If you had around $2000 to spend on a used/new Humbucker equipped guitar, what would you buy?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by stratchamp57, Dec 6, 2018.

1. stratchamp57

stratchamp57 Member

Just curious because I’m kinda in this situation right now, and I wanted to get some ideas just to see how much guitar I can get in this price range. I know I want something with at least one humbucker, but there’s just so many options out there at this price point and I just don’t know where to start.

I know some will say to get to a store and try a bunch out, but I don’t have any good music stores within 1 1/2 hours from me and even then, it’s hard to judge a guitar when it’s setup terribly like most are at GC and Sam Ash.

If you were in my situation, what would you get?

EDIT:
    Thanks for the replies everyone! It’s cool to see how many of our tastes differ and how many are the same.

Right now, I think I’ve narrowed it down to the PRS DGT and a Les Paul R8. Both have been suggested a lot in this thread. For the PRS, I’ve been having trouble finding non all mahogany ones and ones with colors I like under $2500, and with the R8, most are above $2500 as well including plain tops. The max I could do right now would be $2400 though. I’ll keep looking.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018 at 10:35 AM
  2. art_z

art_z Silver Supporting Member

3. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

90s Gibsons are a great starting point for good value in used humbucker guitars. The 90s was a good era for Gibson making a relatively small, unfussy range of high quality guitars, and they're not old old enough that people are trying to tag on 'vintage' premiums as they're beginning to do on the 80s versions. Pretty much any Les Paul, SG or 335 is likely to be a good guitar for the money and there are some cool quirkier guitars such as the long scale Nighthawk and the humbucker version of the ES135.

Also check out used Heritage, and the US made Guild Bluesbirds from the 90s are awesome LP style guitars for a fairly modest price.

buddy62, walkthewalk, Dannyz and 2 others like this.
  4. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Pedal Trading Guru Silver Supporting Member

The nicest LP I could find

lp1987x, edwarddavis, ahab and 3 others like this.
  5. sleewell

sleewell Member

6. Oinkus

Oinkus Member

2002 Gibson Faded Flying V and spend the rest on fixing it up right.

7. big mike

big mike Administrator Staff Member

Kauer Titan

Jeff_G, buddy62 and enharmonic like this.
  8. Benz2112

Benz2112 Member

Any guitar with humbuckers? I mean a Parker Fly and a 335 are both options, but those are completely different guitars. I've never had the problem of thinking of what kind of guitar to buy, but then that creates a problem onto itself.

MIJLOVER, Limenode and sedawkgrep like this.
  9. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Gretsch Duo Jet. A Filtertron is technically a humbucker ;)

flopman, LookerBob, dansworld and 2 others like this.
  10. mabinogeon

mabinogeon Silver Supporting Member

For $2,000? I'd pick up the new American Performer HS Telecaster and a DRRI.

JS-29, Kitwell and cratz2 like this.
  11. Jecht

Jecht Member

As huge fan of the 80s, I would be looking for the best vintage Kramer I could find. Ideally a Stagemaster, but would be checking out Barettas and Pacers too.

scott123 likes this.
  12. anuj

anuj Member

Ibanez AZ Prestige, without a doubt!

scolfax, adrianb, Brandon7s and 3 others like this.
  13. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

there's a world of new/used humbucking guitars out there for $2K or less. What are you looking for?

14. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    I agree with the first couple of posters who mentioned Gibson.

Of course, being the fussy, persnickety, old piece of sh^t that I am, I would save up another 4K, and buy what I just recently bought, which is a 2018 R9 LP.

I spoiled myself...or is it I soiled myself? I can't feel anything down there!

Washburnmemphis and bxlxaxkxe like this.
  15. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

Your first and only rule here:

Buy clean and used.

=K

16. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

If I were you, I'd buy this Gadow Custom Single 2008 Antique Sunburst listed on Reverb.
    https://reverb.com/item/15273800-ga...-sunburst?utm_source=ios-app&utm_medium=share

17. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

I'd buy a used Suhr Pete Thorn or Classic Pro SSH.

I think getting either of these without getting to play them 1st would be very safe.

18. changeling

changeling Member

See,
    The thing is,I kinda feel sorry for a guy with 2stacks that doesn't know what to get.
    Cause all the time saving up,I would have been noticing what I liked,and what I didn't.
    I feel like this question is only answerable by you.
    I sincerely hope that doesn't read as harsh,because it's not my intent.

Cause,in the end,all you're gonna get is what other people's favorite thing is,right?
    How does that serve your interests?
    It can't,really.

But in your situation being far from stuff,research is your closest ally.
    Wish I could have been more help,man.

19. stratchamp57

stratchamp57 Member

I actually just sold a Gibson 335 mostly because it wasn’t my kind of guitar and was just a little too airy and jazzy for the stuff I play. I just want to try something different. I already have a pretty good SG standard, but I just want something else to compliment it. I’ve been looking at PRS and EBMM guitars, and I really love the look of the new Turquoise Stingray RS, but I’m just afraid I might not like the narrower nut width.
    I already have a pretty good SG, but I just want something else to compliment it. I just sold a 335 because I just couldn’t get along with it, and originally I wanted to get a les Paul, but I’ve been hearing how inconsistent they are(unless you get a historic) and that’s it’s better to play one before buying which isn’t an option for me. If I could find an R8 for around $2000, I might jump on it, but I haven’t seen anything below $2500.

I’ve also been eyeing an EBMM Stingray RS, but I’m afraid I wouldn’t like the narrower nut width.

Gibson Dog likes this.
  20. TYR

TYR Member

If buying new, I'd pick from one of the following:

- Ibanez AZ2402
    - Tokai Love Rock LS196
    - Ernie Ball Music Man Cutlass RS