If You had 2 Teles and Were Building a Third ...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by galibier_un, Feb 15, 2012.

1. galibier_un

galibier_un Supporting Member

What pickups would be on your short list?

• Tele #1: Suhr Pro Series T-2 (alder body, maple neck/maple fingerboard)
    • Tele #2: Rondo Music (SX) - alder body, maple neck / rosewood fingerboard with Lollar Charlie Christian neck and a "P90 style" bridge. Both pickups are for humbucker routes.
    The new guitar will be a USACG body - most likely alder, with a USACG maple neck/maple fingerboard. Bridge will be something traditional and tuners will likely be Sperzel or Hipshot.

The two candidates for Tele #3 are:

• Don Mare (Super Sports?) - choosing this set over all others only because it seems to be "safest" middle of the road Tele sound. I'm open to suggestions.
    • Lollar '52's
    I like the sound of both current guitars, and the goal is to have a third sound. For this reason, I'm leaning toward the Don Mares. The Charlie Christians are the fattest sounding pickups I'd want, so my choice seems to lie in the more vintage/traditional Tele sound - either that, or "duplicating" one of my two guitars.

I don't have any other Tele experience, so I don't know how the Suhr fits into the whole sonic pallet of Telecasters. My sense is that it's a touch on the higher o/p side, but still paying homage to the traditional Tele sound.

As far as my current Lollar-based guitar with its rosewood fingerboard is concerned, I think that even though the new guitar will have a maple fingerboard, if I put Charlie Christian pickups on it, the two guitars will be more alike than different.

I'm leaning toward the Don Mares for this reason. My sense is that they'll in general be more vintage sounding than the Suhrs, and give me widest range of 3 different Teles.

Current amps btw, are a Mission Amps Aurora (6V6), Redplate Blackverb, and Champ type amp of my own making.

Help a tortured soul :bonk
    ... Thom

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  2. TheCount0212

TheCount0212 Member

Why not ash or mahogany body, or a thinline? Already have two alder teles..

3. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

Why not try a different tack - TV Jones or G&L pickups for. Midway house between classic Tele and fatness?

4. Steve73

Steve73 Member

The Mares are great pickups and really push the vintage vibe. I'd recommend getting his Donocaster set. They are lower wind than the Super Sports so you'll get a very traditional Tele type tone, very different I think than the two you have already.

5. bazooka47

bazooka47 Member

'72 Thinline replica with Lollar Regals. Awesome. Trust me- just finished one.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  6. galibier_un

Maybe I should go with swamp ash for this one ...

I guess my biggest question boils down to whether or not my Suhr has a vintage vibe. I suspect it's a bit more "modern", but what the heck do I know? If I'm correct about this, I'm leaning toward the Mares - to have at least one expression of Leo's original concept ... before building #4.

Donocasters? These might indeed be more suitable. The myriad of choices on Don's site can be confusing. I'll call Don before I'm ready to pull the trigger. It seems as if I've sold myself on heading down the Don Mare path. It does seem as if the Super Sports are a bit too modern, and close to my Suhr, but what the heck can you tell from a sound clip?

We're blessed/cursed with a myriad of great, small manufacturers, and I know I couldn't go wrong with any of them (tone is in your fingers and all that ...).

Cheers,
    Thom

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  7. cacibi

cacibi Member

I would agree with the DM's and also going with a lower wind for more vintage sound. I have the 4709's which nail the vintage tele tone for me. The most useable Tele-style neck pickup I've ever played.

8. big mike

big mike Administrator Staff Member

Thorn Staple top tele pickups in a Mahogany body.

Or Don Mare SS's in a Ash body.

9. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

I have a set of Super Sports with the Blak Krowe bridge and they are awesome. If you've already got a "standard" style Tele, I'd try something totally different like the Hayride or Zep-0-tone sets (from Mare).

10. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

id go with era-specific specs. I have 4 teles 1 with blackguard spec pickups, (fred stuart blackguard) 1 with late 50s-early 60s/bakersfeild spec (fralin stock), 1 with early broadcaster spec,(rumpelstiltskin 1950) and 1 with a p90 in the bridge. (lollar)

That covers just about all the tele bases and then some.

11. galibier_un

Drop dead gorgeous.. This gives me pause ... I want to build something with an early 50's vibe first and find myself leaning toward the Donocasters first, but ...a Thinline could easily be in my future.

Cheers,
    Thom

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  12. galibier_un

I'm wavering toward Lollar '52s.

No doubt, the Mares are great pickups, but every time I play my Tele with the Lollar Charlie Christians I smile, and think to myself that Jason sees (hears) the world the way I do.

On a side note, I spoke with Greg Timmons at Lolllar yesterday. He feels that the difference between the '52s and the Vintage T's is quite a bit greater than what you hear on the sound clips - even when listening through a good set of phones.

Cheers,
    Thom

13. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    TV Jones Classics

14. galibier_un

This thread is dangerous to my financial health. I now have at least two future projects on the books [​IMG]

Cheers,
    Thom

15. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    ok hehehe
    but these would have been my very first Tele.
    Best PUPS money can buy imo :)

16. TresGatos

TresGatos Member

Big Mike speaks from on the mountain. These are godly options.

I have DM SSs and DM Zep-O-Tones and though the Z-O-T nail Pagey, the SSs are more versatile.
    Thorn's are on my list on must gets.....

17. Ashe

Ashe Senior Member

lil 59 bridge, stacked p90 neck (seymour duncan)

18. johnmfer

johnmfer Member

Wow, you took the words right out of my mouth there. That's beautiful, congrats!!

I was also going to suggest La Cabronita or something with mini-humbuckers.

19. bazooka47

bazooka47 Member

Thanks. I'm very pleased with the way it turned out.

20. Nork

Nork Member

i'm in the "go different". swamp ash, filtertrons sorta thing.