If you had an analog delay,.....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Sid, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Sid

Sid Member

What Digital delay would you go for?

Eventide Timefactor
    BOSS DD-20
    TC Nova

Particularly,

Is the Eventide worth that extra few 100s of $$?
    Which has the best buffer(least tonal change) of the three?
    Any other criteria?

cheers
    Sid

2. stuey222

stuey222 Member

What's the point? If you want the analog sound, buy an analog pedal...

Anyway, FWIW, I've heard the DD-20 is very convincing on some models, but is by no means in the same category on analog delays such as the DMM or AD-9.

3. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Staff Member

Boss. Space Echo is way cool too....

4. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

I understand Sid's point completely. I do have several analog delays and one (no, make that two digitals - The ToysR'us special and an EarthQuacker devices Disaster Transport).

I will be buying an Eventide Timefactor. I will eventually end up with two (2) delays on my board . . .an analog (hopefully, the Echoczar - someday) and the Eventide. Two different useable applications.

5. Sid

Sid Member

Thanks for that....I should have been clear...I have an analog delay which I love and am NOT looking to replace, but I wold like some variety.....maybe something for tap tempo and wierd/textural/modulated delays.....something different from standard analog delay...:D

6. jonathansuhr

jonathansuhr Member

DL4 does the trick for me

7. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

8. Merelington

Merelington Member

Yea I was going to suggest the DL4. Has the tap tempo, nice clean sound with no tone loss. Its true bypass unless you switch it up to allow trail offs when you bypass the pedal. Even then I havn't noticed any tonal degredation whatsoever. PLua ita packed with loads of features. I like them so much I have two of them on my baord to cover my digital delay/looping needs.

If you get one...get the newer model with the block logo on the face..apparently the script ones have reliability issues.

9. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

10. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

I will praise my love of the Nova, yet again!
    Great features, great tone. :)

11. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Echo Park: all the good stuff of the DL4 except the presets and the tendency to die messily!

12. Sid

Sid Member

Even the shop guys say they have reliability issues...that cant be good

13. Sid

Sid Member

its the number 1 contender right now.....the dd-20 might cut ahead cos of looping facilities....but otherwise i prefer the nova tone wise...

the timefactor....sounds amazing but its the cost of an extra pedal....

14. WillHardy

WillHardy Member

I have the Timefactor. The selling point for me was that I can update it on the computer with geat ease. I have it along with a Maxon AD900 on my board and I could not be happier. I am particularly fond of the repeat function. You can create some cool layers with the repeat function. And I even like the looper on it. I have found the looper to be really easy to use. However, the Timefactor is really expensive and so you have to really love a delay with tons of features or have a lot of money to justify the expense. I have never tried the DD-20 or the Nova or the Replica or the DL4, so I don't have them to compare to. However, I like the Timefactor better than the EHX 16 second delay, which was my previous loop/delay of choice.

15. Daniel-San

Daniel-San Member

+1 On the Nova...Simply love it ;-)

16. enocaster

enocaster Member

The Timefactor is great, but very complex. I prefer it to the Nova, but you will need the manual more than most other pedals. If you want massive capability and are willing to invest the time hunched over it, get the Eventide. Otherwise I'd get the Nova, or look into an Echo Park.

17. HBob

HBob Member

I know what you mean. I have an AD99 and got the Timefactor for all the cool options and longer delays. The Time Factor is really nice. Very inspiring.

18. Teahead

Teahead Member

I own and love an old Ibanez AD-80, but like you I wanted longer times, modulation, tap tempo and all that jazz. The Timefactor was the answer to all that, I pretty much only use the digital delay and tape echo settings with the band and everything else is for fun at home so far.

The DSP (buffered) bypass of the TF is excellent, the relay (true) bypass is also great. When the software upgrades address the issues it will be the finest delay I've ever played.

19. SkydogFan81

SkydogFan81 Supporting Member

20. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

I have an AD-80 Ibanez and a DD-20. I sold the rest. These two do everything I need rihgt now.