If you had around $2000 to spend on a used/new Humbucker equipped guitar, what would you buy?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by stratchamp57, Dec 6, 2018 at 12:39 PM.

1. pinkfloyd

pinkfloyd Member

2. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

Perhaps an ES Les Paul gold top with a Bigsby or Floyd and series-parallel push-push 500K pots

3. Jimmy_Rage

Jimmy_Rage Member

What kind of music are you going to be playing? That should narrow down the options.

Tommy Biggs and Thwap like this.
  4. Hank Habanero

Hank Habanero Member

Is a used Les Paul Axcess doable for 2k?

5. fenderjapan

fenderjapan World Heavyweight Champion Silver Supporting Member

EBMM Axis.
    I have had no problems adjusting to nut width.
    I recommend the standard Floyd equipped model, it is non recessed/dive only and sounds great, but you can get the super sport if you want a hardtail or regular 2 point trem.

6. lowyaw

lowyaw Member

Suhr Classic S Pro HSS

7. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

8. scott123

scott123 Member

9. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

10. nbessie1

nbessie1 Silver Supporting Member

A mid-90s or early 2000s Les Paul Classic and upgrade the pickups (and still stay well under 2k) :)

11. Barquentine

Barquentine Member

12. vourot

vourot Member

13. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken Member

This is one of the most TGP threads ever. Let's just throw EVERY guitar out there and help the OP narrow things down.
    OP-
    Do you prefer bolt on or set neck guitars? Are you sensitive to weight and ergonomics? Fixed bridge or whammy bar? Active or passive electronics? Solid or semi-hollow or full hollowbody? What other guitar(s) do you own? What is your current #1? Do you want something in the vein of one of your influences? Are there particular tones you are trying to get?
    Pretty much ANY guitar can be bought or built with at least one humbucking pickup. a $2K budget is substantial by most any standard.
    I'd do this backwards, ruling out things that you have no interest in and getting a short list together.
    If I had 2K burning a hole in my pocket today I can think of 3 or 4 things I would look at right away and none of them are even remotely like each other.

ElectricPhase and Thwap like this.
  14. sixstring531

sixstring531 Supporting Member

15. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

I'd either get an Ibanez Frederik Thordendal "Stoneman",
    or a good bass for recording.

16. stratchamp57

stratchamp57 Member

Is this a joke, or are you serious?

I play a wide variety of music, almost everything except metal and jazz. I’m just not sure excactly what’d I’d want out of this guitar. There’s just so many different options. I already have a strat and an SG that I like, so maybe something that would compliment them. I really like vibratos and tremolo systems, so maybe one that has that?

No preference for bolt on or set neck. I don’t think I’d like a guitar heavier than 9 lb’s because of my back pain. I really like tremolo systems, so I think something with that. Fixed is fine though, but I think I’d prefer a Trem. Anything but active pickups is fine. Solid body for sure. I didn’t really get along with the 335 I just sold. I currently own a MIM strat with some upgrades that’s nice, and also an SG standard with some upgrades. Both are solid, but I just want something different.

I really like classic rock and 80’s stuff, so maybe a guitar geared toward that sort of music?

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  17. Strato62

Strato62 Member

PRS S2 Custom 22, with trem and coil taps, around $1500, that would do it for me. a nice compliment to my Les Paul Studio and could replace my often fussy Stratocaster for numerous songs.

18. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

Very much a joke, brotha ... I hate that term.

19. natebernstein

natebernstein Member

I have been wanting a Gibson CS-336 for quite some time. I have tried to get on with LPs but don't (except for a Special doublecut with P-90s), and like my ES-333 but dig the smaller body of the 339. The 336 is more like an LP, construction-wise, and a bit like the 339 ergonomically/with the semi-hollow thing going on. I am currently on the wagon with respect to new guitars but you may be able to pick up a used one on that budget. Several available on Reverb right now.