If you had $500 bucks to build a pedal board...?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by wattsup32, Jun 4, 2006.

1. wattsup32

wattsup32 Member

What would you do? I play indie, country, and bluesy rock. Wilco kinda stuff. What pedals do I need? Which particular ones should I buy? I have maybe 5 bills to drop...

thanks for the recs

2. asdf

asdf Member

For the board itself, make one- don't buy one- since you're on a limited budget. Tim pedal by Paul Cochrane ($150) should have you covered for OD sounds. If you're comfortable with a soldering iron: www.buildyourownclone.com
    No electronics knowledge needed, just how to solder (and you don't have to be great). They have good fuzz face clones, delays, boosters, etc.
    Do you want any modulation effects, or just drive/boost?

I figure:
    Tim: $150
    BYOC Delay: $75
    BYOC Tremelo: $75
    BYOC Tri-boost: $90
    Korg DT-10: $90
    And the remaining 20 plus a little more on George Ls and Velcro.

3. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

dude, $500:

byoc: screamer, triboost, tremolo, delay, chorus, phase 90, bender, fuzz face, compressor, and envelope filter.

well, actually it's more like $735. but you would have every single base covered!!!

4. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER

Hey wattsup32

I play similar stuff to you so...

firstly

+ 1 on the TIM-you can't go wrong with this guy!

I'd maybe look at a used trem of some sort-Demeter, Fulltone, Voodoo Labs etc should be available pretty affordably. It's an effect that's used quite a lot by the crop of modern alt-country artists al la Wilco, Son Volt etc

As far as the board goes, buy a cheap tools case from your local electrical store (the type that have the clip in top section that holds the screwdrivers etc) Get some chipboard that will fit inside for mounting the pedals on. Get some velco for the fixing the pedals, foam for the lid, that's about it. This is pretty much what I did. It's a cheap way of doing things that has served me well for years...about 10 actually! Only just now am going to something a bit more custom made.

5. JoeyD

JoeyD Member

For that kinda stuff you pretty much need some sort of delay. Check the used market- EH Memory Man might be a good choice due to its onboard modulaton. A dd-3 may also serve your purposes, that you could later get modded when you have more cash.

Bad Monkey OD might be all you need and those are super cheap. I wouldent bother with any distortions, an OD should serve you well.

A tremolo would also be good. The first thing you should find out is if you will use tap tempo. if you wont, then there are many choices. In my situation, the EH Pulsar reissue serves well, it has every extreme sound you could think of with all the in betweens, and it was only 100$ Can. If you need tap temop maybe the line 6 or other pedal will work for you, in your price range.

So there you have a Delay, OD and Trem for under 500, a bit for the board and PS (i would recoment a 1spot or godlyke, cheap and work well). You might also want to consider reverb if you arent happy with your amp's reverb, seeing as you would get a lot of mileage out of that. Line 6 Verbzilla would be the crem- de crem, with an overload of extream sounds, or you could pick up a holy grail for arround 100. Shop arround, but you will prorobly want those 4 types for the stuff you are playing.

6. wattsup32

wattsup32 Member

one of my amps has reverb and the other doesn't. can i use a reverb pedal to give my non-reverb amp reverb?

so far i'm hearing:

build my own board
    get an OD
    Tremelo
    Delay
    Reverb

What else? Keep 'em coming. I donated to the board just so I wouldn't feel guilty about using all of your expertise.

7. T-bone

T-bone Member

Velcro=$10
    Scrap wood=$0
    TB Loop(2 loops) used+$60
    Dano Tuna Melt(don't laugh that sucka sounds good it's just cheaply made-put that in 1 loop)-$30
    Ibanez DE7(great pedal-can do slap back all the way to self oc space ship noise- a bit of a tone sucker-loop 2)-$60
    Bjfe- Honey Bee--$279
    HBE Germania-$100

Total is $539
    Not bad

8. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

I'd do

Lovepedal Eternity $289
    Lovepedal COT50 $199
    Lava 6" patch cable (canare) $9.95

flatten out the shipping boxes they came in, tape 'em together with black electrical tape and voila, a pedalboard, let's say the tape costs $2.

you come in @ $499.95

9. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

As above :) The BYOC stuff is top notch and fun if you like to tinker...
    But yeah...all of the above would work.

10. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

+1 :D

And then go steal anything else you need or there is always bottle deposit money;)

11. granite

granite Member

Timmy $100 New
    Strobostomp Tuner $189 New
    Pedal Doctor Tangerine Squeeze Compressor $169 New
    BYOC Delay: $75
    Total: $533 (less if you can find used pedals)

12. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Korg DT-10 Tuner ($80)
    Budda wah ($150)
    Used Visual Sound H2O chorus and delay ($100)

This leaves you $170 to get a nice overdrive/boost pedals. This is going to be an important part of your sound though I'm not sure what your amp is doing. In the new or used category I have seen: FD II, Blackstone, TC Jauernig Gristle King, TIM, Barber Burn Unit or Tone Pump ...

