If you had around $2000 to spend on a used/new Humbucker equipped guitar, what would you buy?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by stratchamp57, Dec 6, 2018 at 12:39 PM.

1. zeffbeff

zeffbeff Member

I'll have to be contrary here and recommend splitting that $2000 into either two guitars, or one guitar and one amp.

Me? I'd hit up a Gibson (les Paul Jr or Special, maybe an SG), with a Fender or Marshall amp.

2. Coopster

Coopster Supporting Member

Oh...in that case get a Charvel Pro Mod or DK24 with a Floyd and save some money for something else.

3. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

I'd go to the store and look at all of the used Gibson Les Paul guitars, and the new Tributes.

I've always maintained that when looking to purchase a Guitar don't get it in your head you are going to get 'x', 'y' or 'z' color or top. go to the store and play every single one of that model - if they only have one or two, then go to several stores. If you play 10, 1 will be crap, 3 will be lack luster, 5 will be ok and one will be 'WOW!".

Buy the "wow!".

Every Guitar I've ever purchase was in a color I didn't care for, but played and felt great.

Buy an Epiphone hard shell case - you won't feel bad about throwing it out and buying a new one when you trash it after 5 years o the road.

Then I'd buy pickups [SD Jazz neck and '59 bridge], 550k pots, 15Pu caps, switchcraft switch and jack, and cloth pushback wiring, and rewire the guitar 50's style with those components. Then, since we have the budget, I'd take it to my favorite Luthier and have him cut a new nut and re-fret it with stainless steel frets.

you should still be under $2k, and have an amazing [and extremely versatile] guitar that should last you nearly forever.

4. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

surprised at how much I liked the Black Eastman I played recently at SoundPure. I'm a Gibson guy, but would seriously consider if in the market.

[​IMG]

5. baklavaa

baklavaa Member

used suhr. You can get a good used one on reverb in the 1800-2000 dollar range, and there will be no fretwear issues due to the stainless steel frets.

6. line_rider

line_rider Member

I would make my own because then I could have two.

7. ninjaninja88

ninjaninja88 Supporting Member

I would strongly suggest checking out the Fano line, and for a little more you might be able to get a Novo. I’m a huge fan and my number 1 has become a Fano standard JM6 with Humbuckers. I believe they are proprietary Seymour Duncan.

Mincer likes this.
  8. kinmike

kinmike Supporting Member

9. jaycee77

jaycee77 Member

Easy..Charvel San Dimas pro mod. 2 humbuckers with built in options to play single coils. Aside from basically having 2 guitars in 1, Charvel necks are the most comfortable necks that you will play imho. It'll set you back about a G...you can use the leftover for a new amp, pedals??

10. staybobo

staybobo Member

Ibanez DN500K with Seymour Duncan Custom Shop Prototype JB/Jazz set with 1meg volume and 500k tone.

Mincer likes this.
  11. FFOGG

FFOGG Fat Frustated Old Guy w/ Gut Gold Supporting Member

This is a great choice Or Gibson Les Paul chambered reissue

12. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

Hands down another Hamer USA (Artist, Studio, Newport)... fantastic instruments. I have 2 Artists and I’m not sure I’d trade them for anything.

13. jwguitar

jwguitar Member

If you want something out of the ordinary you could get a PureSalem Levitation Guitar (They even have them in Lefty and 12 string configurations!) You can pocket the other $1000 dollars and call it a day. No need to over spend!

14. rummy

rummy Member

15. Gclef

Gclef Member

16. surfnguitars

surfnguitars Supporting Member

17. Rob303

Rob303 Member

I’ve gotta hankering for a Heritage 535. Used will put you below budget. Never seen one in person but I’m sold from afar.

18. GhostBath

GhostBath Member

19. Joshua Bernstein

Joshua Bernstein Supporting Member

20. Bill McDowell

Bill McDowell Gold Supporting Member