaker in the Maz, it'd be a lot louder. I put a WeberVST California series C12CA ceramic JBL clone in my Ghia's 1x12" cab... the amp wouldn't break up at all and was sooo loud. Like a country amp... Speaker makes a HUGE difference in headroom/volume, IMHO.

12. Amplite

Amplite Member

Fargen Epic 30 & Have Ben voice it big and clean for you!- might be a touch over your budget but worth it!!

13. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

14. Guitar55

Guitar55 Who was that masked man? Silver Supporting Member

I have a Lonestar Classic for sale in that price range. It has 6L6's (and a spare set), but it can take EL34's or even 6V6's! This amp has the most amazing clean sound. Channel assignable 50/100watt settings.
    Let me know if you're interested.

15. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

Might not fit the bill, but maybe a Marshall Jubilee...the power is overrated for what they are 50 is really like 40. I own a 2558 2x12 and have plenty of headroom and tone options, you might be able to pick up the 1x12 combo within that price range.

16. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

17. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

The Z's will probably fit your bill nicely but I am partial to Tophats. I'd look at the Club Royale or the Super Deluxe. I chose Tophat over the Z's.

18. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Peavey Classic 30/50
    Traynor YCV15/50 Blue
    Orange Rocker 30
    Valvetech 22
    Budda SD II 18/30

19. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Skip the Maz Jr. not enough power, get the Maz Sr. instead. I owned a Studio Deluxe back in 1997 and should have kept it. The only reason I sold it is at that time there where hardly replacement speakers and I couldn't stand the V30, I eventually gave up on it. If I had one now I would put a Eminence Governor in it...this would be a killing combination.

20. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Weight being an issue, I wouldn't buy a combo, I'd buy a head and a cab. If all I had was $1350 I'd save up longer and buy a used Two Rock. If I *had* to spend the $1350 I'd buy a used Bogner Shiva (yep I know it is slightly louder than 30 watts) and then save up for cab...

I know that doesn't answer the question within your parameters but that is what I'd do