You could do well for yourself if you shop around.

13. lanesmat

lanesmat Member

Of course, overdrive/distortion will be a listener-specific choice, but FWIW I've got much less than 5 bills for my board, it doesn't look amateur, and it does what I need for my gigs. (No offense to those homemade pedalboard users, I only know what it would look like if I did it) The pedalboard case also has enough room for all my cables, and extras. Please note that I bought used except for the Onespot power supply.

Pedaltrain pedalboard (old hardcase style) - $110 shipped (thanks Dave Orban)
    TS-5 tubescreamer - $50
    Bad Monkey - $40
    Digidelay - $50
    Boss EQ - $75
    Onespot w/daisy chain - $40

Total = $365

Some folks would argue that my cheap effects aren't the way to go, but I only use pedals to spice my tone, not provide the main course. YMMV of course. My main tone comes from my guitars and Rivera amp. A volume pedal and stomp tuner would be good advice if you plan on playing live often.

Good luck.
    Scott L.

14. asdf

asdf Member

http://generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/orangesqueezer_lo.gif
    A orange squeeze type compressor isn't too hard to build, if you build the BYOC Delay and like it you might want to save money and make the compressor yourself.

15. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

I wanted to start a thread up of a similar nature, but with slightly different questions. I thought It'd be better to revive this sucker with my questions/comments:

I play Americana/alt country music as well.. Im a big fan of bands/muscians like The Replacements/Wilco/Big Star/Bobby D/etc.. and their older british cousins: beatles/stones as well.

- My question is a two parter: What do you feel would be the most common "effect" elements in achieving these sounds? What effects "by type" would you include in a pedal board for this type of music? Be specific.. low gain vs. mid or high OD, 2 stage vs. 12 stage phaser, etc.

- The second part of the question: You own a guitar (your choice) and amp (your choice). You have 1000-1200 to purchase effects. What effects do you purchase, what order would you put them in, and why? No need to worry about board size or spending all that dough. I jus thought that was a decent, respectable max range.

16. erksin

erksin Member

I go for those alt-type tones as well and this is the board I've put together:

[​IMG]

I use the DLS for vibrato stuff (B-3/Magnatone style), not chorus. The Prisoner is a killer short time delay with modulation - great for tape echo sounds. I get tremolo and reverb from my amps. About the only thing I don't have is a proper Fuzz, but I'm not big on them for the most part - stacking my CoT50 into either the Blue Boy or Timmy provides more than enough filth for my taste...

17. Coach

Coach Senior Member

First: You need a good Fuzz Pedal that cleans up well for Wilco Tones. An AC-30 type amp would be best so you've got that dirty clean thing going on. If you don't have an AC-30 type amp then I'm not sure what to recommend you as I'm not too well versed with OD pedals. I own a Timmy which I love but I don't think it has the grit that your style calls for. But try it - you may like it.

Second:

Telecaster '52 RI

Not sure on the amp - I like my Twin and Fenders in general but I also love AC-30s and Marshalls...If I could have a couple I'd get one of each but if I had to pick one I'd be tempted to try to find an amp that can touch all three.

Pedals:
    Colorsound Fuzz
    Mutron Phaser
    Tubescreamer
    Timmy
    DMM

In that order

Explanation:

I like Tele's - I can't say why exactly because they've got a lot of bite and high end and it has it's own sound which is very hit or miss with genres. I'd like more guitars to do what a tele can't do but if I had to choose one it would be a tele just because I know (I've tried) to go without one.

As for pedals - I like them simple. The Timmy can do just about anything. Boost to low-gain and even serious saturated gain. You hear that often but I know I didn't expect it to be like it turned out to be. Great Pedal.

The DMM is just a classic it overdrives like a tape echo and sounds like one as well. No looping or long delay times and that's what I like. Very really and adds great ambience.

Colorsound Fuzz is the one pedal I knew right away I loved. It does something that hits a nerve with me. I'm tempted by the BJF PPF and Analogman sunlion and will probably get the former but the Colorsound will always be the Fuzz for me.

Tubescreamer to go along with the Timmy. TS impart a character on a sound where as the Timmy doesn't and if I am using a Fender amp, the TS just fits right.

Mutron phaser is there for whenever I feel the need for some modulation. The DMM has enough for me as I'm not a big fan of modulation. Incase there are times I'd like some extra swirl, I'd like to have the mutron there.

18. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

I started a new thread cause I realized how confusing my post was for people reading this thread. sorry!

19. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

Boss SD-1 (for gain) $30
    Digitech Bad Monkey (lead sound) $40
    Volume pedal $25
    Korg DT-3 $35
    Tuna melt $30
    Arion Chours $20
    Boss DD3 $90
    Board , Cables + power $40

TOTAL $320