If you had it to over again?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bob01480, Mar 15, 2006.

1. bob01480

bob01480 Supporting Member

Another way to phrase the questions is " if I knew then what I know now" .I was wondering what some of you guys with a lot of experience and knowledge would recommend to someone just getting started on this quest. I know this is a broad questions but a couple thoughts from you guys could help a lot of newbies out. Thanks

2. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

Grasshopper:

My first thought was "restraint". In general I would hold on to pedals (I thought I was sick of) a bit longer. And resist the impluse to buy for a week or two.

Buying used is a good idea too.

Now I must journey to Taco Bell.....

3. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

IF I knew what I knew now, I would get a good Tele with some lollars, some snake oil strings, RMC wah, Great Fuzz (retroman Sybil), Red Snapper, DLS chorus-vib, Mojo Vibe, good delay (sad-1, echopark, EM-5) george l's, Pedal Power or some other power source (I can almost see all the batteries piled up that I have thrown away all these years) nice clean amp with a great EQ and reverb. At least thats where I am now.... LOL :)

Also, I would know that practice makes your rig sound better than any pedal out there.

4. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

After playing many, many pedals these would be choices:

Distortion/overdrive: Fulltone Fulldrive (single coils), Blackstone Appliance (any amp any guitar) or Menatone Blue Collar (humbuckers)

Chorus: Analogman Clone Chorus, I have the mini chorus which is the same thing in a smaller package. I have tried or owned, the H&K Rotosphere, Choralflange, and Small Clone.

Wah: Teese Picture wah, just a remarkably sweet sounding pedal.

Compressor: Analogman Juicer, great pedal with just the right amount of compression. When I use it I'm reminded of my Tweed deluxe, the sag is just like a tube amp.

Other then these items nothing else makes me say I've got to have it, but then again I haven't played everything. This list would be a good starting point for anyone.

5. cvansickle

cvansickle Member

I would have bought a tube amp first, instead of solid state. Tone is more important than simplicity.

I wouldn't have wasted so much money on disposable guitars and effects. The Ibanez Power Series and Dano minis were fun for a while, but they've all (well, most) been replaced by better pedals. As for guitars, a good Les Paul, Strat and Tele will take you further than a truckload of Jackson Soloists.

I would have bought stock in Microsoft and Apple around 1984.

6. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

If I would have known what I know now, back then, when I started out, I would have bought that 64 Stat for $400 bucks and kept my $40 TS-808. I would have keep the Fender Princeton instead of selling it for $75 to buy a Kahler Trem for my Ibanez copy. I would have learned to read music and spent as much time on a piano as guitar, practice my vibrato. Oh Yeah, I would have asked Ellen W. out!

7. Python

Python Member

I discovered that your guitar and amp play a very important roll in what are "the best" effects.

Spend the time and money up front getting the guitar and amp combination that gives you the tone you are looking for.

From there, try out some of the basic pedals that enhance that already great tone you have.

8. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

i would practice with a metronome.

i would have taken my backpack-full-of-gear out of the trunk that night before they were stolen.

i would have bought fralin "vintage hot" pickups instead of "blues specials"

i would have began building pedals instead of building a new guitar.

9. ewa

ewa Member

Here here, Big Bob. Yes, I agree! I would have held on to pedals from ages past that sounded great but others were doubtful of. ewa

10. jeak

jeak Member

Read this again, guys. Lots of wisdom in it. In other words: Live! That's why I have no regrets about all the gear detours I have taken. Sure, I've blown a ton of money. Sure, if I knew then what I know now, I would have saved a ton of money. And time. And trouble. But guess what. How else would I have learned what I know now? Every pedal that doesn't work out is a lesson. Every amp you sell that you later wish you hadn't is a lesson. Every piece stolen from the trunk is a lesson. Each time you watch a dumb movie instead of practicing the night before a gig is a lesson. GAS can be good and GAS can be bad, but either way, it's an experience. And there's no substitute for that. I have big high school reunion coming this year, and if Christie G. is there, I'm gonna ask her out!

11. trucks

trucks Member

I'm pretty happy with my board; however, I would not have found these tones without trial and effort. I think a pedalboard is a journey not a destination. ;)

Still, two things:

1) Don't let price decide either up or down

and

2) Buy a Timmy.

12. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

after you've bought your guitar and amp, instead of buying a pedal, get a 4-track of some sort first. if you want to improve as a songwriter and/or player, I think this will help immensely.

13. radicool

radicool Member

If i could do it all over again, I'd believe what my ears tell me, not what I read. I used to think I had no ears at all - things that I thought were sounding good were dismissed as garbage by "experts" with lots more experience than I. Turns out, a lot of those garbage items are now "forgotten gems" and "pawnshop prizes". I guess I'm not stupid...

14. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I would have held on to all my Boss pedals from high school, and had them modded, instead of buying some horrid rack gear, selling that, and buying all those pedals again...

15. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

I agree. I played for about 8 years, and then bought a 4 track. In 6 months, my playing skill and songwriting skills at least doubled. I think it wasn't because of the 4 track, but because I was playing more, because I had it. I also was trying to get things right, instead of just playing through the mistakes.

I owned several solid state amps and crapper pedals like the Daddy-O, arion delays and OD's, etc. I always just invested in having a nice electric guitar (Heritage H140CM with a fancy setup..) and played a lot of acoustic guitar then. Now days, I wish I had just invested in a American Standard telecaster, and spent more money on an amp, and other, more expensive, but higher quality effects. About 5 years ago, I purchased some early Barber pedals, and 3 years ago, I invested in an AC30 and I haven't used any of my other amps since.

Once again, the journey is there, and I think that's important. It probally could have been jumpstarted earliar though.... I might be a better/more knowledge player now, instead of the skilled acoustic player, whose increasing in electric abuilities and knowledge like I am now.

what do I recommend purchase wise? A good tube amp (too me, vintage sounds better - Fender, Marshall, Hiwatt, Vox), and a basic guitar: Tele, Paul. Buy yourself a simple tubescreamer decendant OD (I recommend the barber Direct Drive (more available and cheap on the used market) or a Timmy for a beginner). Pick up a compressor and a clean boost, try what you like in the gain equipment, and then move into the More knowledge/higher dollar equipment. this has worked well for me. Youll understand the tech stuff as you develop a knowledge base through your experiance with less techie toys.

16. tbhuey

tbhuey Member

Wow...where to begin. I would consider first your budget, and then from there obviously start with a guitar and amp. What is going to be your primary guitar...do you like single coils or humbuckers? Who do you like and want to sound similar too? Settle on a guitar, then move to an amp. I would suggest a tube amp. Now you have to ask the question where do want your drive to come from, the amp or pedals? Where will you be playing? How much volume will you need or be able to get away with? This will help in determining what amps to try. I would get those two things (guitar and amp) settled first and then move on to effects.

Bob

17. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I would have bought favorite guitars sooner. I would bought my vintage plexi sooner. I would have started recording to digital sooner. I would have I would have bought my Stage Hog sooner.

18. Madsman

Madsman Member

I don't regret many of my purchases, but obviously if I could have fine tuned my selections, I would have.

The thing is, I don't think you CAN fine tune it without going through a boatload of gear. So to that end, the pedals and amps I've gone through were necessary blips on the space time continuum.

What I would do, that would have saved me money in the long run:

1). Buy a tube amp. Anything will do, but choose based on the music you make and the music you like... don't buy a Univalve if you're playing death metal, and don't buy a Krank if you're... don't buy a Krank.

2). Don't choose pedals solely based on price. Meaning, don't be afraid to pony up $400 if that's what a pedal costs, and there's no real competitor. To the same end, don't assume a pedal is good because it's expensive.

3). Start with essentials and get the fun stuff later. IMO, OD and Delay for me are essentials. I guess Tuner is too, but I wouldn't buy any pedal tuner other than the Strobo, so if you're not going to drop around $200 on a tuner, I'd go with something small and inexpensive.

4). Spend less time obsessing about gear, and more time (exponentially) PLAYING.

19. jimmisixstrings

jimmisixstrings Member

Don't leave gear in your car, or assume that if it were to ever get stolen that your homeowners or renters insurance would "take care of it". They'll find anyway to refuse your claim, I got scr*wed because I play for money and therefore should have had an Offland/Marine policy for "commercial" purposes such as mine. If they only knew how little the most gig-fortunate musician actually brings home after gas, G.A.S., and a bartab....
    jimmi

20. bob01480

bob01480 Supporting Member

Lots of good advice. Seems like most agree to get a good amp and guitar first.As for pedals I first got a few OD's which is what most of us are looking for. Then later I picked up a Pic Wah which for me is the most fun. Now I'm on the modulation hunt.Vibe and chorus will be next.